586,062 active members*
4,608 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CAM Software > CamBam > Keep settings during re-install.

Keep settings during re-install.

My win xp computer has just thrown the towel and needs reinstalled. How can I pull the settings (mainly templates) from the old CAMBAM installation and get them working in the new?

I've currently got access to the HDD and files through a backup CD but I will lose all the program files when I start the re-install.

Cheers.
    Dougal
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

Hello Dougal

I would buy another hard drive, load XP onto that, then mount the failed drive into the system as a 'slave' drive (or leave as master on another channel) and copy your files etc. to the new drive.

I do not know CAMBAM so do not know how much it uses the registry ..... if not much you may be able to run it from the old drive .... but with two drives you have more options and data security.

Richard

Hi Richard

I'm very good with backups and data security, this windows meltdown (like many before) has caused me to lose nothing, all my files are safe. It's simply how to best bring my old settings back into a new cambam install that I need some guidance with.
    My X2 CNC Brain Build: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61345
    Gecko G250 wiring errors: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68960

dead xp

go with remove current drive. install new drive. get xp back up and running. check mem mobo etc. when sure is all good. install old hdd. and suck it all over

Re cambam; check with 10bulls (cambam forum) there is an update to the .cb file format in latest ver. While there get their recommendations for the pc fix as well.

Paul

Hey Doug. You should just be able to save your templates. But if you need more then try the following. I do this for a few programs and new XP installs.

Save the main CamBam folder to a flash drive or wherever. After the new install is complete. (Install in the exact location as the original and register it). Before deleting it just rename the new folder with something like org in front of the name. Now copy the saved folder to that spot. All registry entries will be in place and the program should run fine. If it does not then just delete the folder and rename the org one back to it's original name.

If it was just a corrupt windows installation, insert your XP disk and boot from it, when asked if you want to install new or repair, click new install, after loading lots of files, you will be told there is already a windows installation on the drive, do you want to repair or replace. Click repair, windows will do a repair install, keeping all your original program links etc.. You will only have to input your CD key.
    GEM