586,096 active members*
3,921 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 34 of 40 243233343536
    Dupont won't let you buy Corian unless you're a certified fabricator. MOst others are the same way.
    However, you can buy it from here, but you'll pay quite a bit more, plus shipping. And solid surface is heavy.

Solid Surface & Corian Countertop Material Supplier | Kitchen & Bathroom Counters

You can get generic adhesives from here, for a little less money.
    Integra Adhesives | Solid Surface, Quartz and Stone Adhesives
    Be aware that you'll ususally need a special adhesive gun, as the adhesive is in dual tubes that use mixing tips.

If you can find a local countertop shop that will sell it to you, that would probably be the easiest way to go about it.

Depending on color, don't be surprised to find the price to be $15-$25 per sq. ft.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Another place to get Corian is your local Craigslist. I see some selling it for $10 sq./ft., and another selling a whole kitchen table top for $60. The greatest value on my local one is 69" x 36" for $120.

The downside is that you may not find the greatest selection or they may not have the volume you need, but this might help someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post

You can get generic adhesives from here, for a little less money.
    Integra Adhesives | Solid Surface, Quartz and Stone Adhesives
    Be aware that you'll ususally need a special adhesive gun, as the adhesive is in dual tubes that use mixing tips.
    I wonder if it's the same gun I have for mixing epoxy that is used to glue bolts into concrete foundations?

In fact, I wonder if I could use that glue? That stuff is bullet proof... and expensive, but I probably have a few tubes laying around (somewhere)

Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post

To find some solid surface material look for a local fabricator and you can probably by some cutoffs from them, maybe the adhesive as well. If there is a two-part adhesive there is an applicator that mixes the two-part in the correct proportions.

I've worked with corian before.. mostly just installing single piece countertops, and boring holes for fixtures...

That's a good idea about local fabricators.. I was thinking about doing the same with some local cabinet shops, to buy their scraps for making small stuff.. Signs, curio boxes, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaincraft View Post
    I wonder if it's the same gun I have for mixing epoxy that is used to glue bolts into concrete foundations?

In fact, I wonder if I could use that glue? That stuff is bullet proof... and expensive, but I probably have a few tubes laying around (somewhere)
    I doubt they are the same. The adhesives for solid surface cause a chemical reaction between the two pieces of solid surface. Solid surface materials are very unique formulations of materials and the adhesives used to join them are formulated specifically for that chemical composition.

Remember, adhesives join materials because of a chemical reaction, not because the adhesives appearance of "stickiness".

I doubt they are the same. The adhesives for solid surface cause a chemical reaction between the two pieces of solid surface. Solid surface materials are very unique formulations of materials and the adhesives used to join them are formulated specifically for that chemical composition.

Remember, adhesives join materials because of a chemical reaction, not because the adhesives appearance of "stickiness".
    The adhesives for a particular brand of solid surface material are specific to said material and even color. In the old days, both parts came in a bag (like a hot or cold compress) and you would "break" the seal between the twoo compartments, attach the bag to a vibrating sander to "mix" the components, then cut a small hole in the corner to dispense. Not sure if they still do it this way. Both sides need to be cleaned with denatured alcohol, and you need a lot of clamps. The mix does produce a bit of heat and you have to work pretty quickly.

A couple years ago I had to install some Avonite and they used a 2-part epoxy-style cartridge that had to be dispensed with a $500 gun! I'm sure a lot others gone this route to make things proprietary.

For most stuff you need to go to classes and be a certified fabricator to buy the raw products: Corian, Fountainhead, Avonite, etc... I believe anyone can buy Surrell. Like zool said, it's easier to obtain from a fabricator...

We have 3 different guns for different manufacturers adhesives.
    The adhesives for solid surface cause a chemical reaction between the two pieces of solid surface
    I can't back it up, but I don't think that's the case. The adhesives themselves cure due to a chemical reaction, but I don't think they react with the solid surface. If you spill some adhesive on a piece of solid surface, after 10-20 minutes, you can still get it off with lacquer thinner, with no signs of it ever being there. If it was reacting with the solid surface, there would be some softening, or at least discoloration. I've never seen either. And I use a lot of solid surface. I ordered about $20K worth this week, and we use well over $100K worth a year.

It's really not a lot different than an epoxy, it's just formulated to bond with the solid surface.
    Be aware that if you're bonding two same color pieces, that the color of the adhesive is very important. The wrong color adhesive will be noticeable.

Also, the adhesive I linked to above works with most brands of solid surface just fine. Most are acrylic based, with the exception of some avonite, which is polyester.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Here's a few more pictures cutting some cabinet panels out of cabinet grade plywood..

Also of my S-PID enclosure.. still need to cut an aluminum heat sink, and an acrylic cover for it, but I'm waiting until I can get around to buying a switch to go between manual/PC control so I know where to put the holes and what not..

So I just ordered a couple relays and sockets (plus a spare relay)..

