586,067 active members*
5,257 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Thread: rs232?

Smile rs232?

hello im new to this forum and some what new to cnc programming. i work for a small shop as a programmer, we have a total of about 10 cnc machines currently we tranfer programs from the server to the cnc via flash drives or floppy drives. we also have a tool presetter that has the capabiliy to send offsets via rs232 but we dont. my question is what softwares or systems are availble to transfer these types of info in a more modern fashion.

Cadem has DNC software for upload/download at the machine from/to an unattended server PC.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

rs232 software

Hyperterminal is free with Windows XP or
    HyperTerminal Windows 7 Terminal Emulation Program - Hilgraeve
    ....has trial version
    many CadCam programs like Mastercam come with an editor with rs232 capabilities.
    i have used the free Hyperterminal and Mastercam X editor for transferring programs. i use a laptop or an older desktop computer all the time. almost any old computer will store many many thousands of programs.
    yes you can spend money for software but you might want to try the free software first. i find it amusing that people will say you need to buy a new computer and software for transferring programs. most times you need to buy nothing although i admit if an old computer that has a USB port and Windows XP it is easier than dealing with floppy disks or cd-rw disks.
    Laplink® Software - Cables - Product Detail
    .....null modem serial cable i prefer a laplink one. it has 9 and 25 pin plug on at least 1 end (old ones had 9 and 25 pin plug on both ends). most computers have a 9 pin plug and a CNC could have a 25 or 9 pin plug. on ebay i have bought laplink cables for about $5 plus shipping.
    when sending programs sometime there is send a file option and another option might be just to send (text) file. usually you want to just send text. but different programs might call it slightly different. i admit to being used to MasterCam X editor and when showing someone how to use Hyperterminal i was stuck for a few minutes figuring it out.
    ....picture shows Hyperterminal screen shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HyperTerminal1.jpg  

It might help if we knew what machines you are using (make,model and control) and the toolpresetter. As stated earlier, hyperterminal, cadem etc will sent rs232 data to the machines if a rs232 port is available and also drip feed might be a possibility. We would require further information, eg. a old Bridgeport works with a program called EZLINK.

CURRENTLY WE HAVE, HAAS VF3, HAAS VF7,HAASVF3SSYT, ROBODRILL T21ID W/FANUC 16I MB CONTROLER, MATSUURA H.PLUS-300 W/MATSUURA GTECH 30I CONTROLLERS AND AS FAR AS PRESETTER IVE TALKED OWNERS INTO UPDATING TO A NEWER PREESETTER SO IM NOT SURE OF WHAT WELL GET.
    THANKS FOR RESPONESES THUS FAR!!!!

Cadem.com has most of the controls listed as to cable configuration and start and end characters needed, the other machines you will probably have the manuals. Since you want to tranfer via 232 then Cadem dnc lite will work(free) for each machine or you could look at license for the number you need and ask for assistance. You would want to make sure that the program works for machines you wish to load as some programs you will want to run on another machine if available, so ask for assurance. I have no affiliation with Cadem, but they do have the information available (free of charge) and have always given great service.

I'm a new to CNC and to controls. I currently am working on a Fanuc 15M controller for a Shoda CNC 3 axis router that was bought used.
    I've got my com program set to 4800,7,E,1, xon/xof and can't get a
    response from the serial port before it times out. I've used from
    2400 to 9600 baud; 8,7 bits, even, odd, and no parity and 2, 1.5 and 1
    stop bits. This is a port I could talk to sometime in the past and was used by the previous owners.
    I've run a loop back test on the computer port and the cable. I have
    a port monitor that says the computer is putting out data until it
    doesn't get a response from the Fanuc.
    The Fanuc control is set using the program>program>program>read>(prog
    #)>number>exec sequence of soft keys. The read indicator on the
    screen is blinking but goes to a BG806 error-mismatch device when the stop softkey is pushed.
    Currently the listing of the 5000 series parameter I have found are:
    5001 1
    5002 2
    5003 0
    5010 3 <-device type
    5111 1 <-1 stop bit
    5112 11 <-baud rate=9600
    5120 3
    5121 1
    5122 11 <-baud rate=9600
    5130 0
    5131 0
    5132 0
    0000 00001010
    I'm at my wits end trying to figure out what's wrong. Could someone
    make a suggestion as to where to look or what may be wrong?
    R. Wink

Need Help! rs232?

Quote Originally Posted by WayneHill View Post
    Already been through all that with the cable. Your cable pinout is not what is published in the machine manual for this machine. I made and tested a cable for this machine that matches the pinout pbulished.
    0021, 22 and 23 are set to 1; 5001 =>RS232C1 DVCSLCT is 1.
    I'll have to look at control page settings as I don't remember looking at or setting them.
    The Fanuc manual indicates that the correct procedure to "Data input from Tape" is to set the "Memory Protect Key" to off, be in "EDIT" mode using the program key to get to the "READ" softkey, the "(PROG#)" softkey enter a program number then press the "EXEC" key.
    At that point the controller is blinking "READ" and has the "STOP" softkey highlighted. The computer sends the data out but never gets a return signal.
    The cable forthis machine is:
    PC side Machine Side
    1-------------------->1
    2-------------------->3
    3-------------------->2
    4-------------------->5
    5-------------------->4
    6-------------------->6, 8, 20
    7-------------------->7
    R. Wink
    R. Wink

I have always used the 3 wire cable with the hardware handshake jumpered out.
    Although Fanuc has to see the H.W. H.S present, it does not use it to control flow, it uses software handshake for this.
    You also have to set up XON/XOFF in your sending S/W.
    I have the Fanuc RS232 manual for the 10/11/12, IIRC all the parameters are the same for the 15.
    If you need it, I can send it via email, PM me an address if so.
    Al.

Albert E.

BTW, it looks like your pin out diagram is for a 25D to 25D pin out, not a 9 to 25 pin, if you do happen to be using the usual current PC 9 pin?
    Al.

Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    BTW, it looks like your pin out diagram is for a 25D to 25D pin out, not a 9 to 25 pin, if you do happen to be using the usual current PC 9 pin?
    Al.
    According to the manual, this is the pinout for a DB9 computer to DB25 Fanuc cable. Actually, that's not right. The pinout came from the Shoda manual. This Fanuc 15M is on a 2 pallet (each 5 x 10 ft) 3 axis router with 4 router heads, 20 drill heads and an indexable saw.
    R. Wink
    R. Wink

I have always used the 3 wire cable with the hardware handshake jumpered out.
    Although Fanuc has to see the H.W. H.S present, it does not use it to control flow, it uses software handshake for this.
    You also have to set up XON/XOFF in your sending S/W.
    I have the Fanuc RS232 manual for the 10/11/12, IIRC all the parameters are the same for the 15.
    If you need it, I can send it via email, PM me an address if so.
    Al.
    I have the 3 manual from Fanuc, an operator's manual and 3 manual from Shoda.
    The sequence for setting the controller to receive came from appendix 13 list of operations while the pinout came from one of the Shoda manuals. Thank you for the offer, though.
    R. Wink
    R. Wink

This is for the 0, but the RS232 cable pinouts are the same.
    Al.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Albert E.

Al.
    You're right, I was wrong. After correcting the cable and using Machine Link software, I'm finally able to connect to the machine. Turns out that it's set at 9600 baud, no parity, 8 bits, 1 stop bit, xon/xoff which the software auto-detected.
    Functions as it should now.
    Tanks for the help.
    R. Wink
    R. Wink