586,299 active members*
3,917 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 2 of 6 1234
    Why does someone need a "V carving" software? Can't this same thing be done using any of the many dxf to g-code converters as its just 2.5D. Can't you just tell the bit how deep to go and cut without any tool compensation. Won't that work?

thanks
    taus
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

I couldn't agree more but "V carving" is the cheapest way to get dxf or plt files to run on cnc. I am writing as an hobbyist. Otherways you get some software with 30 days expiration or other trick.

Taus,
    I don't think its as easy as that because the depth is continually varying for complex shapes. A single depth works for cutting very simple shapes, but more complex designs are a whole different story. Get the software and try it. No other software I have seen does it this easily, at this price and with such good results. The the new features allow for 2.5d milling of designs.

Jason

Hi Taus,

VCarving is very different to simple 2D machining. With 2D machining the tool is positoned at a constand Z depth to create a pocket or groove on the job, leaving the radius of the cutter in any corner regions.

The process of VCarving (also sometimes referred to as 3D Engrave) moves the V shaped or engraving cutter in all 3 axes simultaneously (X, Y & Z at the same time), lifting it out of the material in the corner regions so only the tip of the tool is cutting, resulting in small / no fillet rads in the corners.

As Jason says above, for complex designs that include very small detailed regions, the only way to machine them is to use conical / v cutters and 3D vcarving toolpaths.

The images below show the didderent results from 2D and 3D VCarving moves.

Machining inside the letter 'T' shows where the cutter radius would be left in the corners if machined using a 2D strategy, and how a poined conical tool would be lifted in the corners to pick out as much detail as possible

Machining the outside of the letter 'e' to leave it raised would also leave fillets in the corner regions, but cutting with a 3D vcarving toolpath will lift the tool to remove the corner details and produce a more accurate result.

Hope this makes sense?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2D+3D Results.jpg   e-raised2d+3d.jpg  

Tony, I don't think it is just about accuracy, but V-carving is beautiful too. It allows the shadows to show through and creates a wonderful piece that would be otherwise impossible with standard 2.5D techniques.
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Very good point Kong.

The angled walls created by the conical / V cutter reflect the light back out of the pocket regions, which creates very interesting and beautiful results that make the finish machined piece look different from each viewing angle.

Generally the wider the incuded angle of the tool the more light is reflected off the design and the more interesting the job looks. This is very important when making signs because the more interesting and attractive the sign the more impact it will have as a useful sign.

As with most things, there is a trade off between the angle of the tool and the depth of cut. Where machining small detail with a very wide angled tool will result in shallow cut depth, that may then be lost altogether

The diagram below tries to show how the angle of the cutter impacts the amount of light refelected off the machined surfaces.

Let me know if this needs more explanation?

Tony Mac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Reflection of light.jpg  

I downloaded the trial and I have a simple question:

What are the steps to select the desired depth of a carving?

In the work resume I see the maximum depth but I dont quite get it where this parameter is entered or how is controlled.

Thanks

Hello Peu,

The maximum depth to machine to is specified on the Create VCarve Toolpath form.

Check the box for - Flat Depth (F) = depth of pocket

See the attached image that shows a Flat Depth of 0.250"

Hope this helps,

Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Flatdepth.jpg  

Hi,

Is here somebody who bought the software and used it with his own files? Are the results the same as per demo files? I am little skeptical about the software as it allowed you on the demo version to use only the files provided with it. I am interested in this software but I would like to know the opinion of someone using his files and not the refined files provided by producer. Any opinions?

Thank you,

Zoltan

Hi Zoltan,

You can review some of our customer comments that have been posted on the Vectric forum.

http://vectric.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43

The Customer Gallery also includes pictures of jobs cut by customers along with their contact details.

If you e-mail us directly I can also let you have contact details for many, more very happy customers who have cut exactly what they see on the screen. The virtual world on the PC can't represent external factors such as vibration due to tough material or blunt cutter or machine rigidity. But so long as the correct tool size and settings are used, what you see in the Preview window is exactly what you will get off the machine.

You could also try asking Grizzmo (Bob Hutchinson) who has posted in this thread, as he's purchased and I think he's very happy with the software.

You can also e-mail one of your own designs (eps. dxf, ai format) to us with details of the machine / controller you run and the tooling you have, and we will send back the toolpath file to run on your own machine.

Hope this helps,

Tony Mac

Ahhh I see. So when you talk about V carving we are really talking about 3D stuff. Great pics and notes on what the differences are Tony.

