3,756 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 1 of 3 123

Hybrid View

Retrofit on Hurco KM3P

Well the retro has started. The wires are being cut now.:banana:

No turning back.

I will post progress on here as it goes.

If you need any Hurco parts let me know.This machine has a bx control.

It has this board from amts that lets you change the masters and drip feed g-code from a computer:

ACCURATE MACHINE TOOL SVC

Also there is a CMC systems tape emulator board, too.

I am selling everything cheap. Just ask or make offer.

Pics will come soon.

JAckal
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

Cool

You didn't state what you were refitting to.

Do you intend to continue using the Voltec card to control the speed adjusting motor which sets the vari-drive pulley positions for the programmed spindle speed?

Are you going to reuse the existing servo amps?

Just wondering what your end target is.

The servo drives will be Dugong, with Mach3 & CNC4PC boards. The parts have been back-ordered and should be in next week.

Probably for the spindle, a VFD will drive it. Starting out I may just use the fwd/rev contactors & adjust the speed manually.

There should be some pics in a few days.

JAckal
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

Here are some pics of my butchering:

Empty cabinet
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hurco cabinet gutted.JPG 
Views:	143 
Size:	131.2 KB 
ID:	131957

Guts removed carefully didn't pull or rip out any of it.

Name:	Hurco Guts.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	131958

No turning back now!!!!

Looking inside the cabinet, the back plate or whatever it is called, come out rather easy after it is cleaned out.

This will make for a neat & tidy installation for the amps, etc.

Right now it isn't impressive at all. This is just proof that it is started. If I don't post pics as it goes, it will pile up and never get posted.

Stay tuner for more havoc.

JAckal

I've started putting the mother board & PC stuff in the cabinet on the mill.

The computer was completely dismantled and just some of the frame/skeleton, was put in the cabinet to mount the motherboard, power supply, CD drive, hard drives, & fans.

After installing, the computer was booted up with a monitor, mouse, and keyboard connected to make sure I didn't fry anything.

When the cable connectors & bulkhead are in place for exiting the cabinet, there will be more pics.

It's easier for me to post a little at a time, than to let the pics and info pile up.

If it piles up, it may never get put on here.

Name:	PC mounted 1.JPG 
Views:	191 
Size:	40.6 KB 
ID:	133499

Name:	PC mounted 2.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	133500

Here is a swing out plate that Hurco had some of the factory power supply & relays mounted to. None of this was thrown away. The servo drives will be mounted to this plate. Since it is mounted with hinges, a ground wire will connect it to the large ground junction in the bottom of the cabinet. The doors and main casting of the machine go to this ground point. The plate will get cleaned off with sandpaper before the drives are mounted with a heat transfer paste. Hopefully this will gain a little more room and make things somewhat easier to work with.

Name:	Swing out drive plate 1.JPG 
Views:	146 
Size:	45.1 KB 
ID:	133501

Name:	Swing out drive plate 2 .JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	133502

Name:	swing out drive plate 3 .JPG 
Views:	158 
Size:	41.4 KB 
ID:	133503

Here is a small bracket that I made for using the factory power switch & LEDs from the PC.

This may get changed later.

Name:	switch  and light bracket.JPG 
Views:	162 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	133504

There will be more as things progress.

Hope all of you like this.

JAckal

Here is some more info from some other threads here on CNCzone concerning this build.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...ive_these.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/gecko_...ard_g320x.html

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera..._windings.html

Al was a tremendous help on this.

Have any of you noticed the buy me a beer emblem in the upper right corner of someones profile? It is right under the location, join-date, number of posts, etc.

PIC:

Name:	beer.png 
Views:	2 
Size:	4.6 KB 
ID:	133770

We need to start buying these guys a beer for all they help they give.

It is only $5 thru Paypal.

They don't get paid for helping us, and it is worth a lot more than a beer for fixing a machine.

Just something to think about.:cheers:

JAckal:cheers:

hey JAckal,i like what you are doing.very interesting.i'm thinking that this may be the way to go with my machine sometime.
    keep the pics and posts going.
    all the best,adee.

Cool

Just cause we are not asking questions does not mean anyone has lost interest.

