586,058 active members*
3,310 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question USB to 25 pin compatible with CNC Driver?

I know 25 pin parallel printer ports are recommended, but can I use a USB to 25 pin cable with my breakout board, or would that cause interference somehow and overload the usb? I am sure this has been answered and as you can tell I am new here; any help or links to previous thread answers would be appreciated. Thank You

USB to 25 pin Parallel Printer Cable Adapter Converter | eBay

I do not have any experience with such a device, but my best guess is that it would not work.

The adapter that you linked is designed to support a printer, and it comes with printer driver software to emulate the parallel port over USB. Application software that is intended to create printed output writes that output to the printer driver software, which provides a standard interface for handling printers. [Actually, the application software likely writes its printer output to a "print spooler" (software) that queues up print jobs so that they can be handled one at a time, and then the print spooler writes its output to the printer driver software interface.]

When using the parallel printer port to control a CNC driver, it is extremely unlikely that your controller software will be using printer driver software to control the parallel port, nor will it be sending its output to a print spooler. Rather, your controller software will almost certainly be writing directly to the hardware of the parallel port. It is therefore extremely unlikely that your controller software would be able to work with that USB to parallel port adapter as an alternative to directly controlling the parallel port.

Thanks, so using a usb to 25 pin is a no go, regardless of the printer driver software; I didn't even notice the printer software and was just inquiring about being able to use usb compatibility. Thanks for the fast reply doorknob, you saved me a lot of trouble that I could have walked myself into! Thanks Again

I think I might have found one, but I know to avoid 64 bit OS as it is not usable with Mach 3. Or is it? Thanks
    RS232 USB to Serial PC adapter for CNC's- Fanuc-Mits | eBay

Actually, that one is even less compatible. Most of the CNC kits/machines mentioned here on CNCzone use a parallel port to interface with the motor drivers.

The item you found on ebay is a serial adapter, and works with commercial CNC machines that have some type of computer built into them.

Using any kind of USB-to-anything adapter can cause issues with how fast your CNC machine responds, and may not be compatible with the breakout box that is normally referenced here, such as a Gecko G540.

There have been one kind of CNC USB interface mentioned frequently on CNCzone. I can't remember the exact name, but it has "stream" in the name, I believe.

That one converts between USB and an RS-232 serial port, but not to a parallel printer port.

The CNC machines that supposedly are compatible with that unit are most likely not using the serial port to output stepper motor step and direction commands, rather they are probably using the serial port for remote PC access and programming of the machine's hardwired controller. So that device is not suitable for your use.

Quote Originally Posted by cguy09 View Post

There have been one kind of CNC USB interface mentioned frequently on CNCzone. I can't remember the exact name, but it has "stream" in the name, I believe.
    You may be referring to the "smoothstepper" board:

Warp9 Tech. Design - Home of the SmoothStepper - Home

That's the one....a little more expensive than just a USB-Parallel cable, but a good option.

You've been a huge help doorknob! Another problem averted by someone in the know, thanks. I guess I am just trying to avoid having to buy old tech, but have been sifting through ebay for a refurbished desktop intel core 2, parallel printer port, 32 bit OS (I know many have run their machines on less and older). I will look into the smoothstepper, which without coming here I would have never found; why do all the sites with needed and useful hardware/software for cnc operation look like they are from the 90's, you gotta love it (straight to the point). Thanks Again