586,104 active members*
3,316 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Haas Machines > Haas Mills > Looking for VF3 Super spindle diagram

Looking for VF3 Super spindle diagram

Our VF3 Super has just started making noises in the spindle. It is a 12,000 rpm spindle and we are looking for a diagram of what's inside the head. Using a mechanics stethoscope, the noise actually sounds like it's in the top, nearer to the drive motor. No belts on this model by the way, direct drive.
    Sooooo, if someone has the parts breakdown, we sure would appreciate it!
    Thanks! Rick

Haas is now down! Looking for info/help

Ok, this progressed rapidly. While trying to locate the actual area the noise is coming out (which is more near the motor, than near the spindle cartridge) the machine got too loud to safely operate anymore. Before we call in the troups (service company) we sure would like to have a breakdown of what's inside the head assembly. I personally think it's either the motor or the toolholder release mechanism.... Anybody have any experience with this problem themselves??????? Thanks for any help or thoughts..... Rick

your coupling may be shot.
    its a rubber coupling (red) . My tech said they do wear out from time to time, however they usually last a long time for the most part.
    I believe he said 2008 ones or something like that there wasa bad lot of them and they tend to wear faster.

Do I know if this is true, not a clue, just what the tech told me when he was replacing my spindle 2 years ago and I laughed/questioned about the coupler.

If you have thru spindle coolant sometimes the rotary union on top goes bad and makes it sound like a bad spindle. it only takes about 20 minutes to drop the spindle and check it, the coupling, and motor.

What did you find out?

RickOmatic..what did you find out on your spindle noise? Was it the rotary union coupler?

problem repaired

We had the Haas tech come out and the problem was the motor (bearings). Of course the whole motor (and coupling) come as a unit, so we got a replacement from Haas in Cal. Wasn't cheap, but it runs great again....
    I also have to mention that the tech was a young guy named Nick Reffey, who was very knowlegable, fast and thorough...Good tech for sure.
    Take care. Rick

We had a very similar noise from the spindle on our vf4ss. We also noticed the Thru-spindle coolant was showing less volume and saw a leak from the drainhole in the panel just behind the spindle.

When we checked ours out. the rotary union was shot and needed to be replaced. Fast job took about $850 for the rotary union and about 1.5-2 hours labor to fix.

Now spindle is quiet and everything works great.