586,103 active members*
3,726 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

anyone use a touch screen?

Does anyone use a touch screen with Mach2/3? I am considering buying one for my mill but don't know how well it would work (want to eliminate mouse).
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

I have not used Mach2/3, but have installed touch screens on some of the PC based controls, both CRT & LCD, that I have used, and so far have worked out great for eliminating the problems with having to use a mouse, I have also seen several used on other manuf. CNC machines.
    The only problem is if you have a small screen where the target is small or close together.
    But they eliminate physical buttons, or keep them to a minimum.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Man that would be sweet with using Mach.

I just found something you mount on your monitor for $25 on ebay, do these work?
    If you try to make everything idiot proof, someone will just breed a better idiot!

Got a link?

There are a few guys on the Mach2 Yahoo group that use them.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

The one make I have had the best results with and the support is great, is ELO.
    Regarding the link, the interfaces come in either USB or RS232, something to watch.
    Al.

Albert E.

I use a touch screen with Mach 2 on my router. It does make it fast to do things. You still need to type in numbers once in a while.
    Thanks

Jeff Davis (HomeCNC)
    http://www.homecnc.info

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

I would be wary of using that on a LCD screen as a 'normal' resistive or capacitive touch screen that goes in front of the LCD/CRT provides a hard protection between user and screen.
    Al.

Albert E.

Forgive me, I don't understand Al, please explain.

One thing I just thought about, what if a fly lands on your screen? I'd hate to be changing tools and have a bug turn the spindle on!

Quote Originally Posted by jderou
    Forgive me, I don't understand Al, please explain.
    One thing I just thought about, what if a fly lands on your screen? I'd hate to be changing tools and have a bug turn the spindle on!
    Thats why you'd need a Bug screen :idea:

It looks like the item shown differs from the normal way it is done by ELO and others, these manufacturers use a clear hard plastic screen that has two layers with either invisible electrodes or a resistive grid of extremely fine wires embedded, there is a connector at the screen edge that connects to
    an interface that plugs into the serial port. This type is also used in restaurants etc where they get probabally the highest use of any touch screen, These usually suffer the worst over time due to the screen getting constantly tapped with credit card edges which over a period starts to cut into the hard plastic, I have usually salvaged these for the serial interface once they are shot.
    The one in the link appears to just be a scanning device mounted to the top of the monitor.
    Al.

Albert E.

I do have one from ELO.
    It came from a defect 15 inch screen what was used in a bar to play mp3 music in a kind of jukebox. I removed it. And fitted again in a secound hand 15 inch LCD screen. It exist out 1 layer of harded glass. And if you hold it against to sun, you can see the thin wires on the backside.
    It works perfect. There is a settings programm available. In witch you can change the sensivity of touching.
    And I can still use the mouse.

And if you have problems with fly's, just change the settings. Or put the dustbin anywhere else.