586,033 active members*
3,375 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question (Brackets) after Program Number (O)

Hi All,
    Time to test just how good you boffins really are.

I've wrote a tasty program where # parameters control a set of conditions that machine different sizes of aircraft blades.

When you type ie:-
    #101=12204

You get a 12204 type blade.
    this is on a matsuura twin pallet machine.
    with me so far ?

when your first line of progams reads so :-

O1234 (LW12204);

The LW12204 man readable is displayed at the top of the screen and is also in the program directory.

Can somebody tell me how to send the #101 value to the display instead of having to type it in.

I think that makes sense.

Cheers in advance Alan

Per the Fanuc manuals (this is a Fanuc, yes?)

"Program numbers, sequence numbers, and optional block skip numbers cannot be referenced using variables.

Sorry.

Thanks for the reply,

but I'm trying to access the annotation on the same line as the program number.

Do you think this might be possible.

Once again cheers in advance

Alan

I'm a little confused by your terminology.

Can somebody tell me how to send the #101 value to the display instead of having to type it in.
    but I'm trying to access the annotation on the same line as the program number.
    What are you going for here?
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Sorry, I'll try to be clearer.
    The annotation in brackets after the program number, (on the first line), is always different, I wish to control this annotation in program because this annotation is displayed on the screen during the machines cutting cycle, thus informing the operator what job is being cut at that precise momment.

I hope this is clearer if not please don't give up on this topic, just reply and i'll try again.

once again cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by alanblackwell
    Sorry, I'll try to be clearer.
    The annotation in brackets after the program number, (on the first line), is always different, I wish to control this annotation in program because this annotation is displayed on the screen during the machines cutting cycle, thus informing the operator what job is being cut at that precise momment.

I hope this is clearer if not please don't give up on this topic, just reply and i'll try again.

once again cheers.

The information between the parenthesis ( ) is called a comment. If you are asking if you can change this via a macro command, I don't think believe it is possible. There are ways to create operator messages with Macro statements, but do not know the specifics. As I assume you already know, you can put anything you want between the ( ) characters as they are only comments, however, depending on the control and options, you may not be able to change them on the control, rather on a computer then re-download the program.

I hope this answers your question, but I am still not 100% sure I understand the question.

Chris

I guess all I want to know is how or where is the contents of the first parenthesis ( ) stored in the control system, (Fanuc).
    If I knew this maybe I could "frig it".

cheers again.

Quote Originally Posted by alanblackwell
    I guess all I want to know is how or where is the contents of the first parenthesis ( ) stored in the control system, (Fanuc).
    If I knew this maybe I could "frig it".

cheers again.
    As with all other CNC statements, it is stored in program memory. It is not a macro statment as in the case of [#23] where it is stored in a variable register. Macro statements use the square brackets [ ] and comments use the parenthesis ( ). So, I don't think there is anyway you are going to access the information inside them.

I think that answers your question, if not, keep asking.

Chris

"()" is not a macro statement, so its not stored. You can trigger macros to give operator messages, however these are alarms or warnings when certain conditions are not met. If you're using a macro to run certain part numbers, then set it up as a sub (the part programs). Most controls will 'display' the current running program. So when you start, you'll have program 101 displayed. In it, you run the macro, sub call to 1234, and now the display name changes to (LW 12204) since its running this "sub". Now, not all controllers do this, but yours might.

Beyond that, I think its gonna be a ladder issue to somehow alter the display. I haven't messed with that.
    It's just a part..... cutter still goes round and round....

Ok guys thanks for all your input, I'll leave this thread open and if I find an answer within the next day or so I'll post it up for you all.

Once again thanks for all your input.
    Alan