586,829 active members*
3,295 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > New User To Onecnc

New User To Onecnc

I have been using Gibbs Cam for a few years now but have just lats Monday started a new job and the software they using is Onecnc XR4 pretty sure its the pro one, it has all the solid modelling features.

I am finding it quite difficult changing over, I have only really been drilling tapping reaming holes and the odd single profile cut this week which compared to gibbs seems like a lot of hard work bu I can get used to it. I love the line sketch and trim functions they are very handy.

The guy trainning me on it isnt really that good using it, he tells me that say I want to rough a profile of a part the only ways I can leave metal on for finishing is to either (A) Over Comp the tool in the machine or (B) Create a offset profile allowing for say .3mm for finishing. Is this right ???????

I have tried selecting a profile and machining it to leave .3mm on but it takes the first cut leaving the .3mm on then takes a second with the same tool to remove the .3mm in the same process. I know you get what you pay for but I found Gibbs Cam so simple and user friendly compared to Onecnc but hey oh I have no choice and will have to roll with it now so any help I can get I`ll be most greatful

Another problem Ihave come accross that is causing me untold headaches is the POSTS, When posting to XYZ Siemens controls it posts the Drilling cycles in Fanuc formate (ie G83 G98 X@@ Y@@ Z@@ R@ Q@ F@@) But on the machine they wont run with that, it has to be in this format (MCALL CYCLE83 (3.,0.,3.,-30.,30.,1.,0.,0.,1.,1.,) G0 Z3. MCALL TO END CYCLE) If I post it as machine code it comes out with every single Z movement which is unreadable on the machine and too much code if you should need to edit it, I am manually changing the Cycles at present which is no easy feat on its own considering I have never used that format myself. It wouldnt be so bad if I could practice out side of office hours but what with no training software being offered that aint going to happen. The Company will probably consider Gibbs if things dont start falling in to place.

I`d be most gratefull for any help you can offer thanks

Hi

Regarding the finishing that is not correct . All you have to do is tick the box "Leave for Finish" and tell it how much you want to leave on and if you want to also leave for finish on the bottom .

I think your frustrations are pretty normal when you change software as you get use to using software and it becomes second nature. I change to Mac a couple of years ago and I hated it but now there is no chance I would go back to windows , It is just a matter of doing things a different way. There will be quirks and things you will wish you had from Gibbs and there will be things that Onecnc excels at just give it a bit of time

Regarding your post this is one thing OneCNC does right just ring support and it is all part of the deal there is no extra cost. I would also suggest you join the OneCnc forum if you haven't yet . They are the great bunch of people and
    you will find you get support 24/7

I forgot to mention there is also quite a few videos on the forum and also if you go to there web site there is videos there as well and also go to the Blog and look down the side Bar and there is quite a few videos there as well under
    OneCNC west and UK tech tips

Cheers

Your Probably right Robin, I have been pushed in the deep end and am not getting much in the way of help from the company along will all the other duties I am having to do. I was able to import DXF files drill tap ream holes and some simple profiles using the system on and off for a couple of days but my next few jobs are going to involve some full profiles and some pocketing. On the onecnc can I select islands which I dont want it to cut so it will go round bolts etc while roughing. I will join the onecnc forum and I will ring the support regarding the posts because I dont have the time to edit every post.

Hello ukchopper,
    We have had this software for only a few weeks, i think it is pretty easy to use. Pockets are really easy and if you want to leave islands. Click all the boundaries...done. I would phone them. They WILL help you.
    Keith.

Quote Originally Posted by TURNER View Post
    Hello ukchopper,
    We have had this software for only a few weeks, i think it is pretty easy to use. Pockets are really easy and if you want to leave islands. Click all the boundaries...done. I would phone them. They WILL help you.
    Keith.
    cheers Keith I think I picked up quite a bit in the time I actually got to spend on the system last week, its just difficult when trying to run a new shop and learn the software, i`ll give the guys at onecnc this week

Google the CNCWest videos, free and very helpful. Also use your companies license key and get on the OneCNC user forum great help available to you for free.

Been using OneCNC for last few months now. Extremely easy to learn.
    2005 Haas TM-1, 4th HRT160 - OneCNC XR4 Pro w/4th - Alibre Design Expert
    Metal-tech 4x4 - www.metaltech4x4.com

I've used Gibbs as well, which I learned before OneCNC, I've recently demo'd several other cam systems and I still think OneCNC is the easiest to learn. To go from model to code is the fastest I have used yet.