586,651 active members*
2,694 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > OneCNC > Onecnc concerns

Unhappy Onecnc concerns

Hi all,

I have bin looking in to a affordable CAM package for some time to replace our BOB CAM and OneCNC looked like the perfect fit. I have bin a Programmer for quite some time and have used most of the top tier CAM products out there and I am impressed with what Onecnc has to offer. However I have read some unsettling posts on this foum as well as others for the first time.

My main concerns are with a resent post on another forum that stated that Onecnc was not properly extracting edges from Solidworks files or STEP files. The other concern is with the topic of UKChoppers thread having to do with Onecnc not having a good working post for Siemens controls. I need to have a good Siemens post for our new 4th axis Fryer MB 14R. I will be contacting Onecnc with my concerns on Monday to see what they have to say however if any users could shed some light and give some advise It would be most appreciated. I do not want another BOB CAM experience.

Thanks
    Spike13

Quote Originally Posted by Spike13 View Post
    Hi all,

I have bin looking in to a affordable CAM package for some time to replace our BOB CAM and OneCNC looked like the perfect fit. I have bin a Programmer for quite some time and have used most of the top tier CAM products out there and I am impressed with what Onecnc has to offer. However I have read some unsettling posts on this foum as well as others for the first time.

My main concerns are with a resent post on another forum that stated that Onecnc was not properly extracting edges from Solidworks files or STEP files. The other concern is with the topic of UKChoppers thread having to do with Onecnc not having a good working post for Siemens controls. I need to have a good Siemens post for our new 4th axis Fryer MB 14R. I will be contacting Onecnc with my concerns on Monday to see what they have to say however if any users could shed some light and give some advise It would be most appreciated. I do not want another BOB CAM experience.

Thanks
    Spike13
    Something doesn't quite add up there.

OneCNC is a Solidworks partner so that doesn't seem right

UKChoppers starts a new job at a company they have a Siemens control and are using OneCNC.

But this company already had OneCNC and the machine so surely it already had a working post.

OneCNC gives one days onsite training so i would imagine that would include leaving with a working post. I find the post editor incredibly easy to use. But they will customise the post FOC anyway

UKChoppers also started another thread about how difficult it was to leave a finish amount and that he was making another op using offset to make the finish pass.

The reality is OneCNC is very easy to use.

Maybe GibbsCam is losing market share to OneCNC so are posting negative comments on their competitors using forums like this. (chair)

Phil

Spike

I commented on that post and it is completely wrong.

His first comment was it was not accurate which is total Bull@%^
    What else he said is wrong also. I use models from solid works all the time and I do not have the issue he is having . I just imported a fairly complex file and had no issues with extracting and modifying the model.
    I also use solid works and I personally most times prefer to use Onecnc for drawing as I find it much simpler and easy to do jobs fast. I do however use solidworks if I am doing complex assembly's but Onecnc is not really built for this . I have heard some issues with Solidworks files but Onecnc is not on its own on this one . I do have issues when there is a problem with the model I import and that is quite often this is the issue.

Regarding the post Onecnc will set this up for you and make sure it works I think Chopper came in to a system that was not set up properly

Spike the best advice I am think I can give is get them to demo it for you and look at other systems as well . I have no issues with onecnc . Is it perfect no but no software is that why they all keep updating it

Good luck

I figured these issues were more than likely ether operator error or SW 2011 import issues. I have seen other softwares having problems with SW 2011 files and it's good to hear that there tech support will be able to help with the posts. I agree that something isn't right with UKChoppers senario. OneCNC Is still my number one pick and not just for the price. I will still ask the sales rep to speak to a tech support member to ask them about these possible problems and gauge there response. I appreciate the input and would like to get some more. After having to use BOB CAM I am a little gun shy and I do not want to waste any more money and or precious time. Not that I think that one CNC is anything like BOB but it would be unwise of me not to investigate.

Thanks
    Spike

What is a ballpark price for Onecnc with 4th axis?

Thanks
    Walt

Walt,

I was quoted around $5,000 for there Pro package plus 4th with a small discount. If you are really interested I would advise contacting them for a quote. They are great to work with. Not pushy like some CAD CAM dealers.

For what there software has to offer it is a great deal as long as it functions as advertised it is more than worth it. I am really looking to find a software our company can commit to for the long haul.

Thought I would post a update. I talked with OneCNC this morning and they cleared everything up for me and we discussed the issues in detail. They didn't try to sell a storie to me they we up front with the issues.

First the post for Siemens. This complaint is in error they have several Siemens posts readily available for use or customization. You need only to ask Tech Support and they will customize it for you.

As for the tolerance and edge extraction problems. It turns out that some customers with a specific control on older machines with low memory are opting to use true arcs for there code and at the same time having there model tolerance set to 5 , 6 or more decimals out. This causes OneCNC to post out a .0001 linear move between the arc movements and for a particular customer the minor frett or scallop is a major issue to the parts he is trying to manufacture. While this is a OneCNC problem I agree with the tech support person I talked to that this is the exception and not the rule and they are working to rectify the problem in any case.

I feel for the poor bastard that is banging his head against that problem I really do, but for my shops parts it wont be a problem. Tech support assured me it will be resolved anyway as they strive for 100% customer satisfaction. When the OneCNC Tech Guy said this it sounded sincere compared to that of BOB. Overall my discussion with them went vary well and we will be purchasing OneCNC for our programming needs.

:cheers:
    Spike13

I do not work for Gibbs Cam, I have used it for quite a few years now through and the posts it produces are spot on and very rarely even require any attention, I`d happily post a new program on Gibbs start the machine and go and grab myself a cup of tea knowing that all will be well when I return. From what I am seeing produced from Onecnc it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I will keep chipping away at it because thats all I have to use but its not even in the same ball park as Gibbs and I`d recommend anyone looking for a new cad system to look else where. I have spent the last 15 years working in aerospace MOD and prototypes so am no novice to engieering and Cad packages. Gibbs has its faults but they are easy to live with.

