586,111 active members*
3,413 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Advice on 2 x 4 purchase

I will be purchasing a tabletop 2' x 4' 4 axis cnc machine to produce turned wood table lamps and other flat wood products. I will need to be able to turn pieces up to 8" diameter. I've been hand turning and building them for many years, but I have the opportunity to do a batch of a hundred or more, and it may well be the time to bring CNC into my shop.Cost is a consideration, but I don't want to go with a machine that I might outgrow. I have limited shop space, so a 2x4 is probably the biggest machine I can fit.
    So far, Blurry Customs is at the top of my list since it appears to be the most solid with the features that I need. I'd probably have to buy it with a router spindle, and upgrade the spindle (probably with ATC) down the road as finances permit. I can anticipate that ATC would be very useful, but I don't think I can afford it right now.
    The Probotix Meteor also seems to be good, but I worry what I might be losing trying to save a few bucks. The twin drive X axis will allow the 4th axis to mount beneath the table for bigger turnings. Their 4th axis is considerably cheaper than the one from Blurry Customs, but I have no way to compare the two. Also, since the Probotix uses Linux to run the machine, would it limit the choices of software for it? I don't see the option of running V-Carve or Aspire on it. What is the 4th axis like?
    The third option is purchasing a kit. From what I can see, the machine from CNC Router Parts looks like it could be a decent machine, with the option of a 12" Z axis for big turnings. I'm a decent mechanic, but have no experience with electronics. And I have no idea what their 4th axis is like.
    I have little practical knowledge of CNC, although I design my work in 3-D on a Mac.
    Advice on Acme vs ballscrew vs R&P would be helpful. Also more education on types of 4th axis work would be greatly appreciated.
    I'll appreciate any guidance given here.
    Jim Eddy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elyria-Cherry-BEM-Veneer.jpg   Brove-Hill-Cherry.jpg  

The CAMaster stinger is well worth a look in this category

Stinger I CNC Router

machine forum

CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC
    James McGrew CAMaster 508 ATC
    www.mcgrewwoodwork.com http://dropc.am/p/EJaKyl

I just received a quote from CAMaster. I would have to go to the Stinger II in order to have enough turning radius in the 4th axis.
    The problem is that it's not possible to directly compare units. At the moment, the Blurry Customs machine is at the top of my list. The reasons, as I see them, are:
    20mm ball screws on all axes instead of R&P.
    True 4 tool changer on a spindle, rather than the X3 system with a spindle and 2 2-1/4hp routers.
    There's a $1000 difference between CAMaster's 4th axis to Blurry Customs', but I have no idea how they compare.
    All in all, there's a sharp price increase going with the Stinger. I wish I knew what the differences were between them. There's "bang for the buck" and "you get what you pay for" going on here, but it's hard to know which applies where.

Always best to go see machines in action,, te ballscrew to R&P is a non issue at this level the accuracy is the same. do lots of home work and go see machines !! there is a reason CAMaster has thousands of machines in the market and a forum with 35-60 owners on it at most any time of the day, at the Aspire camp I understand we may see the blurry toolchanger and a new rotary machine as well

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    Always best to go see machines in action,, te ballscrew to R&P is a non issue at this level the accuracy is the same. do lots of home work and go see machines !! there is a reason CAMaster has thousands of machines in the market and a forum with 35-60 owners on it at most any time of the day, at the Aspire camp I understand we may see the blurry toolchanger and a new rotary machine as well
    Sorry to have to tell you , but R&P is no where near the accuracy of a ballscrew. R&P is like stone age . Completely misleading post
    XZero cnc

