586,364 active members*
3,003 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Centroid probe/tool setter splitter box

I've got a Centroid conversion on my Tree J425 mill. The probe and TT1 tool setter are very handy, but the plug they share is on the side of a cabinet mounted to the back of the machine. To get there from the front of the machine where the console is I have to make a big loop around all the stuff packed into the garage, and then back again to operate the mill, then back to unplug, then back to the console.

This was getting pretty old so I made a "splitter box" so I could have the probe and TT1 plugged in all the time and just flip toggle switches to change modes.

This does make it possible to defeat the safety feature in the control that prevents spindle operation when the probe is detected. But I'm the only one who uses the machine and the probe is inserted, used, and taken out when finished so I don't think there is much chance I'll run the spindle with the probe in place.

I ordered the parts from Mouser.com and here's a list of what I used. A EE friend suggested these toggle switches with gold-plated contacts as I live near the beach and he figured they would be more resistant to corrosion.

571-1-206062-6 Tyco Standard Circular Connectors STD CABLE CLAMP 11
    571-2064331 Tyco Standard Circular Connectors RECP SQUARE REV 11-8
    571-2064341 Tyco Standard Circular Connectors PLUG REVERSE 11-8
    4 571-665693 Tyco Standard Circular Connectors SOLDER SKT
    5 571-665703 Tyco Standard Circular Connectors SOLDER PIN
    6 546-1550Z107BK Hammond Enclosures, Boxes, & Cases 4.94 x 3.165 x 1.606
    633-M2042SS1G01-RO NKK Toggle Switches 4PDT ON-NONE-ON

The enclosure was about $20, and while I could have made a box this one has a nice rubber o-ring seal and good paint and it seemed likely to be hundreds of dollars cheaper than whatever I made.

The AMP plugs match the ones used by Centroid.

Total cost was under $100. If I had to do it over again I'd order crimp terminals and the tools to install them as I found electronics soldering is not one of my strong skills. I got it done, but it was a frustrating afternoon.

cheers,
    Michael
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails splitterbox03.jpg  

Thanks for the PM Advice. Finally got mine all put together. Since I knew i was not going to have probe wire plugged in all the time i also added a cap to that plug to keep moisture out. Also found some little rubber boots that protect the switches from moisture also.

Overall a fun little project that will save me a lot of headache running back and forth to rear of machine.

Nice job! The engraving makes it look like a "real" part, doesn't it?

cheers,
    Michael