I have a KM3P with the MAX32 upgrade with all the bell & whistle software options, so as long as I can keep it working as OEM I will.

On the other hand I am looking for a 2nd KM3 or KM3P which the CPU part of the control has made its final trip south so to speak but the servos and amps are still functional. I want to gut the control computer and spindle controls and convert it to EMC2 with a VFD spindle drive with encoder for rigid tapping and also a 4th axis which is just too much to consider adding to the OEM config.

Another option I am considering is using a monster stepper to drive the knee with glass scale feedback for in position checking. This allows the tooling to be outside the quills 5 inch travel limit. The "W" axis would not be used while in most programs except for when a hole would need to be drilled deeper than 5". Generally it would only move the knee for tool changes.

Based on the other machines I've used EMC2 on I expect the EMC2 converted machine to run circles around the OEM controlled machine in a production mode - but for quick single part jobs I can have the machine cutting using the Ultimax conversational before I would be ready to post G-code.

Likewise having 2 machines with common tooling is also a plus. I have a very nice U200 tooling package I've built up.

Jackal,

I would be very interested in seeing the other pics that you have. I have a Clausing Kondia CNC knee mill from the early 90's that is very similar to your Hurco. It has the rigid head, mounted on a ram.
    It currently has a Dynapath Delta 20 on it. I've owned it for about 6 years. The controller has been getting flaky for the past couple years. So I'm beginning to look into retrofits.
    I'm leaning more towards EMC instead of Mach right now, but haven't definetely decided just yet.

mtechserv

Thanks Guys,

I'll get some pics up.

Mtech,

If you need any parts to limp your machine along let me know and I may have something that will give you a little time before your retrofit.

Skull,

Mine had the bx control, but some of the amps ,etc. may work on yours if you need any parts.

In a few day you will see some more pics.:wave:

you have done a lot of research and have a lot of great information. I am interested in seeing the completed project!

What are you doing about the ACC relay?

efinkg,

Are you talking about on the B_o_B?

If so, I will probably hook up my coolant pump to it, and the smaller relay will open for an add-on later.

Dave,

It would be nice to live closer together, but I wouldn't wish this weather on anyone.

JAckal :cheers:

If you are asking me, the acc. turned on the servo transformer.I gutted out all of the electronics. I am using the acc. contactor to turn on the servo transformer wich powers my gecko 320x's . I also will use it to power the
    PMDX 126.on 220 volts. I am powering the relay from 110 volts at the control panel. When I power the relay, the gecko drive and the bob powers up. Hope this helps you. The acc & the forward spindle relay had a 3UA Thermal delay
    relay on it. I took that off to get the relays to work. Don't know what they were for. Dave

When I trip the ACC relay, my servo motors all decide to drive and ignore the limit switches. Weirdly enough, they're fine if I bypass the ACC relay entirely.

Here are some more pics from Dave.

This is where the PMDX board & Geckos will mount.

Name:	xxhurco1.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	17.7 KB 
ID:	140067

He is making all of his stuff out of wood to see if he like it first. I think the wood looks great. He is doing such a good job that he should keep the wooden cabinet for the controls.

Name:	xxhurco2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	140068

It looks nice and whatever finish he decides will keep the oily finger prints off.

Name:	xxhurco3.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	140069
    From the looks of his handiwork, he may be one of those guys that can put a laminate on it and make everyone jealous.

Name:	xxhurco4.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	140070
    Looking good ,Dave.

Keep up the great work.

JAckal :cheers:

Jackal,

Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. This will be a big help when I decide to do my conversion. I'll be following this thread closely.

thanks
    mtechserv

I have a KM3P that had a Ultimax control. Had one screen go bad then final had a main board go bad, and at $3000 to replace. Definitely makes the decision on a retro. I ended up rewiring the wire harness to the servos. Found out they had a Y-connection in the middle of the harness. Had set it up with Rutex 990s. Didn't like their older drives, so gutted it again and now I think I am going to try Ajax's kit. Shane Martin of martincnc.com might have an interest in the parts from your Hurco.
    Brg, Richard

Thanks for the info Richard.

I'll contact Shane.

Page 1 of 3 123