586,121 active members*
3,643 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Adobe Illustrator to Lasercut 5.3 issue

Hi. I have a EXLAS 1280 and have been using it for more than a year with great results. However, I am experiencing a problem with the software.

I always create my artwork in Adobe Illustrator CS3 or Sketchup8 and then import it into the machine either as a DXF or AI (saved as Ver.8).

When I draw the artwork in AI and import it into the machine I don't have any problem and the machine cut the vectors once only. But when I do a live trace of some shape in AI and then import it into the machine, I always get double lines; or double the vector, which results into the machine cutting the same elements twice. It ONLY happens when I do a live trace of an image.

Anyone has some advice for me please. Thanks in advance.

I don't have Illustrator but it might be the same situation as Corel Draw. When you trace an object, even if it is a wireframed, thin lined item, the trace is going to give you an inner and outer line. You'd have to ungroup the object and delete one of the lines.

Also, sometimes when I try to import an AI file into Corel it will stack several lines one on top of the other. If you don't delete the copies, LaserCut will make as many passes as you have layers of lines. Corel has what is called an Object Manager that allows you to see if you have multiple lines, or layers, and if so you can delete them leaving only one. Illustrator must have something similar I would think.

That's the best I can do... hope it helps.

If you're using a 2 color image, like black and white. It creates a layer for white, use the magic wand tool and select white, then delete it. Try that image in LC you should only have one line then. I have the same problem when I run images through Vector Magic.

Thanks for the helpful replies.

I think I found something that could help:

For open paths you can:

1) Cut at the corners, remove the former end segments,

2) Object>Blend>Make, Object>Blend>Expand, delete the paths on either side of the centre path, which (more or less) coincides with your original path.

"For closed paths you can:

1) Delete the inner path inside the compound path that corresponds to the former stroke.

2) Object>Compound Path>Release,

3) Object>Blend>Make, Object>Blend>Expand, delete the paths on either side (outer and inner) of the centre path, which (more or less) coincides with your original path."

If anyone has an easier suggestion, you'll be more than welcome. Thanks.

@ bpoulin

I tried to export a test file to .DXF and actually found out that I had two lines overlapping approximately.

I usually have stroke in black (1pt) and fill in black as well; makes it easier to visualise the outcome.

I tried the same test file, but this time reduced stroke to .25pt and set fill to none; which is the equivalent of doing Pathfinder > Outline.
    Result: This time the .DXF exported consists of only one layer of paths.

Once again, thanks for your help. I learned something again. :cheers:

@ skipw

I never really got in Corel Draw. I have been Photoshop user for the past 16 years, back in the Win98-Pentium200MHz-overnight-wait-for-your-render-to-finish, and it seemed natural for me to go with Illustrator.

I know AI got limits as to geometrical-precision drawing (I use Sketchup for all my geometrical type projects). Do you find that Corel has many advantages over AI in terms of creating artwork specific to laser cutting?

I can't "get" corel draw either, I've am a photoshop/AI person as well. But I've been using photoshop since version 2.0 on a Mac so I understand wanting to use PS or AI. Corel seems to be more complex and laid out different, but it does the same thing as AI, so I just stick with what I know. I don't know if it will make any difference but I usually keep my outlines invisible and just use fill, but I think once it imports into LC 5.3 all the fill or line thickness info is lost.

Ha.. I don't "get" AI. I just use Corel Draw because I started using it to make drawings for my router in 2002 and I've got a pretty good handle on it now. And since many laser manufacturers use software that supports Corel Draw in one way or another, after I got mine I didn't have to go through the learning curve to use it. It's a great drawing program and I'm sure AI is also. We use what we like and what we are used to I guess.

The only advantage I can see with Corel vs. AI on a laser is the ability to send jobs to the laser right from Corel. But myself, I still save Corel files as AI and import them into LaserCut, so for me there probably isn't an advantage other than I don't have to learn another drawing program.

Ya I think both programs have their up's and down's but they're pretty much the same. I think LC is supposed to have a direct print feature from a VERY old version of AI, I think 7. I don't argue with anyone over which is better, the one you know is the one that's better. If you don't know either, then Corel is cheaper than AI, so it's a better place to start as far as $$'s go. The only complaint I have with Adobe is they got rid of Streamline and integrated it with illustrator. Streamline was an excelent vector trace program, very easy to manipulate simple vectors in it. But it will not even install on a windows 7 machine...