586,108 active members*
2,941 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Tormach Personal CNC Mill > Yet another use for TTS toolholders

Yet another use for TTS toolholders

Yet another use for TTS toolholders. I have many TTS toolholders for use on my Tormach PCNC mill and manual Rockwell mill. I also use TTS on my 8” rotary table. Now I have TTS working on my lathe. Shown is a TTS drill chuck mounted in a ¾” 5C collet in a KDK bar on a KDK QCTP.
    http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1.../TTS-lathe.jpg

Don

Hi Don
    Pretty slick.
    Adjusting your tool height is easy enough with the adj. on the KDK but how tough is it to get "X" on center and "Y" parallel ?

I have one of these and have put my TTS drill chucks in it many times, like spot drill , drill and reamer.

Being in the tailstock kind of solves the alignment issues , but mine has a little play although the spot drill seems to self center and from there all is good.

Scott
    www.sdmfabricating.com

Hi Scott,
    I dial parallelism in with an Interapid vertical indicator on a Noga clone holder. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...terapidTDI.jpg
    The same centering tool with an Interapid horizontal indicator used on the Tormach is mounted in a ¾” 5C collet in the lathe spindle. http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i1...nterFinder.jpg
    The lathe is equipped with a Newall DRO so once the tool is dialed in using the TDI tools then repeating the center is done using the DRO. KDK QCTP bars are very repeatable and offsets can be entered into the Newall DRO tool table.
    I also have a tailstock turret like you show but never use it because the turret lacks rigidity. BTW my tailstock sits 4 mills higher than the spindle. Sideways offset is adjustable on the tailstock and height differences are usually not so critical. However I am thinking of milling the cast iron tailstock base down using the Tormach, then hand scrapping to finish. Time to dig out my copy of Machine Tool Reconditioning by Edward F. Connelly.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Scott_M View Post
    Hi Don
    Pretty slick.
    Adjusting your tool height is easy enough with the adj. on the KDK but how tough is it to get "X" on center and "Y" parallel ?

I have one of these and have put my TTS drill chucks in it many times, like spot drill , drill and reamer.

Being in the tailstock kind of solves the alignment issues , but mine has a little play although the spot drill seems to self center and from there all is good.

Scott