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    Sorry to have to tell you , but R&P is no where near the accuracy of a ballscrew. R&P is like stone age . Completely misleading post
    George, I would be wrong to say that your Machine the XZero should not be in this thread as well, yet to say that my experiences with the five machines I have owned (Both Ballscrew and R&P) are not mine or are inacurrate is a bit of a stretch. you build a good machine I have seen one and for what it is I was reasonably Impressed. on the issue of ballscrews and R&P and the flat table router if there is 1/2 of 1000th a positional difference maybe, maybe not, but to say that My personal experience is not mine ? Again at this level of machine like I said it is a non issue for me and obviously a lot of others or the R&P machines would not be out selling the Ballscrews say 50-100 to 1 in the market.

here is a good thread on CAMheads written by Gary Campbell who is reasonably respected for his Machine build and operator experiences. it is a good read for anyone wanting to get into cnc and understand accuracy of a flat table router.. Now if it is a MILL you want then that is another matter.

How Can I Tell if One Machine is More Accurate than Another?
    How Can I Tell if One Machine is More Accurate than Another? - CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC

Quote Originally Posted by gio666 View Post
    Is that why Biesse uses R&P on some of their CNC's

Thanks Jim & George,
    Interesting reading.
    At this point I'm narrowed down to CAMaster Stinger II and Blurry Customs. The CAMaster is almost 50% higher for equivalent functions. In fact, the CAMaster would be less capable in the tool change aspect (X3 vs 4 tool Auto spindle).
    So it comes down to comparing the long term quality of the machines vs. price point. As you say, George, CAMaster has a large and accessible user base. There's not as much information on Blurry Customs. Alex Burt with BC has been very attentive and patient explaining the machine to me, and says he'll send some user contacts.
    If I could take the time and money to go visit machines in the field, that would be the best way to go. Not likely to happen, though.
    Jim

It has been well discussed that Blurry will be providing the new AT unit for camaster on a soon to be released machine !!
    there are stingers and CAMasters all over the world, there is a map on the forum and Owners there are well willing to show machines

Quote Originally Posted by cabnet636 View Post
    George, I would be wrong to say that your Machine the XZero should not be in this thread as well, yet to say that my experiences with the five machines I have owned (Both Ballscrew and R&P) are not mine or are inacurrate is a bit of a stretch. you build a good machine I have seen one and for what it is I was reasonably Impressed. on the issue of ballscrews and R&P and the flat table router if there is 1/2 of 1000th a positional difference maybe, maybe not, but to say that My personal experience is not mine ? Again at this level of machine like I said it is a non issue for me and obviously a lot of others or the R&P machines would not be out selling the Ballscrews say 50-100 to 1 in the market.

here is a good thread on CAMheads written by Gary Campbell who is reasonably respected for his Machine build and operator experiences. it is a good read for anyone wanting to get into cnc and understand accuracy of a flat table router.. Now if it is a MILL you want then that is another matter.

How Can I Tell if One Machine is More Accurate than Another?
    How Can I Tell if One Machine is More Accurate than Another? - CAMheads CNC Router Forum By: CAMaster CNC
    I didn't post about having my machines on here. I deal with linear products everyday ,that's my job and also with my machines , and I do know the difference.
    if R&P was high precision they would not have to make helical R&P, or nexus roller pinion or ballscrews.
    On a machine that might be ok, im just saying both R&P and ballscrews there not even a comparison .
    R&P is $250 for 6000mm and 2 pinions , One 1500mm 25mm ballscrews is $500 for a good one.
    I would use R&P IF they would do what I need them to do, could save a lot of money on machines.
    .Large machines with ballscrews are a lot of money to make , larger the machine the bigger the ballscrew.
    You telling me about linear , is like me tell you about wood
    XZero cnc

Re: Advice on 2 x 4 purchase

Not to hi jack your thread.... I too have spoken with Burt. He is working up the details for a router system I would like to purchase.
    My plans are to drive to his facility and look at their demo unit. My best guess is at the end of April may work out as the best
    time. I will update as the project progress. Ball screws,HiWin Linear profiled rails, VFD controlled spindle, Tool changer....
    Man I am getting excited. If anyone has feed back on their latest products it would be appreciated.
    Thanks