586,051 active members*
3,638 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

48V Relay troubleshoot

For my first build I'm using an SPST 48V 30A relay (see photo 1) with a Gecko G540, and 48V 7.3A power supply. Without the stepper motors connected, I'm trying to get the relay to turn on the router but all it does is click upon reaching the "switch on" g-code in Mach3 and clicks again when I press stop. Not using a VFD or anything, just need to turn the router on & off. I tried using a ohmeter/voltmeter on the relay's output to the router and it's showing nothing when "clicked on." Photo 2 is how I have it connected. I'm using 14 gauge for all 4 wires. On Mach3 I've got the Spindle setup for Output #1, Port #1, Pin #17 and "Disable Spindle Relays" unchecked. What else could I try?
    Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails reeelay.jpg   relay wired.jpg  

I tried using a ohmeter/voltmeter on the relay's output to the router and it's showing nothing when "clicked on."

Are you checking for voltage or resistance across the output? The output should show zero ohms resistance when the relay is active.
    Bob

"Bad decisions make good stories."

Also check green to blue for 48v when energized.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Thanks for the quick replies.

Quote Originally Posted by bobsch View Post
    I tried using a ohmeter/voltmeter on the relay's output to the router and it's showing nothing when "clicked on."

Are you checking for voltage or resistance across the output? The output should show zero ohms resistance when the relay is active.
    Checked both voltage and resistance across the output, both still zero when active.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Also check green to blue for 48v when energized.
    Al.
    Checked and it's showing 48vdc and about 107vac.

Is this a 0rdinary 12vac router?
    Check the voltage across the two reds (contact) when the relay is De-energized.
    Al.

Albert E.

Can you actuate the relay by connecting one end of the coil to the ground terminal of your 48-volt power supply instead of to pin 5 of the G540?

Is this a 0rdinary 12vac router?
    Check the voltage across the two reds (contact) when the relay is De-energized.
    Al.
    It's a Bosch Colt 120Vac. Some other 12vac appliances were tried, still nothing across the output contacts.

Quote Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
    Can you actuate the relay by connecting one end of the coil to the ground terminal of your 48-volt power supply instead of to pin 5 of the G540?
    That's quicker then going through Mach3, but yes it does actuate, nada on the output contacts.

Tried with the another relay (have 2), same issue.

Very simple, if you have 48v across the coil and can hear it pick up, next with the RED's disconnected check for continuity across the contacts, if not ~0 ohms then your relay is shot, or not picking up.
    Confirm by connecting 48v directly across the coil.
    If the contact show 0 ohms then with the disconnected red pair, jumper them out, apply 120v power and the router should start.
    The above should test every scenario.
    Al.

Albert E.

Very simple, if you have 48v across the coil and can hear it pick up, next with the RED's disconnected check for continuity across the contacts, if not ~0 ohms then your relay is shot, or not picking up.
    Confirm by connecting 48v directly across the coil.
    If the contact show 0 ohms then with the disconnected red pair, jumper them out, apply 120v power and the router should start.
    The above should test every scenario.
    Al.
    You've lost me at jumping. So the red pair from the socket is reconnected to the relay, and 120v goes directly to the socket? Can the 120v come from the power supply's vac terminals? or must it be separate? I'm not very electronically inclined, but I appreciate all the help.

By jumpering or connecting the two red conductors together you are simulating the relay contact, IOW bypassing the relay, if you do this, the router should be on and run.
    On Your 120vac source, assuming the normal black & white conductors, the white should go directly to the router and the black would go to one relay contact, and from the other contact to the router.
    Al.

Albert E.

By jumpering or connecting the two red conductors together you are simulating the relay contact, IOW bypassing the relay, if you do this, the router should be on and run.
    On Your 120vac source, assuming the normal black & white conductors, the white should go directly to the router and the black would go to one relay contact, and from the other contact to the router.
    Al.
    It works! Thanks a bunch Al and everyone.