586,068 active members*
4,388 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > Laser Engraving and Cutting Machines > Laser Engraving / Cutting Machine General Topics > Which laser cutting machine to go for? Mazak/ Amada/ Trumpf?

Which laser cutting machine to go for? Mazak/ Amada/ Trumpf?

Hi Everyone

I intend to buy a laser cutting machine for job work purposes and need to finalize it this month. Have narrowed it down to 2 machines now:

1. Mazak 2D STX 48 Champion 1.3 kW (Cutting capability: MS - 12 mm)
    2. Amada FOM2 - 2412NT - 2.5kW (Cutting capability: MS - 16 mm)

Both the machines are more or less similarly priced. The third option I have is Trumpf's 3030 basic edition (3.2 kW; Cutting capability: MS - 20 mm). But I will really have to stretch my budget for this one.

I am based in Bombay, India. I have never worked on a laser before and would really appreciate all your inputs to help me decide which one to go for.

Thanks in advance.

Henna.

welcome Henna
    I have direct experience with one of the mentioned machines, and indirect experience with the other two. By that, I mean that I talk frequently with owners of the two other machines. I will have to temper this answer to the opinions I give are from the sum of the experiences as I have encountered.
    The Mazak is an ok machine if it is your first machine and you do not have much of a budget up front. However, it will nickle and dime you to death. It uses up consumables, like nozzles, tips and optics, and the replacements are not as economical as you would like. It requires the most maintenance of the three mentioned.
    The Amada is a super machine. It has a very user friendly interface and software package. The basic machine is straight forward design and is robust to do heavy and light work. It is easier on the consumables and gas consumption. It has Fanuc electronics and resonator. I have never been pleased with Fanuc service and their replacement parts are on the expensive side. But Amada may have that covered through their own network. Their resonator technology seems to be fast flow axial CO2 that is RF excited, which is the best current type of resonator.
    The Trumpf, to me, is the top choice. It has a RF pumped resonator which delivers a exceptional beam quality. The layout of the resonator is very compact and leads to a smaller overall foot print for the cutting system. The mirror optic delivery system is self adjusting to keep the beam consistent through out the entire cutting envelop. It too is easy on consumables, both hardware and gases. It also uses Siemens electronics which has better recognition around the world. That means service parts are more readily available through out the world.
    I would suggest:
    Trumpf first, power, compact foot print, excellent service, excellent cutting capabilities. Good software. You might have to stretch your budget up front, but it will pay it self off by process speed and capacity.
    Amada second, Good machine and second best power. slightly larger system layout. Good software
    Mazak third.

One last though, when you buy cutting power, buy the most wattage you can! If two machines are similar price, go for the wattage! It means faster cutting speeds and less waste. It also opens your market up to precision thicker plate cutting. What would a customer in your area pay for 1500mm x 3000mm x 20mm plate cut to +/-.25mm tolerance?
    good luck!

Smile Thanks a ton!

Dear Laser3kw

Thanks a lot for your advice. Really appreciate it.

I shall check the feasibility of stretching my budget to go for Trumpf. Or else, will go for Amada.

Henna.

Laser3kw - thank's for detailed post! I am working with low power CO2 lasers for many years, but always was interested in having brief information/comparation about powerful lasers (just for general education )

laser choice

i have 3 friends all laser shop owners 3 different shop.
    they have a few different brands machine they all say that Bystronic is
    in a league of it's own. better quality cut and much shorter time cycle.
    they say that the least perfomance are mazak and amada.
    sad to hear because mazak for chip metal rocks.

Thanks for the inputs Mazatrolonline.

Henna, laser choice

I would look at a Prima. Easier to fix, less expensive to run, smaller footprint, awesome resonator. The key to a good laser is the frame/foundation. Prima is made of polymer granite, much like a CMM table. .001" accuracy across the entire table. Check out the Platino 1530. By the way, 5,511" inches a minute repo, no one can touch that without using linear drives. Plus- NO foundation needed!

hii henna

i am from ahmedabad and user of two mazak machines.... 2007 and 2010

also place order for third machine recently but slowed down as YEN has shoot up.

i am one of satisfied user of mazak in India. best part is service support and spares parts availability in India is no issue for Mazak.

we purchased first laser in 2006 with some doubt in mind as i was new to CNC field but my partner was quite familiar with CNCs (HMC, VMC) from mazak and other brands.

we decided to go for Mazak after visiting their showroom in Pune.

support and service till today has no issue for us and in india they have grown steadily.

one drawback .. they are not so aggressive in marketing in India but support wise no one can beat them atleast in Gujarat.

apart from Mazak trumpf is also a good choice but has some nitch in terms of start up time and electrical consumption.

for god sake do not go for Amada as they will kill you on spare parts prices and maintenance.

however you may select from mazak ot trumpf.