One will allow Mach 3 to control the vacuum, and the other will allow me to use the second computer case that I'm using for it's power supply (for S-PID and 12v for CNC controller case cooling fans) as the main system power.. I can just turn on the PC case power switch and it will apply power to the whole table..

The CNC controller case has two powerful cooling fans that cool a big heat sink for the drivers... they're very loud... now I'll be able to use Mach 3 to only turn them on when a program is running... ie, when the router and vacuum are running...

Gotta start planning a 'sound box' for the vacuum and dust deputy now....

looks like you have a very useful machine there,took mea few days to read thru the whole thing,remember thinking when you said you were not the only that makes cnc router sounds before it could make any sounds of its own, i was thinking .." he is not the only one for sure,i am at work rolling some home made bearings back and forth ,....rinnnnn.rin,rinnnnnnnnnn,rinnnnn, and i even go so far as making crashing sounds and stalling stepper motors ,also.

so you have come along way ,indeed!! one of the days hopefully my machine will be the one making the sounds

looking good keep 'er goin!!
    "witty comment"

More Pix Please

Great build and fabrication. I am in the research and planning stages and appreciate these build logs immensely. But there seems to be a predictable pattern in these builds and that is as the machine gets closer to fruition, the pics and videos drip off significantly presumably due to the fact the builder gets more into what the machine is going to do than how it is being built to do it.
    So please consider this a plaintive request for follow-up pics and even the video you promised a while back. :wave:
    I know I would like to see your handiwork and fabrication solutions from just looking at what you have posted.
    Thanks again Mark and I hope you find the time to post pix and vids.

Lynn

Here is a great article on adhesives.

Hot Melt Safety Advice, hot melt sticks, hot melt glue, industrial glue, industrial adhesive

This site is interesting too: Solid Surface Countertops | Fabrication Techniques | Bonding Adhesive

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    We have 3 different guns for different manufacturers adhesives.

Each of which no doubt cost an arm and a leg!!!

The adhesives themselves cure due to a chemical reaction, but I don't think they react with the solid surface.

The adhesive have to react [or interact] with the materials they are bonding, or else the materials would not bond. Though solid surface materials appears solid, there are still microscopic holes [if you will] that the adhesive enters and hence join the materials.

If you spill some adhesive on a piece of solid surface, after 10-20 minutes, you can still get it off with lacquer thinner, with no signs of it ever being there. If it was reacting with the solid surface, there would be some softening, or at least discoloration.

It is probably the surface versus the edge difference. The surfaces are polished and quite smooth while the edges are "rough", in a relative manner. When I glue up wood, if the wood has been sitting, I run a piece of fine grit sand paper over it as that removes the oils and others "stuff". There was an article about this in one of the wood working magazine a lot time ago.

Be aware that if you're bonding two same color pieces, that the color of the adhesive is very important. The wrong color adhesive will be noticeable.

ABSOLUTELY. Its amazing how large a seam that is probably about 1/128-inch looks on a wide sheet. First time you see one you'll faint!

Also, the adhesive I linked to above works with most brands of solid surface just fine. Most are acrylic based, with the exception of some avonite, which is polyester.
    Now this all got my curiosity up .. think I am going to contact DuPont and find out!

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Livings View Post
    Great build and fabrication. I am in the research and planning stages and appreciate these build logs immensely. But there seems to be a predictable pattern in these builds and that is as the machine gets closer to fruition, the pics and videos drip off significantly presumably due to the fact the builder gets more into what the machine is going to do than how it is being built to do it.
    So please consider this a plaintive request for follow-up pics and even the video you promised a while back. :wave:
    I know I would like to see your handiwork and fabrication solutions from just looking at what you have posted.
    Thanks again Mark and I hope you find the time to post pix and vids.

Lynn

The vids are coming, but I have to get a half height firewire card before I can get them into my computer.. and there still some things that are taking priority as far as the machine goes.. so that keeps getting put off..

But they 'are' coming.. someday..
    :cheers:

Here's a picture of my first 'real' attempt at V Carving.. It is in pine and is a prototype for later versions in hardwood, with varying centerpieces.. click on it and it will take you to a thread in vectric's forum where I was struggling with how to make the file in the first place..

The picture after that is of the original free project courtesy of vectric... Click on that picture and it will take you to the free project at vectric's website... Hope that helps a 'little'..

Zool Stated: Now this all got my curiosity up .. think I am going to contact DuPont and find out!

I did contact DuPont concerning how the adhesive binds two pieces of Corian together:

How exactly does the adhesive bond two pieces of Corian together? Specifically: What is the chemical process/reaction between the adhesive and the material.

Here was the response:

Dear Warren

I sent your email to our technical expert. Below is his reply:

The adhesive bonds to the surface of the sheet. It does not chemically react with the sheet. Another words it does not melt the sheets together.

Thank you for visiting our Corian® web site.

Sharon Weiss
    DuPont Building Innovations

So I ask again:

How exactly does the adhesive bond two pieces of Corian together? Specifically: What is the chemical process/reaction between the adhesive and the material.

