Register for free
Login

Thread: Cam Software

Cam Software

What cam software does everybody use?

Things I'd like:
    • $200 range (I am a student)
    • 3D capable. for more complex foam models
    • spits code out that Mach3 can handle (probably not a big deal)

I would like to use Solidworks/ProE, but that isn't a must if i can make the $200 range.

RhinoCam student package seems closest that I've found so far, but I don't know many options.

Any opinions?

Everybody's doing different things, so their choice of CAM software might not be a unanimous one. If you are building solid or surface models and exporting them as STL with foam carving in mind, RhinoCAM is a good choice (assuming you've got Rhino and it meets your needs and budget.) Another program you might look at is DeskProto; the "lite" student version is pretty inexpensive, quite simple to use, and will probably do everything you need, at least while you're getting started with all this. You can try their working demo for a month before it times out, which should give you a pretty good idea of how the process works: DeskProto offers rapid prototyping using an affordable cnc milling machine: DeskProto is 3D cam software for model making. Wait until you've got a CNC mill, or access to one, before downloading it.

Andrew Werby
    ComputerSculpture.com — Home Page for Discount Hardware & Software

I know I've seen many experienced CNCZoners around here recommend MeshCam (http://www.grzsoftware.com/) and it is less than $200. But I do not have any personal experience with that software.
    http://build1.cncdiaries.com
    http://www.cncdiaries.com

My machine is up and running now.

I've been fiddling with Lazycam, but when trying to cut out some of the dinosaur puzzles I have many issues with cut paths and orders, also many issues with the software coming back later after the part is free and trying to cut stray vectors out causing damage to the free'd part.

After already spending so many hours fiddling in corel draw then exporting to lazycam I'd like something that I can go from cad model to cam software with a little more ease.

I suppose I'll start hoping on some of these free trials and testing out more of them.

CamBam CNC Software
    cambam is low cost and he also offers a free version that will be capable of getting you started
    and as was mentioned deskproto has a hobby version which is pretty well priced
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I would also add my recommendation for CamBam. It is a combination CAD/CAM program. The CAD functions are for 2.5D drawing, limited 3D drawing capability. However, you can import DXF and STL 3D drawings and generate 3D CAM code with CamBam. The support is great and the author is very active in the forums. There is a free version which is an older version, you can also use the current version 40 times with no restrictions so you can try the software with no restrictions.

Don

I'm trying to learn Rhino. I bought the madcam 5 axis for less than $200 using a student discount. Supposed to be very good, though I've yet to use it.

from what i understand the madcam is pretty good , at 200 you can't go wrong
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I'd go with Meshcam, their trial is amazing. It's WAAAAY Cheaper than Vectric's software, and, it allows for 4-AXIS MACHINING!!! WOW!!! Developer also gives alot of support which is always a good thing. Vectric's software price is double Meshcam's but only does 3-AXIS.

Quote Originally Posted by CNCmakers View Post
    Master CAM
    He said $200, not $5000.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by CNCmakers View Post
    Master CAM
    Pirecy is a criminal offence.!! :wee:

Quote Originally Posted by hemsworthlad View Post
    Pirecy is a criminal offence.!! :wee:
    So is bad spelling (piracy)
    Mike Pensinger
    Chief Brewer, The River Company Restaurant & Brewery, Inc. Radford, VA

Been toying with Meshcam. Seems to do really well as far as quick start to part times. Though it won't exactly let me program in a v-bit. Some searching around on methods to trick it haven't panned out so well.

More googling around seems to have a lot of people recommending rhinoart or rhinocam or something.

For the price I am leaning towards Meshcam mostly so far. The cutview trial is also really nice, I may have to splurge on it.

Quote Originally Posted by beermkr View Post
    So is bad spelling (piracy)
    But not has Big a crime as being a smart arse (nuts). .Lol

Quote Originally Posted by hemsworthlad View Post
    But not has Big a crime as being a smart arse (nuts). .Lol
    lol.. true..
    I'll get it finished sometime after I start it.....

Maybe equal No offense intended!
    Mike Pensinger
    Chief Brewer, The River Company Restaurant & Brewery, Inc. Radford, VA

Quote Originally Posted by beermkr View Post
    Maybe equal No offense intended!
    Non taken all tongue in cheek.(group)