586,110 active members*
3,343 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > Servo Motors / Drives > Matching an AC servo to a Driver

Matching an AC servo to a Driver

What specifically do I need to look at? The more I read on AC and BLDC servo's and drives it seems that matching the drive and servo is a very tricky process. Is this the case? Or can someone give me a simple roadmap on what to look for if I was trying to match an AC Servo motor (any brand) to an AC drive (again any brand). Also, I plan on using either EMC or Mach3 to run the machine (probably EMC) so what else should I take into account based on that?

Apart from the correct drive voltage, you need to know the type of commutation system the motor has and what the drive will accept.
    This is for motor/drive, you then need to match the drive command signal method based on what the controller, Mach or CNC is capable of, step/dir, analogue etc.
    Decide on the controller first, and then go from there.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

AL hit the highlights. I would just add that, if you do mix and match, you should ask the drive mfgr you pick if the exact part number motor you picked will work with their drive as insurance (keep copy of answer) or assurance.

Thanks for the replies. I must admit that I am very weak in this subject area (probably among many). Unfortunately Google really has let me down in terms of trying to find the different commutation types for AC motors. I have found a bit of information on Sinusoidal and trapezoidal has been mentioned (but I don't know anything about it) are there other types I should be aware of?

AC and BLDC are virtually identical motors with 3 stator windings and a PM rotor, the BLDC uses 3 tracks on the encoder for commutation, previously called Hall effect because of the sensor used.
    AC sinusoidal uses a few methods from encoder itself to resolver type feedback, these are generally the hardest to mix and match.
    BLDC are usually the easiest of the two because the commutation method is fairly standard.
    Al.

Albert E.

Is there something specific in the data sheets to look for or is it a case of looking at the drive and the motor and then calling the drive manufacturer to see if it will work?

You either select a matched motor and drive or if you come across a motor that fits the application, then you need to look up drive specs or contact the drive manufacturers.
    If you have limited experience in doing it then it may be best to go with the first option.
    Al.

Albert E.

That is what I more or less suspected (feared), that it would probably be best to go with a matched motor/drive system. Thanks Al

It is suggested to use the original brand and model.
    Regards.
    www.gskcnc.cn

Quote Originally Posted by canwong View Post
    It is suggested to use the original brand and model.
    It sounds like there is no 'Original Brand', the OP mentions designing around EMC or Mach!!
    Al.

Albert E.

Mixing and matching drives and motors can be a minefield but choosing a flexible drive with plenty of support is the key. We bought a crate of Yaskawa AC motors at a knock down price but could not get any info on the digital encoder they use. We also bought a number of Emerson (Control Techniques) Uni Drives and their info and support is good. By changing the encoder to suit the drive we have them working. It took some experimenting to find out exactly what encoder was required and the timing of the encoder is critical but can be done. We got good support from our encoder supplier and the price was reasonable £200 approx for 4096 PPR with commutation. Let me know if you want any more detailed info on our experiences.