586,069 active members*
3,402 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Senior Year CNC Machine Project

Hello, my name is Brandon and I have recently finished drawing all of the parts to Joe's 2006 CNC machine in CAD and I am ready to cut out all of the parts in MDF and HDPE using my school's CNC machine.

My problem is after this step I am lost as to what kind of nuts and bolts I need to assemble the machine with, mainly the bolts that I see in everyones build that run all the way through the torsion boxes.

I have attached photos that show the bolts that I am confused about.

After reading through many people's build threads I got inspired to make my own build thread, so from now up until the finish of my machine I will be updating the thread with build progress photos and video.

Thanks for your responces!
    BStarr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1030622.JPG   P1030627.JPG  

The long bolts that run all the way thru the parts shown are 1/4x20 'all thread'. Basically, it is a 1/4" rod that is threaded from one end to the other. You can buy them at some hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Don

Thank you so much because I have been stuck on this problem for a long time!

Looks nice Brandon, nice fit on the parts. Look forward to seeing it all come together for you.
    Thanks,
    Joe

www.joescnc.com
    joecnc2006 at yahoo

Sorry Joe I guess I did not specify that those photos were from the Sophmore CNC build log. However my build is going good, with only a few speed bumps!

I was wondering if you could send me a copy of your assembly manual for this machine. I found where you posted a link to the manual at one time in Joes CNC 2006 thread, but the link is now dead. This would help clearify what kind of bolts I need for the bearing brackets and many other uncertainties that will arise as my build progresses.

My email is [email protected]

Thanks, BStarr!

Earlier this week I finally got to cutting the first set of half inch components to Joe's 2006 CNC machine. Since the sheet of MDF was bowed slightly we decided to zero the Z-axis of the school's CNC to the highest point of the bow to avoid cutting through the table, but this ended of leaving a bunch of components cut three quarters of the way through. This meant a whole lot of finishing work. First I cut all of the pieces from the sheet of MDF with a hand saw. Next I cut out all of the wieght saving cut outs in the ribs of the frame. Finally my instructor came up with a fast way to get rid of the excess material left over from the CNC machine not cutting all of the way through the board. We used a flush trim router bit setup on the router table, and the end result was a perfect edge on all of the components!

On the next sheet I will just set the lowest part of the bow as the zero position for the Z-axis to avoid having to finish cut components, because even though the breakthrough was set to a sixteenth of an inch the board was at least an eigth inch off of the table at its lowest point.

BStarr
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Solar Plane March Progress and CNC Machine Build 026(1).jpg   Solar Plane March Progress and CNC Machine Build 027(1).jpg   Solar Plane March Progress and CNC Machine Build 028(1).jpg   Solar Plane March Progress and CNC Machine Build 029(1).jpg  

Solar Plane March Progress and CNC Machine Build 030(1).jpg   Solar Plane March Progress and CNC Machine Build 031(1).jpg  

Another thing you could do beyond fixing sag in the top of the CNC table is to add another 1/4" spoil board on top of the existing table, add some extra depth to your cuts and cut into the additional spoil board. That would let you do full cuts but not harm the existing CNC table top.

I also attached the Joe's 2006 R2 pdf manual below for you.

Don
    Attached Files Attached Files