586,035 active members*
3,728 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

CNC conversion Grizzly GO492

Hi,
    I'm wanting to install CNC controls on a Grizzly model GO492 combination mill/lathe. Keiling tech. recomended to ask here. So if anyone has information on what to use and how to do it, I would really appreciate it.

While I have no direct experience with the G0492, I hope to be purchasing a 12x36 lathe later this year, and would consider adding CNC control to it.

Adding CNC to the G0492 would be a bit more difficult, if you are intending to CNC both the mill head and the lathe - is that your intention?

If that is your goal, then I'd expect that you could approach the job as two separate conversions, by following a 12x36 lathe conversion and then following the Z-axis conversion of a similarly-sized round-column mill. It is not clear to me whether the G0492 has true milling machine capabilities - that is, can you move the milling head across the workpiece, or vice-versa moving a table that holds the workpiece, in the X and Y axis directions (by using the lathe cross slide and leadscrew capabilities)?

While many folks discourage CNC conversions of round-column mills due to some concern about Z-axis accuracy of resettability, I have seen some such conversions detailed here. Maybe they drive the quill instead of the Z axis on those machines, but I don't really know.

To get an idea of what would be involved in a turnkey (expensive) conversion of a 12x36 lathe, you could take a look at the MicroKinetics kit at CNC Conversion Kits from MicroKinetics (scroll about halfway down the page) - I have no direct experience with them or their kit, but they are an advertiser on this site.