586,974 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Uncategorised CAD Discussion > Anyone using TurboCAD Pro/Platinum?

Anyone using TurboCAD Pro/Platinum?

Greetings,

I've been using TurboCAD Deluxe for 2D work, and am fairly happy with it. I've been wanting to learn more 3D design, and just received a good upgrade offer for the Pro, or Platinum version of TurboCAD 18. Unfortunately, of all the searching I can do, I can't seem to find any reviews, or information about the Pro or Platinum package, even in older versions.

For about the same money, I'd have to consider Alibre as well, and it would be great to find a comparison between the two, or at least someone who's used both.

Does anyone have an opinion of TurboCAD Pro? The latest version 18 sounds pretty good on paper (LCD), but it would sure be nice to find someone who's used at least a fairly recent version.

Thanks,
    Rusty (3D challenged)

I'm using 17 platinum now. Only had it about a month. I started with version 8 pro. I generally upgrade every third version. I had a need for the sheet metal fold and unfold tools, so I upgraded to 17 plat from 14 pro.
    These platinum versions also come with all mechanical tools as well as architectural. They are quite nice. I saw the 18 being offered and it does really bump up the seep, but most of my drawings are rather mild, so don't take that long to render. I will likely wait again about 3 versions before an upgrade if I even do. This one pretty much does everything I need it to do.

I also have a full version of 15 Platinum with several training video CD's and a training manual along with the software guide that is for sale on Ebay. It has never been installed. I did open the box to make sure what the seller claimed was inside, but that is it.
    Anyone interested in it here and I will give a better price than what I have it listed for.
    Just PM me.
    Training CD's like these is what allowed me to learn Turbocad to start with. Still no pro at it, but getting there.
    Lee

Rusty, can you share anything about the upgrade offer or how I might be able to get it on it? I'm a few versions behind...

Quote Originally Posted by NogginBoink View Post
    Rusty, can you share anything about the upgrade offer or how I might be able to get it on it? I'm a few versions behind...
    There seems to be an extra $100 off for upgrades from Deluxe to Pro or Platinum until the end of the month. It's listed on the upgrade page:
    Deluxe to Pro

Rusty

Quote Originally Posted by LeeWay View Post
    I'm using 17 platinum now. Only had it about a month. I started with version 8 pro. I generally upgrade every third version. I had a need for the sheet metal fold and unfold tools, so I upgraded to 17 plat from 14 pro.
    These platinum versions also come with all mechanical tools as well as architectural. They are quite nice. I saw the 18 being offered and it does really bump up the seep, but most of my drawings are rather mild, so don't take that long to render. I will likely wait again about 3 versions before an upgrade if I even do. This one pretty much does everything I need it to do.
    Thanks for the comments Lee. It would be hard not to go all the way to Platinum if I do this. I just thought it was funny that no one seems to talk about the Pro or Platinum versions. Since I've got the 2D and limited 3D stuff pretty well figured out in TC, I figure (hope) it would make an easier transition to 3D if I stay with TC.

Cheers,
    Rusty

Actually there are many tools that work very similarly to the 2D tools in 3D. Once I had the 2D down, it was relatively easy to go 3D. Learning the shortcuts for the snap functions really made it start going effortlessly. Much less hunting the snaps and other tools.
    I bought the 15 platinum version from another seller on Ebay.
    It wasn't an hour later that I received a great upgrade offer for any legacy version to platinum. It was very reasonable. Figured I would just resell the 15 at a loss of $50. There are likely over 200 video tutorials in just that part of the package. I already had those though.
    Platinum is a very good package. This is the first platinum version I have used and there are quite a few new tools and the other functions I mentioned.
    It also goes another step forward in rendering. It's not solid works, but I will stick with it.
    They seem to do real well listening and updating the software.
    If you do a lot of threading and such, then the 18 should be worth it just for the speed increase.
    I generally just model using studs so far. Nothing critical enough to add the threads yet. I have played with it though and it does threads well.
    If someone is considering upgrading from an older version, you might consider the 15 and upgrade from there. Looks like it might save a few dollars.
    Lee

Thanks again Lee.

So anyone else using TurboCAD Pro or Platinum? I hate to think it will just be me and Lee

Cheers,
    Rusty

Rusty,

I'm using 17 Pro. Started with ver. 8. I cannot comment of the platinum versions. I brought one deluxe ver. but being accustom to the pro I did't use it very long before upgradeing to the pro.

I reccomend a visit to an site that is an expert in TurboCad, Donald Cheke. Textual Creations Home Page He has some good tips and very nice tutorials.

I will never buy another Deluxe ver. again. For hobby use I'm very happy with 17 Pro drawing wood working plans and remote control plane plans.

Harold

Thanks for the comments Harold. I took a quick look at the site you linked, but I'll spend more time there later.

Rusty

I dislike directing anyone away from the Zone, but here is a link to the Tcad forum. I have found it useful for particular questions about certain tools.
    TurboCAD Forums - Index

Personally I think Tcad is a cheap way to go into a full CAD package. I already had some graphics software under my belt, so going with TC was pretty painless.
    Tried a few others and TC was the most like I thought a CAD package should be.
    It ain't cheap, but if you get in at a lower price point, it ain't bad for what it can do.
    I use it in every single part I produce.
    Lee

Turbo 18 Platinum

Hi, I bought TurboCad 18 Platinum, but need to install it first.
    Also bought some Don Cheke tutorials to try out.
    I'm interested in the 3D features and am a newbie.

Then I want to model my current CNC MDF router project that I'm building from scratch using hardware store items mostly.

KOC61 WROTE:

"Hi, I bought TurboCad 18 Platinum, but need to install it first.
    Also bought some Don Cheke tutorials to try out.
    I'm interested in the 3D features and am a newbie.

Then I want to model my current CNC MDF router project that I'm building from scratch using hardware store items mostly."

You will be please with Don Cheke Tutorials, he goes from program setup, drawing, rending, to printing. I have several.

Another site is cadcoure.com, they have a trainig bundle showing the use of the tools and if you want could have online traing session for a price.

Harold

Thanks again for the comments. I ordered and installed the Platinum version, so now I just have to find time to learn how to use it.

Cheers,
    Rusty