586,655 active members*
3,457 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Novakon > Novakon 6000 RPM spindle: Run at 9000 ??

Novakon 6000 RPM spindle: Run at 9000 ??

I do alot of cutting in 6061 with .125" endmills, so I desire more RPMs to speed things up. The 6000 rpm motor drives the spindle via 1:1 pulleys. It is trivial to replace one of the pulleys to get a 1.5:1 - which'll drive the spindle at 9000 RPM, instead of the usual 6k. So trivial, in fact, I've done it already. I ran it at 9k for about 2 minutes, but the lower bearing seemed to be heating up at too-fast a rate, so I called it quits on the test until I install another USB temperature monitor on the bottom of the spindle. The top remained cool.

I've recently snugged up the spindle preload and got the runout down to an OK-but-not-great .0004" or so.

Anyone have any insight on running a 6k spindle at 9k?? Is it going to fling away the grease? I can understand cooking the bearings through overtemperature, but I can keep an eye on that with the USB thermometers. Any help appreciated.

its probably a bad idea in the long term. the spindle uses roller bearings, which typically dont like high speed.

if you pulled the lower bearing and replaced it with a decent quality AC bearing, it might hold up much better at that speed.

youll also need to make sure you have a good belt and balanced pulleys or youll find the BELT heating up and failing. the smaller the pulley on the spindle shaft the better.

Quote Originally Posted by ihavenofish View Post
    its probably a bad idea in the long term. the spindle uses roller bearings, which typically dont like high speed.

if you pulled the lower bearing and replaced it with a decent quality AC bearing, it might hold up much better at that speed.

youll also need to make sure you have a good belt and balanced pulleys or youll find the BELT heating up and failing. the smaller the pulley on the spindle shaft the better.
    Aye, I think I'll put the 9K rpm on hold for a bit; I have a spare spindle which I might try to rebuild with better bearings.

Also still struggling with runout - at the tip of the tool it can be up to .001". Which is not good when trying to run a 2-flute at a chipload of .001" per tooth. I'm considering an on-the-mill R8 spindle grinding operation....

Quote Originally Posted by Frogblender View Post
    Aye, I think I'll put the 9K rpm on hold for a bit; I have a spare spindle which I might try to rebuild with better bearings.

Also still struggling with runout - at the tip of the tool it can be up to .001". Which is not good when trying to run a 2-flute at a chipload of .001" per tooth. I'm considering an on-the-mill R8 spindle grinding operation....
    the runout on my nm145 spindle is unmeasurable.

the runout on my COLLETS, well thats a different subject

so make sure you figure out what the actual source of runout is or youll be chasing your tail.

cheap r8 collets and ER chucks/collets can be terrible and often have burrs. also any dirt on the collet or taper can throw out a long tool by a large amount.