SASO1310

Hello

Dear Sir,
    I want to meet you in person, do you provide your contact please, I want to get some information of CNC Lase Cutting Machine
    Thanks
    Goverdhan Makani
    079 40032196

Quote Originally Posted by saso1310 View Post
    hii henna

i am from ahmedabad and user of two mazak machines.... 2007 and 2010

also place order for third machine recently but slowed down as YEN has shoot up.

i am one of satisfied user of mazak in India. best part is service support and spares parts availability in India is no issue for Mazak.

we purchased first laser in 2006 with some doubt in mind as i was new to CNC field but my partner was quite familiar with CNCs (HMC, VMC) from mazak and other brands.

we decided to go for Mazak after visiting their showroom in Pune.

support and service till today has no issue for us and in india they have grown steadily.

one drawback .. they are not so aggressive in marketing in India but support wise no one can beat them atleast in Gujarat.

apart from Mazak trumpf is also a good choice but has some nitch in terms of start up time and electrical consumption.

for god sake do not go for Amada as they will kill you on spare parts prices and maintenance.

however you may select from mazak ot trumpf.

SASO1310

Bystronic

We recently purchased a 6kw Bystronic BySpeed Pro. Whilst I can't comment on the support in India it is absolutely essential that whichever manufacturer you choose you need to guarantee their service is good and reliable, because if there is a problem with the machine you need them on site as quickly as possible before you start to lose money.

We looked at a Trumpf 3030 6kw as well, however we got much more for our money from Bystronic. The machine is faster and automation was cheaper so i think they are definitely worth a look, their 4.4kw can cut 25mm Mild Steel (slowly) as well.

We viewed Amada machines but their consumables are twice the price of Trumpf/Bystronic and we found that when doing demonstrations for us, the machine made a mess of the cut on multiple occasions. Trumpf and Bystronic are in a league of their own.

As a first time laser owner you will definitely find a very steep learning curve with whichever machine you choose. But after a few months you will definitely not regret it. As someone else said, it's worth stretching your budget now and getting the machine with the biggest capacity as you'll kick yourself when your turning down inquiries for 15mm + material.

If I can be of any more advice please don't hesitate to contact me via PM.

thanks
    hello_world

don't overlook mitsubishi.

I have ran mitsubishi lasers for years and bystronic lasers. one thing i have learned about mitsubishi is they always seem to work. the bystronic is expensive to run and doesn't produce neer the quality the mitsubishi does. The operating cost is rediculously low. they don't break, support is great...

cost is comparable if not lower then trumpf and bystronic. and did i mention i have never had to worry about anything from the resonator. changed a few optics and that's it. not rebuild, or replace.

have a look. my opinion they are the one to beat.

Smile Trumpf and Mazak in India

Hii

I am user of both trumpf amd Mazak. User of trumpf for last 4 years and purchased one mazak 3D just one year back.

both machines are worth the brand names they reflect!! Performance, cutting speeds, software features etc are best to compare equally.

when it comes to support, as both companies has set up in Pune, has no issues about availability of local service.

But when it comes to spare parts, Mazak has advantage as now they are maintating good spares inventory. Trumpf also good in spare parts but has to wait for delivery from abroad.

Recently visited mazak new set up in pune. comapred with any other companies it really rocks!! you can imagine that they are in India with very firm long term planning.
    Toll free telephone online support by mazak in Pune is very attractive. My operators are not worried about mid night support as Mazak has 24 X 7 telephone online support in INdia.

Both are equally comparable brands but wattage to be given to after sales support, spare parts availability and max up time ofmachine.

End of the day investing such a big money should be worth to be paid back!!!

thanks!!

Mazak in India

Hi Henna

Hope you have not taken decision yet. We are from Pune and recently purchases STX 48 Cp.

We both brothers are satisfied with our decision to buy Mazak as whatever commited before finalization is now reflected in results.

It seems, Mazak is really keen to increase the customer base now and we are getting good support.

Online toll free telephone support is free for all customers and we get our calls answered even if we call in midnight.

my recommendation is to go for Mazak!!

Thanks!!

Smile hii...Mazak is best

I would vote for Mazak. Value for money, trusted brand, nice after sales support, machines are user friendly. We are using Mazak Laser made in 1997 and still working good.

We are currently exploring 93) machines. The mazak optiplex 3015, the trumpf3030 and the mitsubishi.
    The mazak and trumpf are both axial flow but the mits is of there own design 9cross flow)
    traverse speed is a non issue but reliability and service are paramount. Any thoughts?

I Would have to go with the trumpf 3030 truflow 5000. Its a complete new design, touch screen montior, 5000 watt resonator, only one cutting head, no wires or hoses, the head is vacumed sealed into place and is designed to take a good hit without breaking things as well. I t has a new feature on the machine called post production. What that is, is when an operator loses a part or two, they can go directly into the nest and program what pasrts they are short without having to go into the nesting software and reprogramming them. Its good for when operators are on and off shift and there are no programers around.

Trump all the way. We are cutting 1.25 inch carbon on a 5000w trumpf with no dross and parts fall right out of the skeleton. Once you learn how to change beam diameter and your teachable you will be amazed at what the trumpf will do. I would love to see if other lasers can produce the same size and quality.

I am an entrepreneur and keen in installing a laser cutting machine in Hyderabad.
    I am new to this ..
    please advise cost of Mazak machine with project report of the unit.
    thanks a million for the help.