586,103 active members*
3,367 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > Mass finishing equipment/media/strategies > Aluminium passivation - for aluminium to be used outside

Aluminium passivation - for aluminium to be used outside

I'm building small parts of aluminium (6086-T6) for use outdoors. I'm trying to work out how to best seal the aluminium but I'm struggling to find any information. I want to be eco friendly as possible so would ideally prefer not to plate or anodise if I can avoid it.

I was hoping that using Desmut then boiling the aluminium would be enough.

However, speaking to one company who both sells and anodises aluminium reckons that to prevent corrosion I have to anodise. Where as Gateros Plating says that desmut and leaving in the air is sufficient.

Any ideas or any professionals out there that can give me advice on this? I just don't want my aluminium to corrode.

Thanks

You can only put off corrosion for a period of time.

So with that being said. anodizing works well, hard anodizing is even better.

I don't believe passivization works on aluminum the same as it does for Stainless steel (which I think what passivization is for) Although from what I know (which is very little) of the passivization process, anodizing is similar in that it runs an electric current in the metal changing its surface characteristics.

I live by the beach in CA and aluminum just doesn't survive with Any coating I've tried. Not familiar with Desmut process.

thats my 2 cents...hopefully someone with more information chimes in.

M.
    thanks
    Michael T.
    "If you don't stand for something, chances are, you'll fall for anything!"

Depends what your outside environment is, on the particular alloy and on the temper as to whether an aluminum alloy will corrode badly outside. Some alloys can handle sea salt or road salt exposure with hardly any marking let alone serious corrosion, others will corrode and pit badly within months. Anodizing will reduce the amount of corroding and pitting but it is no guarantee that this will not occur.

Have you looked up the corrosion properties of the alloy you are using. I am not familiar with 6086 but I do know that 6061 has good exposure resistance and good strength. I think some of the 5000 series are good for marine exposure but they do not have the same strength as 6061 I think, and they are not as easily machinable.

Why did you choose 6086?
    An open mind is a virtue...so long as all the common sense has not leaked out.

Sorry its 6082-T6 not 6086. I used it because its easy to machine and acording to the merchants it has exellent corrosion resitance. Plus its easy to get hold of here.

I think I need to simulate the effects of corrosion, maybe i'll do a few different things with some parts and set up some sort of salt water mist over them for a week.

The parts are really for peoples gardens which tend not be costal but I guess potentially they could be.