586,076 active members*
3,802 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Electronics > CNC Machine Related Electronics > PICStep V1.1 Hi-Torque Firmware released!

PICStep V1.1 Hi-Torque Firmware released!

Hi guys,

I've updated the firmware to include the suggested hi-torque curves. I've not tested this firmware with a motor as yet, but the calculated curves are correct and should cause no problems.

I'd be interested in hearing the performance difference between the different curves. This hi-torque mode may make the motor run a little hotter, although it may also reduce the heat built up in the LMD's as they aren't switching the load as much with these curves. Also you will only see the hi-torque mode in 1/4 and 1/8 step modes. 1/2 and Full will show no difference.

Thanks to Henrik for the suggestion, and Mr Bean and Santiniuk for the continuous harrasment.

Cheers,
    Alan.

< B-u-m-p >

Quote Originally Posted by Garfield2
    Hi guys,

Thanks to Henrik for the suggestion, and Mr Bean and Santiniuk for the continuous harrasment.

Cheers,
    Alan.

Oh don't bump to hard.... :tired:

It's 04.08am here in the UK and I'm suffering from a mother of all hangover's already......

Sometime today the pic's will be programmed and if I can remember what to do the old cnc will be fired up after a long break.

Will report back on it.

I'm sure you appreciate our constant hounding and support Alan, great work again....

Oh the Mighty Picstep .......

:cheers:

Well the head has cleared thankfully.

After blowing the cobwebs off my kit I programmed the new firmware. 20Mhz version

Not good I'm afraid. Using the exact same setup in Mach2 I couldn't get my motors to move although I do get a quiet wine from the motors as I play with the manual movements.

I dropped the chips out and programmed the 'old' original firmware and hey presto worked fine.I have checked the config bits and these are set correct.

Not what you wanted to hear Alan but you know I make a cracking beta tester !

Had a bit play with the CNC and now remember why I was 'hooked' when building it.

All ready for MKII but this time it's no more skip ratting. I'm spending money

Anyone else tried it ?

Cheers

Nice release.

Quote Originally Posted by santiniuk
    Well the head has cleared thankfully.

After blowing the cobwebs off my kit I programmed the new firmware. 20Mhz version

Not good I'm afraid. Using the exact same setup in Mach2 I couldn't get my motors to move although I do get a quiet wine from the motors as I play with the manual movements.

I dropped the chips out and programmed the 'old' original firmware and hey presto worked fine.I have checked the config bits and these are set correct.

Not what you wanted to hear Alan but you know I make a cracking beta tester !

Had a bit play with the CNC and now remember why I was 'hooked' when building it.

All ready for MKII but this time it's no more skip ratting. I'm spending money

Anyone else tried it ?

Cheers
    I’ve same result the motor not spin. :frown:

Thanks.

Damn! Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Looks like I'm actually gonna have to crack out the hardware and try it myself.

Thanks for trying anyway, I'll try figure out what is wrong today.

Cheers,
    Alan.

No Problem.

How about you call this 'Too many Damn Fosters !' release

Feel free to mail the code to try Alan.

Cheers.

No Problem.

How about you call this 'Too many Damn Fosters !' release

Feel free to mail the code to try Alan.

Cheers.
    Nah it's the "somethings screwy" release because it "sorta" works for me on my hardware. Although I must admit unless I've screwed up royally on the curve calculations I don't like the end resulting motion on the motor. It's very clunky and noisy (like a Full step thump-thump when moving in 1/8mode!), plus I think the steps aren't very uniform. I've shot a bit of video with my camera that I'll post shortly showing the differences.

Maybe the hi-torque curve is motor specific, cause it stinks on my 2.9A Bodine motors.

I'll keep fiddling in case my maths is totally stuffed!

Cheers,
    Alan.

Any update?
    I am about to try and program the PIC over the weekend.
    Should I load the 1.01 firmware that I downloaded awhile ago?

Quote Originally Posted by robe_uk
    Any update?
    I am about to try and program the PIC over the weekend.
    Should I load the 1.01 firmware that I downloaded awhile ago?
    Use the standard, and upgrade to the Hi-Torque if I can get it to work. So far I don't like what I'm seeing. The Standard works very well and many people have tested it extensively. On a new machine it's best to have as little unknowns as possible!

Cheers,
    Alan.