586,068 active members*
3,615 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question 80/20 vs Misumi Extrusions

I was wondering what others thoughts were on 8020 vs aluminum t-slot extrusions from Misumi? The prices seem to be around 1/2 to 1/3 less than 8020 and they carry a lot of compatible components. And the cut to length for no extra charge seems like a big plus too. Maybe I am missing something here, but lets hear it.

Thanks!

AM

got a picture of or a link to the Misumi stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Drools View Post
    got a picture of or a link to the Misumi stuff?
    Sure, here is the link to their 8 series which is closet to 8020's 15 series. Misumi is metric only though

8 Series Profiles | Mechanical Components for Assembly Automation - Misumi eCatalog

Attached is a diagram of their 4080 which is the equivalent of 8020's 1530.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails misumi_ext.gif  

80/20 is actually 6105-T5 aluminum. (It should be.)
    Misumiusa uses (A6N01SS-T5 Special class HFS) and (JIS-A6061SS−T6 GFS)
    Do not fall for the "gimic" of 8-series, which is just an internal description of the aluminum. Eg, a "trick" to lead you into thinking it is "Series-8xxx (8000)" or "T8" or "80/20" aluminum. The reality is, that it is likely an 80/20 alternative, without actually being 80/20. If it isn't a gimic, then it is a horroble oversight. Names are not oversights, they think long and hard when naming, and I am sure they are aware of 8000 series aluminum, and 80/20.

T5 is slightly stronger, in all variations... however... Not all T5 are the same strengths due to alloy variations. T is a processing method which yields different results from alloy to alloy and process to process.

I can't find the ANSI or UNS ratings for these products, but I assume that they are nearly equal. Musumiusa probably used the GFS series, but customers likely complained that the "other stuff" was better. They probably switched to the HFS to become equivalent, or nearly equivalent to the 80/20 competition market demands.

Aluminium alloy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 6061-T6 is still good also. That is what they use on marine boats for making rails and decks and ribs and everything else. It is rigid, but still bendable, weldable, heat-treatable, and light. The other stuff seems more for rigid structures, and might not have bending or welding ability. Thus, it is likely slightly harder/rigid/brittle.

T5
    Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process and then artificially aged.
    This designation applies to products which are not cold worked after cooling from an elevated temperature shaping process, or in which the effect of cold work in flattening or straightening does not effect mechanical properties.

T6
    Solution heat-treated and then artificially aged.
    This designation applies to products which are not cold worked after solution heat-treatment, or in which the effect of cold work in flattening or straightening does not effect mechanical properties.
    "There are no mistakes in DIY, only oversights that need adjustments."
    "I don't care, I don't follow standards"

I never heard of Misumi, so I bought 1530 and 3030 extrusions from 8020inc on Ebay:
    8020inc

That would have been awesome if I could have saved 30%-50% on extrusion.

For example, "80/20 T Slot Aluminum Extrusion 15 S 1530 x 97 N" are $90.15 +shipping. Bought 3 sticks of it, and a shorter piece of 3030.

Also here is a link to the Extrusion search tool. You can put in your dimensions and it will populate a list of options.

Misumi Aluminum Extrusion Search Tool (BETA)

Quote Originally Posted by JD_Mortal View Post
    80/20 is actually 6105-T5 aluminum. (It should be.)
    Misumiusa uses (A6N01SS-T5 Special class HFS) and (JIS-A6061SS−T6 GFS)
    Do not fall for the "gimic" of 8-series, which is just an internal description of the aluminum. Eg, a "trick" to lead you into thinking it is "Series-8xxx (8000)" or "T8" or "80/20" aluminum. The reality is, that it is likely an 80/20 alternative, without actually being 80/20. If it isn't a gimic, then it is a horroble oversight. Names are not oversights, they think long and hard when naming, and I am sure they are aware of 8000 series aluminum, and 80/20.

T5 is slightly stronger, in all variations... however... Not all T5 are the same strengths due to alloy variations. T is a processing method which yields different results from alloy to alloy and process to process.

I can't find the ANSI or UNS ratings for these products, but I assume that they are nearly equal. Musumiusa probably used the GFS series, but customers likely complained that the "other stuff" was better. They probably switched to the HFS to become equivalent, or nearly equivalent to the 80/20 competition market demands.

Aluminium alloy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The 6061-T6 is still good also. That is what they use on marine boats for making rails and decks and ribs and everything else. It is rigid, but still bendable, weldable, heat-treatable, and light. The other stuff seems more for rigid structures, and might not have bending or welding ability. Thus, it is likely slightly harder/rigid/brittle.

T5
    Cooled from an elevated temperature shaping process and then artificially aged.
    This designation applies to products which are not cold worked after cooling from an elevated temperature shaping process, or in which the effect of cold work in flattening or straightening does not effect mechanical properties.

T6
    Solution heat-treated and then artificially aged.
    This designation applies to products which are not cold worked after solution heat-treatment, or in which the effect of cold work in flattening or straightening does not effect mechanical properties.
    Wow thanks for all the information, very helpful. I will email their engineer team about ANSI or UNS ratings. They usually respond within a couple hours.

I am using there 30mm base profile in my build for the ease of attaching to linearmotion2008s cheap ballscrew/rail kit. Not sure about strength of the alloy/etc, but getting the pieces cut to the millimeter(.05mm tolerance?) is great. Made going from my cad model to a frame a 3 hour process.

Also they run 30% off your first order, but that is given as a credit towards your next order.

Quote Originally Posted by watanabe View Post
    I am using there 30mm base profile in my build for the ease of attaching to linearmotion2008s cheap ballscrew/rail kit. Not sure about strength of the alloy/etc, but getting the pieces cut to the millimeter(.05mm tolerance?) is great. Made going from my cad model to a frame a 3 hour process.

Also they run 30% off your first order, but that is given as a credit towards your next order.
    You have the only build I have seen on here using Misumi. It is looking very good though. I think I am going to break down and order some for my 4x4 build. If worse comes to worse I can always use it for something else.

Aluminum profile is aluminum profile; unless you're in the UK, then it is aluminium profile. I've used 80/20, MK Aluminum Frames : Aluminum Structural Framing : Extruded Aluminum Framing : T Slot Aluminium : Belt Conveyor Systems : Plastic Chain Conveyors : mk North America, Inc. , and some other outfit whose name escapes me. I'd definitely prefer the less expensive option absent some particular reason to do otherwise. So thanks for posting the link to the Misumi stuff.

If your vendor won't cut to length, find another vendor.

Misumi has a cool tool called "Aluminum Extrusion Search Tool" that lets you search profiles, base size, slot width, etc... As you refine your search of the series, it will also list all the accessories available for extrusion selection. Plus, you can download the CAD file for your selection.

Misumi Aluminum Extrusion Search Tool (BETA)

Add Bosch Rexroth to that list. They're not worth it for budget DIY, but their tight tolerances and excellent fastening options can be worth it if you're budget can accommodate it.