586,075 active members*
4,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Fadal > Whats The Difference? 88HS -vs- 32MP

Whats The Difference? 88HS -vs- 32MP

What is the difference between the 88HS control and the 32MP control? Is the 32MP worth the $6500.00 option? Am looking at the Fadal EMC.

32 is the 88 with a PC inside. The two systems communicate via 422 port. It comes loaded with Gibbs shop floor Cad/Cam, hard disk storage, disk, and transfer utilities.

You can add a CD or zip, or whatever as easy as you can to a PC so that is nice. Sometimes I have big files, 2-3 megs so being able to burn to a CD and walk it out, mid program start if I need to is real nice.

For 6500 bones I'd probably skip it, spend less on 4 or 8 megs of memory and just DNC the big files right to the control memory.

If you never use big files there would be little point, especially if you already have CAD/CAM software.

The 88 with a disk drive will pretty much do anything the 32 will do otherwise.

Ok, thats what I wanted to know. I would get the 8 or 16 megs anyway. I like having plenty of memory on the control and sending code via RS232. I already have CAM software so the 32 is no use to me. Thanks

ok so i just bought a 1984 vmc40 that has a cnc88 controller is it updatable and how is it diffrent from the 32 or 88hs??? i havent been alble to fire it up yet watting on a 3ph interter

The CNC88 is a very good control. I would save the money on any memory upgrades if you plan on running DNC. The memory included is sufficient for most needs. I have run surfacing programs for model airplane wing molds and had the memory half full of other programs and not had any issues.

CT

so is it capable of 3d

wow, you said you cut some molds for rc airplanes wings?? due to the airfoil it would have to be able to do 3d contouring,i didnt think that a 1984 controller had this ability??

My machine was a 1995 model. As long as you have two axis simultaneous control it can be done. All of the moves were Z and Y interpolative moves. The X was moved incrementaly to provide "step over". Difficult to do without software.

95 should be a 88hs

thx for the response i think a 95 model will have a 88hs contraller vs i have the orignal cnc88 im not sure what it is capable of doing yet im haveing a hard time finding info on it??

chrisw

I have a 94 and the memory is laughable.
    I believe the 95 ^ is the first year of the AC servos and they did have reasonable memory, my 94 (and I would assume yours is similar) has pathetic memory and I have to DNC anything over about 2500 blocks (starting with a clear memory).
    As most anyone will tell you, just overlook the shortcomings and use the machine as is OR tear out the Fadal stuff and retrofit a new control. Upgrading the existing control will still leave you with a major underachiever and cost a lot.
    For example - for me to upgrade the 88HS to 4XXKb memory (yes Kb) is 4 - 5k.
    www.integratedmechanical.ca

Darbee--
    Your 94 Fadal could be expanded to 422K of memory which will hold a lot more than 2500 lines of code. In order to go beyaon 422K then you must have the -5 system upgrade. Then you can get up to a max of 16 meg.

Neal

As I said it's 4 - 5K, that is WAY too much money for 422kb

Darebee--
    I don't know where THAT price came from. 422K memory expansion card does NOT cost anywhere near that amount.
    Call Fadal Parts and see what they tell you.
    If your machine has the dash five and you want to go to 16 megabyte memory then your looking a high dollars due to the fact that this is NOT PC Simm memory. Its more complex than that.

Neal

Thanks Neal
    When I was given that price I guess exchange rate was about 60c to the dollar and haven't pursued since.

I looked at the fadel emc Ridgid tapping $2200 extra coolant pump and pan 1/2 hp $2100. single phase $1900 after a few options the price was over $40000.Plus fadel
    put out the new 104d control and every one is having problems with it. Why would fadel release a new control with so many problems .I know the emc does not come with the 104d control but they had to know about the bugs in the control .That tells me to stay away .
    So insted i bought a sharp mini mill it came with ridged tapping collant pump
    box ways , more travel ,it weights 2000 lbs more and has a fanuc control.
    Sharp inclued shipping ,rigging set up and 4 hours of training for $35000.

http://www.sharp-industries.com/index.htm
    Tim

I got a price on a 2005 EMC a month ago from my local dealer. With the options you list above minus single phase the machine came out to $26,500 thats with the 88hs control and the EMC is available with the Fanuc 18iM the 104D the 32MP or the 88hs.

For $26000 thats way below the list price .If I was ofered that deal i would have gotten the fadel.
    Tim

My closest dealer was in New Jersey, your prices may vary due to your location. I am just sharing the quote I got. The price does not include freight and rigging but it does include a day of on-site training. I have used an older 2004 EMC and I think it is a good machine for the money and compact as well. How is your Sharp Mini mill working for you? I looked at them but have never used or seen one.