586,096 active members*
3,722 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

the three year poof!

My machine has quit after 3 years. I am not complaining but would appreciate some help trouble shooting the problem so I can get the proper parts ordered ASAP.

The 110 outlets are still working on the machine but the green button on the control panel will not turn the machine on. no spindle and no axis control.

I know something fried because I could smell it. The Transformer felt quite warm. None of the fuses look bad.

Any thoughts?

TIA

Quote Originally Posted by howecnc View Post
    My machine has quit after 3 years. I am not complaining but would appreciate some help trouble shooting the problem so I can get the proper parts ordered ASAP.

The 110 outlets are still working on the machine but the green button on the control panel will not turn the machine on. no spindle and no axis control.

I know something fried because I could smell it. The Transformer felt quite warm. None of the fuses look bad.

Any thoughts?

TIA
    Possibly the switch itself, or the main contactor (C2 I think)?

LEDs

Check the LEDs and tell us what's still on.

Anything on the front panel?
    Anything on the PCB?
    there are two types of fuses in there, some are sacrificial fuses and might have burned through. Some fuses are switch-type fuses that might have fallen, check whether all fuse switches are "on".
    what happens if you turn on the main power switch and then press the start button?
    Are you sure the 220V supply is still live? the 110V supply comes from a different source.
    benji.

Do you have an electrical test meter?

Have you looked at the electrical diagram?

Have you checked the troubleshooting documentation?

Hiring a qualified electrician is always worth a thought when you don't have a clue where to start.

Phil

Any thoughts?

TIA

My electrician will be here around lunch time. I will post what we find to see if you guys agree.

Thanks

My electrician just left.
    The first thing we found was that FU3 the .6 amp fuse was blown. This was a Service Bulletin Fuse where the machines were shipping with a 6 amp in FU3 by mistake.

So I happen to have a 6 amp fuse to put in FU3 to do more testing.

The Contactor C1 was pulling in when pressing the Green button on the front panel which gives power to the drives but the contactor C2 was not pulling in which gives power to the VFD.

He pushed the C2 in manually and the VFD turned on.

From there he determined that Wire 107 from the main board was supposed to cause C2 to pull in but there is no power coming from 107.

He believes the main board has an issue.
    He also says that if I push C2 in manually I can use the machine but my concern is that I have a 6 amp fuse where a .6 amp fuse is supposed to be and I could really fry something by trying to run the machine as is.

Thoughts anyone?

I would call tormach on monday. i had similar issues with my machine at the 3 month mark. tormach was very helpful and they diagnosed the problem. i needed a new board.

I am just trying to confirm all I can before Monday. I have to much work right now for the machine to be just sitting. I am going to try and find a .6 amp fuse today and if I can I think I will try to keep using the machine.

So I got a new control board, fuses and fan because it was growling.
    No change.

So I sniffed around the cabinet and determined the burnt electrical smell is
    coming from the door near the Spindle lockout Key switch.

I move wire 105 to the other side with 104 and now manual mode is working.
    The VFD turns on and C2 pulls in when the spindle is activated from the
    start button or commanded from the computer.

Is this the way it is suppose to work?
    Does the VFD only power up after the first time the spindle is commanded?

If my findings are correct I only need to replace the Key switch that I have
    never used in 3 years.

Checked mine, a series 1 with VFD upgrade. Yes the VFD powers up after activating the spindle command for the first time. Thereafter it stays powered up.

How did your electrician miss a faulty switch.

In your first post you said no spindle and no axis control. The key switch should only isolate the motor, not the axis drives. So the problem you reported in your first post is not consistent with a faulty key switch.

Phil

Does the VFD only power up after the first time the spindle is commanded?

The drives weren't working because FU3 .6 amp fuse was blown.
    I am not sure how my guys missed a bad switch.

Thanks