Hello, longtime lurker here.

Finally starting to collect pieces for my CNC project. I have the base which is put together from a Rousseauco workbench system 44"x64". One 44x44 section and one 20x20 section and 3/4" Industrial MDF. At one end of the workbench I plan on having the dust collector motor (HarborFreight 2 HP) inside a sound proofed enclosure. This area is 44x20.

The cutting area of the machine is 48" x 48". I only see cutting wood or plastic on this, no metals. Subject to change though. Signs, plaques, cabinets, mantels, patterns,carpenters tool boxes, etc.

I have an old Sears Router Crafter that I will use for a 4th axis once I get a motor hooked to it.

Electronics will be steppers, around 400oz. Not sure on the drivers yet, more than likely GECKO's. I have a Makita 2 1/4hp variable speed router, that's been collecting dust, for the spindle. trying to find a quick chuck system for it.

I'm very set on FineLineAutomation's Rack & Pinnion system.

Top end of the system will be 8020 construction. Z axis TBD, X axis 3030, Y axis ? With a 6" cut depth.

Y axis will also be dual driven.

A question I have is, would 1530 that is bolted down be stiff enough for the Y axis or should I go with 3030?

I receive $500 a month for being a moving target in my earlier years. Budget for my project is $500 a month, already spent for January. February's is burning a hole in my pocket, researching the 8020 stuff.

Don