587,008 active members*
3,250 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAD Software > Rhino 3D > Should I upgrade my Rhino?

Should I upgrade my Rhino?

Hi guys - First posting in many years! I was very active a few years back, then other things got in the way... long story.

I am dusting off all my CNC yumminess, which consists of my homemade bench mill, Rhino3d (V3), VisualMill (V4), all into a Flashcut servo system. I feel like I am driving a Model T with all this ancient software.

Upgrades to Rhino from V3 to V4 is $395... for us home types, not cheap. What will $395 get me in this upgrade? Is it worth it, or should I simply stick with V3 and be happy with it? The problem with not upgrading is that you become orphaned and left behind.

Thanks!!

Kinda hard to justify the cash at the present moment. I personally would wait until V5 is introduced before dumping that kind of cash. I've been using V5 WIP and its great! It has tabs to switch views as well as tabs for menus. Now my interface view isn't shrunk down by all of these additional menu bars. There is tons more that I'm still finding with V5. Here is a [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zpKZPOo5hg"]YouTube - Novedge Webinar Series Episode 3 What's New in Rhino 5 WIP Part 1[/nomedia] to some videos that show some of the differences. Hope I helped.

TY for the excellent info. I have a lot of research to do, and quite a bit of software in need of upgrading... the cost for upgrading all of my CAD/CAM stuff right now is looking like $2k - ouch!