586,437 active members*
4,037 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Smile Anyone own a Metex DM45?

I there all,

I'm in the market for a milling machine with a table size 800 x 240 or there abouts. So looking at all the ######hm/dm 45's

Looked at the Metex DM45 by redfox machinery and like what I see. I just want to hear from others that have this machine (or other machines of size for that matter) to see if they are happy with it.

Cheers,

Simon

In that size, value for money - I think they're hard to pass up.
    Quality... well... you're getting what you pay for.

I got mine from Titan.

Be prepared for a few rough corners, and that it is intended to be a manual machine.

I'm in it for the learning experience. For me, if I had my time again... I'd buy the same machine, from the same supplier.

I'm also looking at the DM45 from redfoxmachnery and the HM4x's from Hare & Forbes, and while the DM45 looks a tidy unit from the photos, (yet to see one up close), there's remarkably little info or reviews on the web?

Is this a little sold item?

Did you end up getting one Simon and are both of you guy's still happy with it?

Cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

You might also consider the DM45 from Standaco

I think the only difference in these DM45s, apart from the name, is the colour.
    Regards
    Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by tumutbound View Post
    You might also consider the DM45 from Standaco

I think the only difference in these DM45s, apart from the name, is the colour.
    I have done a search for manufacturers/suppliers in China and looked at literally hundreds. I have come to the conclusion that there are about half a dozen or so manufacturers and the rest simply supply one of the 6 or so brands and re-badge as required.

So I reckon you are probably correct tumutbound.

Simon

I've spent some time looking into the various DM/HM 45/46's around further, and among other places, went to Redfox in Springvale but they don't have any 45's coming till around the end of this month. I also checked out Applied Machinery in Dandenong to see their Optimum MD46 and dealt with a guy there, Naag, who was extremely helpful and quite knowledgable. I must admit I am now looking at the V1000 there, as it is only a little more than the Metex/Optimum DM/HM45/46 model, but is quite a step up and is more like the Hare and Forbes HM48/52. Full DRO, lots of weight but not too much for a small workshop, large table, very solid construction. Quite amazing it's not much more at all for so much more machine! Actually, looking at the brochure now, once you take the accessories into account, it's actually considerably cheaper than the 46 they have. Just a pain they won't have stock till January.

Here's the model I'm talking about anyway:
    MACHTECH V1000

I fully agree that starting looking at these units is like opening a can of worms, and the various models are pretty much the same, one thing I have noticed though, is that the layout, some of the components, and particularly the finishing can vary greatly. I saw one DM45 model and the Optimum one looked a much "neater" machine overall. And having seen the quality of the casting underneath my cnc table, I tend to look at the casting and general build and finsihing to help judge the quality. Along with listening to how well, or not, it runs.

I do like the idea of a 610kg mill though! And it wasn't noisy at all, and at around 1.5kw so it's not a power hungry beast.

cheers,
    Ian
    It's rumoured that everytime someone buys a TB6560 based board, an engineer cries!

Hi Aarggh,

Yes I agree I think in relation to the crowd of milling machines in the 45 range, the Maktec seems to be a step above.

How much is the V1000 going for? Is it mid to high $3K?

It's a nice knee mill I'll say that. If one somehow founds it's way in my shed I wouldn't loose sleep or tell anyone!

Hi Simon,

Apologies for the late response, I thought I had posted a reply but obviously hadn't!

I got a bundle price with some other items including a lathe so it's a bit hard to quantify it on it's own, as they all up came to around 7200, so from memory the mill itself with the accessories and DRO was around the 4300 mark retail, but worked out several hundred cheaper, at least very roughly?

I'm waiting on stock to come in Jan as I think there possibly seems to be a little bit of discrepency between what is advertised, and what may come. For example the weight seems to be listed differently on some sites, and the V1000 coming has fairly beefy metal gears in a larger module for the x axis feed, compared to the ones supplied in general on the VH1000's and similar machines. The table size is listed as from Applied Machinery as 1000 x 240, but i've seen other places listing it as 820 x 240? It is supposed to have a horizontal bore as described in their brochure, but another site I came across some time back indicated only the VH1000 had the horizontal bore.

If you look at this site at the ZX-7550C which seems to match the V1000 spec closest, but doesn't have the horizontal bore:

Industrial Machinery Sales - Toptec ZX7550 Mills

And then check out the Machtec V1000 (which is an Optimum relabelled as Toptec I'm pretty sure) you'll see why I'm confused:

MACHTECH V1000

The VH1000 on the above site is the floor model they have over in Dandenong and does match with what I've seen, so the photo of the V1000 is definately a different machine.

Time will tell, but they've been very helpful which I find is half the battle when trying to work out what to get. So I'm not too fussed right now, but will be seeing them or emailing Naag to get some more specific info, as they didn't really have much as I think it was a new'ish released model?

cheers,
    Ian