586,113 active members*
3,169 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Dyna Mechtronics > NEED HELP!!!! DYNA MECHATRONICS DM4400: stepper errors

View Poll Results: What have I to do in order to solve the problem?

Voters
3. You may not vote on this poll
  • Repair the machine by myself

3 100.00%
  • Get your precious support

0 0%
  • Call someone else to repair it

0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Talking NEED HELP!!!! DYNA MECHATRONICS DM4400: stepper errors

The first problem:
    - the y axis doesn't work correctly. During the working cycle the program stops giving the message: stuck y

I've made these controls:
    - I've swapped the stepper between the x and y axis
    - I've swapped the motor/encoder between the x and y axis
    - I've disconnected (only from a mechanical point of view) the y motor/encoder from the machine in order to verify if it is a mechanical problem
    - the stop happens always when the y axis runs towards the rear of the machine
    - the stop happens during the cycle: sometimes the machine makes 1, 2, 3 operations on the y axis and then stops
    - the display on the APU unit during the stop makes a bad signalling on the LED 8, lighting in sequence 1 bar after each other representing a zero character
    - I've made the test cycle checking
    - checksum: A and B are ok. C: I've not found the EPROM with the reference value on the APU board
    - motor check: ok
    - initialization: ok (in the working condition and also after x and z driver disconnect)

Now the spindle, after some working hours, doesn’t stop and the machine seems to be in a waiting condition: in this case it’s necessary to power-off the machine. At the subsequent power-on and initialization the spindle doesn’t stop and we have to wait for the next day: it seems like an overheating of some component inside.

I’ve also analyzed (with a Tk oscilloscope) wave forms on the
    - ext reset
    - write
    pin of y stepper. During the analysis I noticed that the “stuck y” error disappears: otherwise, changing the working program, the x and y steppers goes in error. The same result has been obtained connecting the “write” pin with the “GND” pin of the y stepper with a 1Mohm resistor.

In my opinion the cause of problems may reside into the

APU pn. DM 4X00 REV.3

Board.

Is there someone how is able to help me in repairing my machine?

Is there someone how owns an APU card to sell me?

Thank you very much for helping.

Giorgio Landi – Milan – Italy

:cheers::cheers:

I do know in my experiences with my 2 Dynas, the limit switch being dirty always caused the stuck axis error. Disassemble the limit switch, clean it all out and reassemble. The other problems I dont know about. Where is 2ferrous?

Hi Fastest1,
    thank you for your suggest: I'll try it as soon.

What do you mean for 2ferrous?

2ferrous is a member here, I believe he has a 4400 and has been running them for a few years. He did change his username at 1 time.

Great!!!

Thank you Fastest1: comparing your speed in answering to me, your name is slow!!!!!

Good to be fastest at something!

I'm here! Yea!

And have 2 DM4400's
    Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, Bridgeport Discovery 300, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS VF-2D
    BobCad 16, 20, 24 and now V25

There is a way lube line that runs under the table to the carriage from the back of the machine through the column. Its spiral wrapped around the Y axis ball screw and because of its age, its most likely broken and leaking waylube into the trough under the covers. So that means no lube to the Y or X axis. The Y axis usually gets stuck first.
    To check this line you have to remove the angled way cover attached to the back of the carriage and then a number of other covers and at least one oil line fitting. Its a pain in the arse. I put an old towel over the table so I could lean on it with out getting covered in coolant.

Timothy
    Dyna Mechtronics DM4400, Bridgeport Discovery 300, HAAS VF-0E, HAAS VF-2D
    BobCad 16, 20, 24 and now V25

Hi 2ferrous, nice to meet you

Hi 2ferrous,
    I see that you have a deep knowledge of Dyne 4400 milling machine. Thank you for the answer and I'll check the way lube to the Y axes.
    In any case, I'll tell you how my machine runs:
    1) if you mill moving only along the Y axis the machine runs correctly
    2) if you mill moving along X and Y axis the machine stops giving the message "stuck y" always at the same program step.
    3) if you drill the problem is less evident

Do you know if there are lube sensors for the axis?

I've substituted all integrated circuits on the APU BOARD but the problem is always the same.

Thank you a lot for the help and I regret to have seen your answer only now.

Axis stuck

Hi TTL GS
    Do you continue with the same problem?
    I have just had the same problem and I solve it.
    The problem starts with the axis X stuck, and sometimes the Dyna doesn't initialize.
    The problem is the power supply, you have more consumption and the power supply fails. You can change the tolerance of the power supply Lamba LFS 48.
    If you need more information, please contact.

Wink X stuck HELPING

Hi JoseGarrido,
    thank you very much for helping me.
    I tried to find out how to chenge the tolerance but I've not been able to find the trim inside power supply. Can you kindly give me some more information?

Tank you and have a nice Christmas and a best wishes for 2012.

Giorgio Landi

Power supply Lamda LFS

Hi TTS GL,
    Tomorrow I will send the picture where you can change the ampere.
    But its a potentiometer similar that the you uses to change the voltage 48-52V, that is sealed by white silicon in the middle of the power supply. You have to turn it clockwise, be carefull because its regulated to not burn the stepper boards, you have to make trials, you turn it a little bit and probe, until the machine will work fine. But if your problem is only when the dyna is running maybe in the first trial you solve the problem, in my case I have to do 3 trials because the machine sometimes doesn´t initialized.
    By other hand, where did you find the Apu board?, because I had to buy it in Canada, I couldn´t find it in Europe. I bought it for this problem and also 2 stepper boards, and now I know that were fine.

photo

I attach the pic, I hope that you can see it, but to do a good phota I have to remove the power supplies.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseGarrido View Post
    Hi TTS GL,
    Tomorrow I will send the picture where you can change the ampere.
    But its a potentiometer similar that the you uses to change the voltage 48-52V, that is sealed by white silicon in the middle of the power supply. You have to turn it clockwise, be carefull because its regulated to not burn the stepper boards, you have to make trials, you turn it a little bit and probe, until the machine will work fine. But if your problem is only when the dyna is running maybe in the first trial you solve the problem, in my case I have to do 3 trials because the machine sometimes doesn´t initialized.
    By other hand, where did you find the Apu board?, because I had to buy it in Canada, I couldn´t find it in Europe. I bought it for this problem and also 2 stepper boards, and now I know that were fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails power supply.jpg  

Wink Hi JoseGarrido, thank you for the informations

Hi JoseGarrido,
    if you could send me a picture of the trim I've to tune it would great!!!!

I've not found a new APU board: I've substituted all active components (IC's) dealing with data program management: it doesn't change the board error. Now, with your informations, probably I'll be able to fix the problem.

Thank you very much: CNCZONE is great!!!!

Giorgio

Quote Originally Posted by 2ferrous View Post
    There is a way lube line that runs under the table to the carriage from the back of the machine through the column. Its spiral wrapped around the Y axis ball screw and because of its age, its most likely broken and leaking waylube into the trough under the covers. So that means no lube to the Y or X axis. The Y axis usually gets stuck first.
    To check this line you have to remove the angled way cover attached to the back of the carriage and then a number of other covers and at least one oil line fitting. Its a pain in the arse. I put an old towel over the table so I could lean on it with out getting covered in coolant.

Timothy
    Tim, I just discovered that this coiled oil line to my y-axis is broken off and missing. I see the brass fitting where it used to connect to the moving table. Problem is that I don't see where it used to connect to the column. I just posted a new thread on this, that has a photo of my machine under the angled chip cover: http://www.cnczone.com/forums/dyna_m..._autolube.html

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!