And here was the response:

Below is a response from our technical expert.

It sticks to the surface, there is no chemical reaction between the adhesive and the sheet.

Sharon Weiss
    Customer Care Center
    DUCOM 302-999-5876
    [email protected]

After this second response from DuPont, I think I will go ask the basement wall!!

Zool Stated: Now this all got my curiosity up .. think I am going to contact DuPont and find out!

I did contact DuPont concerning how the adhesive binds two pieces of Corian together:

Here was the response:

Dear Warren

I sent your email to our technical expert. Below is his reply:

The adhesive bonds to the surface of the sheet. It does not chemically react with the sheet. Another words it does not melt the sheets together.

Thank you for visiting our Corian® web site.

Sharon Weiss

So I ask again:

And here was the response:

Below is a response from our technical expert.

It sticks to the surface, there is no chemical reaction between the adhesive and the sheet.

Sharon Weiss
    Customer Care Center
    DUCOM 302-999-5876
    [email protected]

After this second response from DuPont, I think I will go ask the basement wall!!
    It might help to do research into cohesion and adhesion, as it pertains to glues, or epoxies as in this case. The bond actually occurs on a molecular level, as even solid surface material has a "rough" surface up close; though we helped it a bit by prepping both surfaces with a belt sander and cleaning with denatured alcohol. Even the oils from your hand would contaminate the surfaces being glued, and especially with light colors, you can see it like a sore thumb.

When we undermounted porcelain or stainless steel sinks to Corian, we hot-melt-glued blocks to the underside to act as guide blocks, then ran a bead of silicone, and placed the sink on. With stainless we used the blocks to mount clips. Finally we wiped the bead clean in the inside of the bowl. No glue penetration, no chemcal bonding, and the bowl will stick there forever.

Another interesting story: It's not a well known fact but Corian and other solid surface material can actually stain and soak up (bleed) color, and one must be careful what caulk is used to affix backsplashes, etc. We had a customer who was a real turd (went around the countertop with a depth gauge to check the overhang!) We were using this light sand matrix color, but was using dark brown caulk along the edge of the backspash to match the tile (we installed a ledger for the tile guys beforehand.) My boss decides to write "F%$! OFF" in caulk on the backsplash. The customer never noticed, but I swear we saw it in reverse the next day! Faint, but definitely everyone we pointed it out to saw it!

Louis regaled us with: Another interesting story: It's not a well known fact but Corian and other solid surface material can actually stain and soak up (bleed) color, and one must be careful what caulk is used to affix backsplashes, etc. We had a customer who was a real turd (went around the countertop with a depth gauge to check the overhang!) We were using this light sand matrix color, but was using dark brown caulk along the edge of the backspash to match the tile (we installed a ledger for the tile guys beforehand.) My boss decides to write "F%$! OFF" in caulk on the backsplash. The customer never noticed, but I swear we saw it in reverse the next day! Faint, but definitely everyone we pointed it out to saw it!

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!

The vids are coming, but I have to get a half height firewire card before I can get them into my computer.. and there still some things that are taking priority as far as the machine goes.. so that keeps getting put off..

But they 'are' coming.. someday..
    :cheers:

Here's a picture of my first 'real' attempt at V Carving.. It is in pine and is a prototype for later versions in hardwood, with varying centerpieces.. click on it and it will take you to a thread in vectric's forum where I was struggling with how to make the file in the first place..

The picture after that is of the original free project courtesy of vectric... Click on that picture and it will take you to the free project at vectric's website... Hope that helps a 'little'..

I wanted the project, but they're forcing me to upgrade to V6 from V5.5. I'm forcing myself to believe that fixing a couple bugs and making the tool window easier to configure justifies the $150 price tag. And I am a Vectric fan, and promote their stuff without compensation. Then again, I wonder if I can run the job with V5.5 (haven't downloaded it yet...)

I would think you could.. but don't know it there's a backwards compatible issue...

Wow, that's not much of a features list for a paid upgrade.. there was nothing else of note? Bug fixes should be free...

Louis regaled us with: Another interesting story: It's not a well known fact but Corian and other solid surface material can actually stain and soak up (bleed) color, and one must be careful what caulk is used to affix backsplashes, etc. We had a customer who was a real turd (went around the countertop with a depth gauge to check the overhang!) We were using this light sand matrix color, but was using dark brown caulk along the edge of the backspash to match the tile (we installed a ledger for the tile guys beforehand.) My boss decides to write "F%$! OFF" in caulk on the backsplash. The customer never noticed, but I swear we saw it in reverse the next day! Faint, but definitely everyone we pointed it out to saw it!

I LIKE IT!!!!!!!

One of my main goals in this venture is to reduce amount of contact with 'customers' to a minimum...

One of my main goals in this venture is to reduce amount of contact with 'customers' to a minimum...
    HAHAHAHA Good luck!

Page 34 of 40 243233343536