586,096 active members*
3,378 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > reaming vs. boring steel alloy

reaming vs. boring steel alloy

Hi. I make a bunch of various sized gear blanks on a CNC lathe from either 9310 or 4140. Average bore size is about .188, and I need to hold .0005" tolerance on that bore. I've been making the parts using solid carbide boring bars. When I make a job out of 4140, I can usually make about 2000 parts without having a single part undersize on the bore. With 9310, it's a different story. I'm always struggling to keep the bore size off the bottom. My best results so far are with a brand new TiN coated tool, but once that tool starts to get just a little dull, the bore size starts closing up on me. I originally tried reaming with a HSS tool, but that was awful. The material just welded to the tool and cut oversize or tapered right away. I was using oil, by the way. Anyway, I'm wondering what you would do? I'm fine making the 4140 parts, but with the 9310 should I stick with the boring bar and just keep sharpening / changing bars frequently, or should I go back to reaming? Maybe trying a coated and/ or carbide reamer? Thoughts?

What state is the 9310 in? Is it getting hardened after your operations?
    Are you running the reamer at least 1/2 the speed of a HSS drillbit? The only other thing I can think of is you should only be cutting about 0.010" to 0.025" with the reamer (meaning the hole should be undersize by 0.010" to 0.025" before reaming).

The 9310 is annealed, and yes, it gets hardened after my operations. I don't remember exactly, but I believe I was leaving about .010" for reaming and running it about 40 sfm.

Have you had any success reaming any type of material on said machine?

DP

Actually, no, I don't think I have ever reamed on this machine. I much prefer to bore when I can. If you're thinking that the machine might be out of alignment... it's a gang-tool lathe, so I aligned the holder with an indicator to be in line with the spindle. I tried holding the reamer rigidly and also in a floating holder. No luck.

Quote Originally Posted by wmpy View Post
    ? Maybe trying a coated and/ or carbide reamer? Thoughts?
    best bet would most likely be a solid carbide reamer that is dialed in dead nuts
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I think I'll try that. Do you recommend a floating holder? or holding rigidly?

rigid and dialed in dead nuts
    A poet knows no boundary yet he is bound to the boundaries of ones own mind !! ........

I think your reaming speed is at the low end of recommended drilling SFM. I think you are reaming too fast for HSS is low carbon. I would say 10-15 SFM for the HSS reamer rather than 40 SFM in that material. You might be smoking the reamer and forcing the galling.