586,077 active members*
3,845 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > BobCad-Cam > How to select geometry from 3d model

How to select geometry from 3d model

I am having problems selecting 4 holes from a IGES model I imported in order to create toolpaths for a drilling operation.

The holes in question happen to be half on a ledge, and half off the ledge - the ledge being 0.050" high. If I zoom in and select all the individual segments that make up the hole (including the bits that rise up the ledge) I get nothing in the geometry selection dialog.

If I drag select around an individual hole, I get the hole which happens to be 0.070" in dia, but I also get another hole of dia .125 which does not exist. When I do this and complete the dialog, and run verification it drills my 0.070 holes as it should but then it drills a .125" hole just inside all four holes. By inside I don't mean concentric, I mean offset toward the center of the part.

By the way, I did the Extract Edges from Solid function on the part before doing the drilling operation.

How is one supposed to select geometry from a 3D part? This specific issue with the holes is just the tip of the iceberg. I am having problems selecting other profiles and things on this part as well. But I figure if I can just solve one problem at a time.... This is really driving me crazy. I've spent hours trying to do this only to give up and go to 2D drawings. But this must be possible, otherwise 3D geometry is just useless!

made some progress but still have problems

I was able to get the lines of my solid (essentially a wireframe) onto another layer and can now select the holes.

I can't however select an inner profile that I want to pocket. I select the line for geometry but no toolpaths are generated. I have played with all the parameters I though it might be, including the start point, reselecting the geometry, the compensation, and climb vs conventional, but nothing I do will allow toolpaths to be generated.

I really wish BobCad had a log or console that would tell you why tool paths are not being generated... It is sooooo frustrating.

It's a geometry problem. Your best bet is to try to clean up the profile you are trying to use to get ride of the little tiny line segments. If BobCAD won't generate tool path it's because of the geometry.

Bobcad has tools to clean up and optimize chains but that doesn't always work, and it may not for what you are trying to do. Can you post the wire frame file here so I can look at it?

does this look like what you are trying to drill
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails drill.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    does this look like what you are trying to drill
    Yes, exactly. It turns out I was able to finally select the holes after running extract edges from solid to a new layer. However there are other problems selecting similar geometry.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen123 View Post
    It's a geometry problem. Your best bet is to try to clean up the profile you are trying to use to get ride of the little tiny line segments. If BobCAD won't generate tool path it's because of the geometry.

Bobcad has tools to clean up and optimize chains but that doesn't always work, and it may not for what you are trying to do. Can you post the wire frame file here so I can look at it?
    Attached is a DWG of the wireframe. I am trying to select the inner profile that looks roughly like:

------------
    | ||||||||||
    |-----------
    ||||||||
    --------
    Attached Files Attached Files

there may be 2-3 ways to do this
    i would extract edges of the half circle (change color)

then snap a point arc center for each hole
    then snap a arc to the point of your .070 dia ???
    then you can do a profile or a pocket with a end mill
    to get the half circle out of the way
    then you can drill
    and use the point or circle as needed

this worked fine here off your wire

edit
    i tried the pocket it has as many as 4 lines on top of each other
    so a pocket or profile will give you a fit
    maybe allen will look at this and find a solution
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2011-04-07_2207.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dwood View Post
    i tried the pocket it has as many as 4 lines on top of each other
    so a pocket or profile will give you a fit
    maybe allen will look at this and find a solution
    Yes, it is indeed giving me fits. I am once again going back to creating a pile of 2d images to bring in as layers. This is quite a bummer.

Thanks for looking at it though.

Here's your file cleaned up a bit, but still may need work, or not be usable for what you need..

First, the model is not a well formed solid, so the curves extracted will need work, or just be incorrect.. This will depend on the accuracy you need for the cut. I couldnt completely fix it well because i didnt have the dimensions to know which was correct.. Here's a view so you can see...

I made your edges into a layout so you could use them for machining... However, you will need to do some zooming and measuring and trimming or extending in some areas to be able to use full profiles and pockets.

So, from the 2d wires layer, look at this area here:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2d_look_close.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	21.5 KB 
ID:	131297

If you zoom in to this area and look, you will see this:

Name:	2d_look_close2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	10.1 KB 
ID:	131298

These are comming from the original model, which has some poorley defined surfaces that dont meet. It is not a "Solid"..

If you look at the 3d curves layer in this area:

Name:	3d_look_close.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	131299

And look in zoomed a bit, you will see this type of thing:

Name:	3d_look_close2.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	131300

This vertical wall comming down is a bit out from the other, and just ends out in space... There are a few of these around. It will look the same on both sides. You can still use this, it will just mean you will have to work to get the proper selection for each area..

First, i would use measurments to be sure these pockets are the correct size.. Alot are me just picking which lines to keep and discard to get the 2d representation.. I may have kept the free floating one when the inner one was the correct dims, or vise versa..

Anyway, you can break, trim and extend any of the 2d ones to meet the pocket and profile requirments faily quickly... Be sure to zoom to any intersections to be surte they meet, and are correct dims.
    Attached Files Attached Files