586,116 active members*
3,469 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Mechanical Engineering > Linear and Rotary Motion > DIY Pick'n'Place component selection and solder station: not PCB routing, tracks, etc

DIY Pick'n'Place component selection and solder station: not PCB routing, tracks, etc

Hi,

I'm currently a student moving from my decades of education into the 'real' world, and ofcourse into work. I'm currently building a pick'n'place machine.

At the moment the main design is focused on making a manual (not CNC)solder machine, based on the same priniciple as a milling machine; where for example a user would hold an IC against a PCB with tweezers and would then operate the machine much like a mill.

I am aiming for will be +/- 0.01mm per 25cm. Would that be possible with ballscrew mounted axis ? (with 1/3600 modded stepper motors, direct to plane as opposed to belted).

Any help would be appreciated in regards to planning, design and building (especially components brands/places to buy cheaply).

I have so far planned the electrical side, designed the CNC electronics and driver software for it.

I'm a dab hand with the black and decker so 'hit me with what you got'!

Many thanks,
    Gabriel

Hi Gabriel,
    I hope you have done a search here at cnczone using the words "pick and place". You will see that this topic has been discussed at length previously. What are you hoping to do? Make one for yourself or start manufacturing pick and place machines. There are a few guys here who wanted to build their own pick and place machine. Ciccio (from Italy) is one that comes to mind. The general consensus is that the hardest part to make is the trueing station (whatever that is I don't know) and above all the feeder spools. Mariss Freiman who is highly respected here commented that in his opinion it is much cheaper/better to go and buy a good second hand unit and away you go.
    I know that Deviant (Mike) one of our members here, recently bought a good one for under $1,000 because it had a problem. He got it installed and cleaned some dirty contacts and the machine has been in use ever since. I think (but am not sure) he said it was worth more than $100,000 new and it's only a few years old. With the way the pcb manufacturing (completed boards) companies in first world countries are dropping like flies, there are plenty of bargains to be had at present and for the foreseeable future. Also it sounds like nothing on the electronics/electrics side of things is going to be too difficult for you so all the better if you buy a machine with low hours but with an electronic or electrical problem. Anyway good luck with what ever you decide.

By the way, have you seen this cheapie for +/-$20,000:
    http://www.madelltech.com/m2.html

Thanks skippy!

I was very determined to build my own, but I may have a look into the second hand market. Thank you!

if you need a 2500 watt 13.5 khz ena powersupply (ena25) for this machine i have a new one ..... real cheap

Would a few 500W PC PSUs be OK for a DIY pnp machine?