586,308 active members*
3,569 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Question cad cam software

i am very un educated about the different softwares out there and what exactle they do.... I am looking to get some information on any free or demo versians of these softwares on my laptop.... I am looking for a program that will assist in writing g code programs from a drawing.... These would be simple programs for the mill and lathe also i am looking for a program that i can enter the code into and make sure the program is correct

also i understand that some of these are outragouse in price i dont mind paying for the program i just need somekind of g code generator for the mill mainly to get by.... Any recomendations on a cheaper program that will write a program from a drawing and get me what i need without making me go broke? Thank you very mmuch

First step is to create a list of your machines, their capabilities, usual ( normal ) functions you use constantly, functions you may use occasionally, type of parts you make now, and infrequently.

Look at youself, realistically, how well you would "learn" the software, is the software easy to navigate, can it have modules added later to accomodate your growth ( ie. purchase a 3-axis mill and lathe modules, and find out it can do 4 axis positioning, but not true 4 ( or 5 ) axis machining.

Use the list as a check / rating sheet and to compare the different software

Is there local on-call support ( reseller or a local user group, school etc ) to ask the harder questions. Visit a business that uses CAD-CAM and see it in action and put the questions to the user ( not the owner )

get demos ( these will be timed ) from the resellers, should be of no cost, they need to make the sale, be picky, you could end up with a good deal. Get the deal in writing and itemise all costs, including any "maintenance", full working and customised posts to your specs, also ask them to set it up, and for 1 on 1 training on usage. If all your needs are written and answered before placing an order, and if not fully supplied, you have grounds to return their product for a full refund. Say you agreed for A,B,C & D on the order, but they only completed A,B,& C and can't get D going right, you say "cancel the order" and hand it all back.

PS Do NOT pay all up front, unless you can help it, keep some sort of "ace in the hole" for leverage

( HINT on demo softwares ) take an image of the laptop hard drive before any loading and analyzing of software, restore the image so you can then re-load and run the software again for extending the trial periods

there are many systems at the lower price range. I suggest looking at BOBcad, DolphinCAD, Esprit. Others may add to to the, try this one, list.

I'm a Mastercam user, I don't think this would be good for you. same with all the high end systems....huge learning curves, $$$+$$$, etc

well currently i am using master cam and auto cad at school and know how to use them to at least make a part lol but i am looking for something to aid me in time management at work writing programs but work does not want to pay for a high end program like mastercam... So i am familiar with drawing on the programs but not familiar with all the programs and what they can do for me.... I just want to be able to draw a part for a three axes mill and be able to get a rough program that i can edit and throw into my mill and go

I have a free AutoCAD macro that exports g-code from within AutoCAD.
    The CNC Woodworker
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Quote Originally Posted by ger21 View Post
    I have a free AutoCAD macro that exports g-code from within AutoCAD.
    The CNC Woodworker
    We used AutoCad LT here for years. It's a cheap seat to read drawing files.

Autodesk Autocad LT 2011: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

Or Solidworks is offering this.

Free CAD software * for your DWG files: DraftSight - Dassault Systèmes

John

ViaCAD $99 available here 2D / 3D Cad Design and Drafting Software, CAD CAM Software for Mac and Windows | PunchCAD and CamBam $149 here CamBam CNC Software

You'll do great work with this combo - just take the time to learn it a bit.

Martin.

Im using camduct solftware and send info to the CNC machine through Burny2.5 and im havinng problem connecting my PC to Burny DNC2.5... Can you give me a COMMUNICATIONS TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDE.. Im connecting it though RS232 devices..

common problem..
    1. local loopback test failure
    2. Parity error
    3. Framing error

there are many systems at the lower price range. I suggest looking at BOBcad, DolphinCAD, Esprit. Others may add to to the, try this one, list.
    How did Esprit get in that list? It's hardly in the "lower price range." It's the most expensive piece of software we have ever purchased!
    (Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

for simple programs for a mill there is no need to buy a cad cam software.
    you can use any CAD software and get the points and pretty much export them to a spread sheet or text file, then insert your g code.

lets say you want to offset to tool and not use tool comp. just off set the lines you drawn the amount of the rad of the tool.
    for different tools you use different layers

Its really simple.
    a cad cam software is only really needed for those who have absolutely NO idea what they are doing, or those who have complexd parts with lots of lines.
    machines have tons of build in programs that will run most anything that is Not complicated or that is simple.

I really like CamBam. It is a CAD/CAM program that makes it really easy to draw and create G-Code files all on the same page.

It either has 40 or 80 free trials and then reverts back to a maximum of 500 lines of G-Code until you decide to purchase a full version. And, it is very reasonable and has great support. You can do a lot of work with just the 500 lines of code so if you are doing small projects you would not even need to purchase the package after your trial numbers run out.

CamBam CNC Software

Download and give it a try.

George

Tried the download

CamBam comes with 40 free trials so I though what the heck. Download it, watch a tutorial and work along with it in my spare time about an hour an evening.

Well 1 free trial is just opening the program on your computer. It took me 2 evenings to find out to rotate in all axes you must hold down the Alt Key and move the cursor to do so. I am impressed with what the lessons show, but for a non user that dabbled with Auto Cad 10 a lot has changed and 20 years have gone by since.

I figure I will not even get to post anything over 500 lines with the free trial. The demo's go fast and assume the learner knows more than nothing.

Still from my perpective it looks easy to use.

Ark1.