Quote Originally Posted by ukchopper View Post
    I do not work for Gibbs Cam, I have used it for quite a few years now through and the posts it produces are spot on and very rarely even require any attention, I`d happily post a new program on Gibbs start the machine and go and grab myself a cup of tea knowing that all will be well when I return. From what I am seeing produced from Onecnc it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I will keep chipping away at it because thats all I have to use but its not even in the same ball park as Gibbs and I`d recommend anyone looking for a new cad system to look else where. I have spent the last 15 years working in aerospace MOD and prototypes so am no novice to engieering and Cad packages. Gibbs has its faults but they are easy to live with.
    Hello Mr GibbsCam troll

Head on over to the GibbsCam forum there are six people wanting posts on the first page surely they should not sell their crap unless they had working posts "To coin a phrase"

And for someone who is experienced as you say you are you did not spot that finish allowance box in OneCNC

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by M250cnc View Post
    Hello Mr GibbsCam troll

Head on over to the GibbsCam forum there are six people wanting posts on the first page surely they should not sell their crap unless they had working posts "To coin a phrase"

And for someone who is experienced as you say you are you did not spot that finish allowance box in OneCNC

Phil
    You are like a big baby who throws his toys out of his pram when someone says something you don`t want to hear. I personally don`t feel insulted when you have a swipe at Gibbs Cam, its just a piece of software which has its faults like everything else out there, it seems to hit a raw nerve with even the slightest negitive comment about Onecnc its as if your livelihood dpends on it ( but you don`t sound like you have the brains to work for such a big company with the crap you spout ), you are perfectic Phil and need to crawl out from under that little rock you live and get your self a life. I am so crap I run a cnc machine shop which sells its products all over the world.

Guys Let's be civil to each other..
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by Spike13 View Post
    Thought I would post a update. I talked with OneCNC this morning and they cleared everything up for me and we discussed the issues in detail. They didn't try to sell a storie to me they we up front with the issues.

First the post for Siemens. This complaint is in error they have several Siemens posts readily available for use or customization. You need only to ask Tech Support and they will customize it for you.

As for the tolerance and edge extraction problems. It turns out that some customers with a specific control on older machines with low memory are opting to use true arcs for there code and at the same time having there model tolerance set to 5 , 6 or more decimals out. This causes OneCNC to post out a .0001 linear move between the arc movements and for a particular customer the minor frett or scallop is a major issue to the parts he is trying to manufacture. While this is a OneCNC problem I agree with the tech support person I talked to that this is the exception and not the rule and they are working to rectify the problem in any case.

I feel for the poor bastard that is banging his head against that problem I really do, but for my shops parts it wont be a problem. Tech support assured me it will be resolved anyway as they strive for 100% customer satisfaction. When the OneCNC Tech Guy said this it sounded sincere compared to that of BOB. Overall my discussion with them went vary well and we will be purchasing OneCNC for our programming needs.

:cheers:
    Spike13
    Mr Gibbscam Now you say you had some problems with OneCNC and in particular a Siemens post, Spike13 gets his answer from OneCNC which should allay the fears of any potential user but your reply is another sales pitch.

I do not work for Gibbs Cam, I have used it for quite a few years now through and the posts it produces are spot on and very rarely even require any attention, I`d happily post a new program on Gibbs start the machine and go and grab myself a cup of tea knowing that all will be well when I return. From what I am seeing produced from Onecnc it certainly leaves a lot to be desired. I will keep chipping away at it because thats all I have to use but its not even in the same ball park as Gibbs and I`d recommend anyone looking for a new cad system to look else where. I have spent the last 15 years working in aerospace MOD and prototypes so am no novice to engieering (Sic) and Cad packages. Gibbs has its faults but they are easy to live with.
    I reply that there are six Gibbscam users that are needing posts on the first page of the Gibbscam forum after you said the same about OneCNC from another post you quoted
    As for the posts they should have that down to a T before even selling software, to put it bluntly they are crap

Thread Newbie need help getting onecnc - CNCzone.com-The Largest Machinist Community on the net!

Now your reply to me.

You are like a big baby who throws his toys out of his pram when someone says something you don`t want to hear. I personally don`t feel insulted when you have a swipe at Gibbs Cam, its just a piece of software which has its faults like everything else out there, it seems to hit a raw nerve with even the slightest negitive (Sic) comment about Onecnc its as if your livelihood dpends (Sic) on it ( but you don`t sound like you have the brains to work for such a big company with the crap you spout ), you are perfectic (Sic) Phil and need to crawl out from under that little rock you live and get your self a life. I am so crap I run a cnc machine shop which sells its products all over the world.
    Mr Gibbscam it seems you are the one spitting dummy's i am just replying to your misinformation and your sales pitch.

I do not live under a rock and i do have a life but i am just pointing out what you have said about yourself.

That at first you said you had just started a new job a week ago and you were being trained by someone who was not very good with OneCNC now you are saying you run the machine shop. I just mentioned that someone as experienced as you say you are should not have that many problems changing from one cad/cam package to another. All I've said about myself is that i use OneCNC and find it easy to use something that you seem unable to do after your
    last 15 years working in aerospace MOD and prototypes so am no novice to engieering (Sic) and Cad packages
    I'm only answering your drivel.

Phil

The issue with the edge extraction has nothing to do with the nc control, the issue is OneCnc, the same models imported into Gibbs or Mastercam can output the correct code for the profile, the issue is limited to OneCnc. I would love them to change it as it is the easiest to use software I have come across and their tech support is very good.