Thanks. See you learn something new everyday

taus
    Thanks,
    tauseef
    www.cuttingedgecnc.com

Zolton,
    I purcased the software about a week ago now......I ablolutly love it.....I had several other packages ....this is great software......I cant say enough about it...I have a couple of fonts in Corel that it does not convert well, but overall it is great. Well worth the expense. (sorry tony but it wont convert one of my fonts) it leaves letterxout and you never know which one. maybe im doing something wrong in corel it is a particularly narrow font

Hi Bob,

I suspect the missing letters is down to some of the characters overlapping, which is sometimes seen when using some of the 'Script' fonts. These need to be 'Welded' together (in VCW or Corel / design package) to create single closed boundaries for vcarving or engraving.

The image below shows text created in Corel using the font 'Edwardian script' and shows where the letters overlap.

To 'Fix' - Open the design in VCW, then using the Shift key select each pair of letters and Weld them together, creating a single closed vector boundary.

If this isn't the problem you are seeing, please can you send me a file so we can investigate further.

Tony Mac
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Overlapping Letters.jpg  

tony, im sure its the font....its called rosalind....and it is pretty cool....but i can live without it....not a big deal

Thanks bob

Tony,

The program is great, now i need to get something to carve through so i can paint just the carved out stuff....I will prefinish the base sign, then carve. one fella told me he uses a paint mask.....guess its like a tape...I have tried all kinds of tape and the details seem to tear away...another said he uses self adhesive formica.....havent tried that yet......Do you do this type of painting and if you do what do you mask with that will not peel off the base paint...or come up when it its carved
    thanks
    Bob....did several more will post tonight

Hi Bob,

I haven't actually done this for myself but believe that many sign makers use the following 2 masking products to seal the surface before carving,

‘Gerber Mask II’ from Gerber / 3M
    ‘Paint Mask Film / Economy Spray Mask - A1828-S-E’ from Avery

No idea of prices or sourcing.

Cheers,

Tony

This might not be the right place to ask this question but I've been trying to decide on what software to get from my new cnc machine. I was originally set on buying Deskcnc but after seeing Vcarve I'm up in the air. I plan I using my machine mostly for inlay work. So a lot of pocketing and outside contour cuts. Which it looks like Vcarve would be able to do. One advantage I see to Vcarve is it can import eps files, which would save me a lot of work converting them with AutoCAD or some other program. Vcarve can also do vcarving, which is pretty cool. But Deskcnc can import image files and carve them in 3d. Also as most things in life nothing is free and Vcarve is twice the price. So what should I do? I don't see myself doing a ton of 3d stuff but I have a few things I would like to do in 3D. Like I said most of my stuff will be inlays. Also in Vcarve can you select different tool paths for different parts of the part? (I might be asking this wrong) What I mean is say I want to cut out a wheel, I'd need to cut the circle out, then have the spokes which might be a different depth, and then the space between the spokes, which would be all the way thru. I understand I might be trying to use Vcarve for something it wasn't designed for but I also don't want to have to buy 2 or 3 different software packages if I can help it.

Thanks
    Take it easy.
    Jay (www.cncjay.com)

Hi Dighsx,

Although the name of VCarve Wizard implies it's specifically for 3D vcarving toolpaths, the software also includes some very good 2d toolpath options that will certainly allow you to do what you require.

Using you example of the wheel, you simply select the outer circle and calculate a toolpath to cut on the Outside to the required depth. The select the spokes and calculate another toolpath that pockets out these areas to a new z depth. You can calculate as many different toolpaths as are required to complete the job.

If you are cutting in-layed parts that need to fit together the geometry must have sharp internal and external corners removed, so the male piece will fit into the femal pocket or cavity. Although not fully automatic, we can give you simple instructions on how to use the 'Offset vector' tools to modify the geometry to suit the cutter radius in corner regions. Sorry if you may already know how to do this in your design software.

I don't wish to sound hard on deskcnc, but converting 2d images into realistic 3d models is always a challenge. I would suggest that you experiment with some of your own photo / pictures / images to see how they convert into 3D?

Hope this helps with your decision.

Tony Mac

Plus you can find image to machine converter on the WWW for about free...
    My business Web site - USINUM - www.cooptel.qc.ca/~usinum
    My BLOG at Blogger - http://pacosarea.blogspot.com/

Gerry, so long i took so much time to respond,.....I had already done all that....I turned out there were 2 jumpers in the box....that overide the program controls...all is well now....
    Thanks for the response....Tim Called me about 10 minutes after i posted

Bob Hutchinson
    Grizzmo...

Page 2 of 6 1234