586,077 active members*
3,997 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

G0704 CNC Plans

Even though I have had various issues with my G0704, the CNC conversion portion of it actually seems to be working pretty well so I am going to post up and plans or pictures that I have in hopes that it may be of some value to other zoners. I need to clean stuff up as I go to add notes, account for small changes I made, etc so I will just post as I have time to do so. I will start out by adding images of the plans and then follow up with DXF files.

I had access to my CNCd X2 to do most of this work. I would imagine you could make most of the stuff on the mill manually if need be and the designs that would be difficult to do manually could be simplified (the X and Z brackets and the ballnut mounts).

At some point, I will put it all into a web page to try and make it a little more cohesive.

Please let me know if this is or isn't of value to the zone before I go too far down this path. I don't want to waste unnecessary bytes.

Disclaimer:

I may have made some minor changes to these designs during part creation for whatever reason and I will try to point that out as I go but use your head and make whatever changes are appropriate for your build. I am not responsible for any part wasting because something doesn't fit or damage to to your machine due to any modifications required to fit these parts.

Ballscrews

I bought my ballscrews and nuts from ebay seller linearmotionbearings2008 (Chai). I also had him do the end machining which I believe he did for $21. In total, I got the 3 screws, 3 ballnuts, 2 M10 locknuts for the X, 1 M10 locknut for the Y, and 1 M17 locknut for the Z.

Y Ballscrew Bracket

This is the ballscrew bracket that mounts on the front of the base. It is designed to fit a Nema23 stepper motor. The 4 outer holes are to mount the stepper standoffs and the 3 around the bearing pocket are to secure the bracket to the base. The lower hole on the base will need to be drilled and tapped as it does not exist (or left out entirely).

This was originally designed to use the thrust bearings that came with the mill. I went to ACs after making the bracket which is partially why I created spacers that covered the bearings (to take up the extra space). You can go that route or just mill the pocket to the depth of whatever bearing you use. I will try to get the part numbers for the bearings I used but they are basically just ACs from VXB.com with the same inner and outer dimensions as the OEM bearings.

Y Ballnut Mount

This is the mount for the Y ballnut. The height is much larger than you need and it will need to be reduced to clear the table. I think mine ended up being closer to an inch in height total. The holes are tapped for 12-24 cap head screws.

X Ballscrew Bracket

This one is pretty straightforward. Thrust bearings go in the pockets in front and back so just make the pockets deep enough so the bearings are flush with the outside of the brackets. Just like with the Y, I originally made them deep enough to fit the stock thrust bearings but then went with ACs and filled the gaps with covers. The picture at the bottom shows the factory thrust bearing.

Countersink the bolt holes. I used 1/4-20 for the stepper offsets and just bought longer bolts to mount to the table.

Kevin,

Awesome work!

Thanks for sharing your designs and drawing,

Jeff...
    Patience and perseverance have a magical effect before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish.

Thanks, Jeff.

I just realized that I have no photos of the ballnut brackets. I will tear the mill down this weekend to take some as well as double check the measurements. Some of these drawings may change slightly once I do that.

What is the clearance under the table for the X ball screw nut?

Hi Jeff,
    Nice work and nicely timed for me... :-)
    I am thinking of converting my Tom Senior M1 to CNC. I could addapt your parts for it. Thank you.

Just one question so, What material did you use? Ali? Mild steel?

Ta,
    RNR

Quote Originally Posted by arizonavideo View Post
    What is the clearance under the table for the X ball screw nut?
    Very very little. The ballnut needs ground down considerably. I will get a picture of it this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by rnr107 View Post
    Hi Jeff,
    Nice work and nicely timed for me... :-)
    I am thinking of converting my Tom Senior M1 to CNC. I could addapt your parts for it. Thank you.

Just one question so, What material did you use? Ali? Mild steel?

Ta,
    RNR
    I used 6061 for everything.

The Y ballnut bracket drawing has been updated. Guess I can't go back and edit prior posts so i edited the linked image. Once I get everything documented I will add a ZIP or something.

Here is another view of the Y bracket. Notice the low profile 1/4-20 screws.

Here is a shot of the Y ballnut bracket. Notice that the ballnut is just slightly ground. This was to allow it to slide under the saddle easier.

Here is a close shot of just the bracket. It uses three 12-24 X 1" screws .

This shows the arrangement of both X and Y ballnut brackets in the saddle

Here is the pocket that was milled into the saddle. It extends 1.55" to the left of the hole, is 1.35" front to back and .2" deep.

Here is a closer shot of the X axis

As far as clearance of the nut to table, here are a couple shots to show how little there is.

I would grind the nut down, assemble, test the travel, re-grind, etc. I also took a very slight amount off of the length of the table just to smooth it out.

next up will be the X ballnut bracket drawings.

Great job please continue,I am waiting on grizzly to ship my g0704 now!Thanks Dave.

X Ballnut Mount

Holes are threaded 12-24. More pictures follow to help get a feel for what it looks like.

X and Y Stepper Offsets

The diameter of these aren't critical. I just shaved a little off of some .5" round to clean them up. The hex flats are to fit a 10mm wrench but are really unnecessary.

Z Stepper Mount

Z Stepper Offsets

Z Ballscrew Bracket

I may have missed a bolt spec here or there but those are all of the major parts. I will export all of the drawings to DXF in the next few days and post that up as well.

I do not have this particular machine, but I just wanted to drop a note and say this is REALLY generous of you to give everybody all this info for free.

Definitely a classy move-

Dave
    Dave->..

Page 1 of 3 123