586,112 active members*
3,065 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Home made EDM

I just found this forum and have done several searches but I still have some questions. I am a metal working hobbiest and have taken an interest in building an EDM suitable for hobby work. In some articles I'v read a source of high frequency voltage is required, but at what voltage? In other articles there is no mention of an HF voltage. I have a tig welder and was wondering if it could be adapted to make a simple EDM . In other words I don't know enough about the subject to ask an intelligent question. Perhaps someone could direct me to more basic info so I don't bore you with dumb questions !!!!

You came to the right place!

Look around in here and you will find a guy who basically has started an online book about EDM right here in The Zone. I can't recall his screen name, sorry, but I am sure with a bit of research you will find your answers - so many folks on here with a wealth of experience.

Welcome!

Scott
    Consistency is a good thing....unless you're consistently an idiot.

Lindsay books is also selling a book on DIY EDM.

http://www.lindsaybks.com/

I curious if the guy Scott is referring to on the Zone is doing it in a similar method that is described in brief at the Lindsay book website. Apparently that one is low voltage and uses kerosene as the fluid.

Chris

Home Shop Machinist has had 2 different build articles on EDM in the past 2 or 3 years. I believe Don Maunch (sp?) of Camtronics also sells plan for an EDM.

Machining the carbon electrodes would be the difficult task.

I wonder if the Lindsay book goes into detail on that aspect.

Jerry

It appears (based on the picture on the LB website) that the Lindsay books approach uses, or can use, your existing cnc mill, mounting the electrode to/into the spindle. If this is correct, I like this approach, since one can utilize their existing X/Y/Z axis on the mill instead of building a X/Y table for the EDM. A lot less to construct.

Chris

Thanks for the info !!! Guess the Lindsay book is what I need. I'll post the results of my project when it's done. May take a while, I'm in the process of renovating my house right now. Thanks again.

Not to take away from the zone, but you might want to take a look at this new EDM yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EDMHomeBuilders

HTj

Both links above didn't work (for me).

May be this one will work: EDM Yahoo Group

I noticed the author is Ben Fleming. This is the author of the book sold in the Lindsay Books website.

Edit: For some reason the link is dropping the "s." after group. If you click on the link above and then manually add a "s." between group and yahoo, it will then work.

Chris

like Viper says, get the hsm article which also came out in a book. I've seen Robert Langlois run his machine, a sinker and seems to work well. the nice part is its a start to finish construction broken into simple steps. There's a good threa here what goes into a wire edm.

http://www.homeshopmachinist.net/sto...1&maxrows=10of

also check out
    http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10374

we need to get Roy engaged in conversation again! he knows his stuff and is generous in sharing that knowledge.

here's the Camtronics stuff

http://s120220635.onlinehome.us/edm-plans.asp

Imo if you are selling your design instead of sharing it, it better be good but the seeing the draw slides makes me think this one’s a little shaky – anyone edm experts build or used this design? Before pursuing it would be nice to see it endorsed

I am also thinking about a homemade EDM, ...would solder work for an electrode?
    I have a brass knob I want to duplicate, and it would make sense to pour solder or lead onto it to copy it.

using solder for the electrode or the surface to probe off of to make the electrode? As far as using it as the electrode i would say that it would not last very long due to the melting point and you need the electrode to be smaller than the part that you are wanting to burn for overburn allowance.

I'd suggest those interested in an EDM look for a 20 year old used machine. they go for a song. Ebay is a place to look a bit. There's real deals on those unused machines sitting in the back of many machine shops.

I picked up a nice running one for $500. I'd resell it for that if somebody would promise to buy it just as soon as i pick up another.

Karl

I made an EDM for despiking a cannon. It pumped kerosene down a copper tube electrode, here it is doing a dip

http://www.robinhewitt.net/despiking.wmv

Has anybody heard of Sparkdrill?

There used to be a company that made EDM's for just such a purpose, and then began selling plans. You can access their (non-functional, but still up) website by doing a google search for them. You have to backdoor it to view the contents, ie, not directly through www.sparkdrill.com because it says the sight is down for repairs or whatever, pick one of the pages that come up that is available. Anyway, I was hoping to find someone who had purchase a set of these plans, as the manual was something like 100 pgs. and had everything including building a power supply and whatnot. Also Chevalier sells a ram type EDM that plugs into your existing machine, called the ALIC-1. Of course it's something like $6000.

Robin, very neat, thanks for posting that. I'd love to learn more about the edm you made, can you tell us more, post more pics or post a circuit diagram? Making a sinker is on the to do list so looking for ideas

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    I'd love to learn more about the edm you made, can you tell us more, post more pics or post a circuit diagram? Making a sinker is on the to do list so looking for ideas
    I have the circuit and the pcb but it's in Protel Easytrax format, kinda antiquated. It's a DOS thing.

It comes down to 2 FET's, one charges the capacitor bank, the other dumps it across the spark gap. It then looks to see the volts on the capacitors, too high means no spark so it moves down, too low means it's shorted out so it moves up, some residual charge means it fired okay so it stays put.

It's all 555 timers, no microprocessor, I fed all the control lines in to a PAL so I could sort them out later. It has 5 buttons to turn things on and off, knobs to control motor speed, dip delay/duration, charge/discharge time and the two voltage thresholds. Three switches cut in extra capacitors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails edm.jpg  

thanks for the explanation, more or less follow what you are doing.