586,075 active members*
3,870 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Vacuum Table Question

I am trying to build a vacuum table. I have the grid cut out and will be using an adhesive type gasket around the outside, but what I am trying to decide is how to finish up the project. On the left is one way where I would connect the lines up to where the vacuum hose would enter. On the right is hollowing out the entire area (both top and bottom) which I would think it would give more air flow. Again, after I cut these areas out, I would put a top on it to seal the air flow.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Anthony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Vacuum table upload 2.jpg  

check out my instructable of a small vaccum table for my cnc machine.

Vacuum Table for Mini CNC Milling Machine

Hopefully this can help with yours

Cheers,
    A machine is only as accurate as the tools used to build it. "CNC = Computer Numeric Control - or on some days - CNC = Can Not Control" Imagineering

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinXCV View Post
    check out my instructable of a small vaccum table for my cnc machine.
    A little more than what I was looking for. I just want to put a sheet of MDF on top of the grid I already made and have the air travel through all of the channels. Just don't know what I should do about the top. Either use lines from each of the channels to lead to the vacuum or cut a "cave" or a large section out (triangle) that would have the vacuum on it.

Anyone ever do this?

Maybe use some peg board? will save time with not needing to drill the holes yourself.
    A machine is only as accurate as the tools used to build it. "CNC = Computer Numeric Control - or on some days - CNC = Can Not Control" Imagineering

Quote Originally Posted by AssassinXCV View Post
    Maybe use some peg board? will save time with not needing to drill the holes yourself.
    Well actually you use MDF... Just take a skin off the top, flip it over and do it again. Seal the MDF to the vacuum table with a gasket all the way around and then secure them both down on the machine. Turn your vac on and away you go.

Guess i'll have to do some research on vacuum tables, never heard of that trick; i'm guessing that mdf lets air pass through it's fibres.

Ideally, you'd want to draw from the center of the table, with the diameter of the port the same as you're vacuum line. When pulling from one end, you'll have more vacuum at that end, due to leakage.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    Ideally, you'd want to draw from the center of the table, with the diameter of the port the same as you're vacuum line. When pulling from one end, you'll have more vacuum at that end, due to leakage.
    Dead on with that reply, however I have a Camaster Stinger (2'X3' table) and don't have room for it. That is the only reason I am going from the end.

@assassin- That is correct, the air will flow through the MDF. If you use a peg board, too much of the air is lost and the suction down onto the table will not be that strong.

what sort of vacuum pump are you going to use for this table?

Hey Guys;
    I've built a vacuum table for my router and my top (spoil board) layer was not MDF but LDF or low density fiberboard. Works great but I'm about due to replace it. My problem is that I cannot find a vendor and I don't remember where I purchased it. Can anyone help???
    Bill
    billyjack
    Helicopter def. = Bunch of spare parts flying in close formation! USAF 1974 ;>)

due to the fact the table is so small, all I am going to use is a 5 horsepower shop vac

Seal edges of MDF

To make your setup work better, seal the edges of the MDF very well. Any high solids paint or varnish should do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by zool View Post
    To make your setup work better, seal the edges of the MDF very well. Any high solids paint or varnish should do the job.
    NICE!!! Didn't even think about doing that... Thanks

I use a 2'x4' vacuum table on my machine, i made it from 1" HDPE and routered out a grid pattern that my gasket material goes in.

I had no luck using a shopvac as a good hold down, and it sounds like you want to use a vacuum table along with a bleed through spoil board, I doubt you will have enough vacuum pressure to hold your work.

I use 3 thompson vacuum pumps in parallel and have 6 zones. With all 3 pumps (3hp each) I get about 15"HG and about 15cfm, if I have no leaks i can pull around 22" HG. I only use well sealed gasketed spoil boards or no spoil board on parts i dont cut through, I wouldnt be able to use a bleed through spoil board as I dont have enough CFM.

Also, your shopvac may say 5HP but if it plugs into a regular 15A plug its probably only 1-2HP.

good luck with your vacuum build!