586,036 active members*
3,540 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Mechanical Calculations/Engineering Design > Machined aluminum cylinder. Wall thickness for HPA?

Machined aluminum cylinder. Wall thickness for HPA?

Hey, first time posting here... a rather simple question to break the ice :P

I'm currently in the pre-drawing stages of building a paint ball gun. In the marker, there will be a chamber that gets pressurized with (hopefully) ~300psi and no more than 400psi air.

This chamber will be cylindical and will be aluminum rod turned and bored on the lathe. I'm not yet aware of the quality of aluminum but I will be going for the highest grade readily available.

The chamber will have a diameter of ~0.689 - 1", depending on what the wall thickness needs to be and a few other factors.

I don't like the idea of having to calculate this with so many variables (many of which are yet to be determined/rely on this dimension) so I figured I'd ask some experienced people and see what they "feel" is a safe thickness!

So how thick should the cylinder wall be to be safe?

With a safety factor of 5, you will need a wall thickness of 0.19" on a 1" ID chamber. I just used 6061 alu.

Calculated with a quick simulation in SolidWorks.

Are you just making the body of the marker?

Thanks! I didn't really have my hope up for a response, that saves me a headache.

The "cylinder" will actually be a section of the bolt, which will get pressurized within. I'm also making the receiver and body and every thing else. As long as I get the final snags in my design figured out.

Sounds interesting. Good luck with it!

Do you know about this forum? TalonAirgun.com - Index Even though it's mainly for Talon/AirForce guns, theres a lot of good ideas that can be adapted to DIY HPA guns. Lot of knowledgeable people and pretty helpful too.