586,060 active members*
4,521 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 6 of 7 4567
    Dave,

I left the overloads out. They are still with the contactors as they were, when removed.

The back-flow emf capacitors will be installed once the whole thing is running.

I am trying to keep it very simple, until I get the motors running and tuned.

All the axis' will have to work before I even hook up the spindle drive.

For me doing one option at a time works best. Then I can know when something messes up (it was the last thing I did ) (chair)(chair)(nuts)(wedge).

It sure helps me to have another person working on the same thing.

Plus, having efinkg, Al the man, Skullworks, bloke, and many others chime in and give helpful advice and good information helps a bunch.

We sure have gotten a lot of views on this thread. I hope it is helping some others out there, and giving them to confidence to start their retrofit.:cheers:

My wiring is looking like a book/owners manual. Probably too much information, but it would be worse to look back in 2 or 3 years and say
    "What did I do here, and why???"

I have mine in sections:

Drives

Encoders

Power-supply

Power in to the machine

Relays for accessories

etc.

JAckal
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

I haven't ran the spindle since I started the retrofit. No need to yet. Kind a thinking ahead. I have activated the motor relays without 3 phase. I used rg 174 coax to hook up step & direction. Wish I spaced the 320 x's a little farther apart. No room between them for wires.Should have new encoder tomorrow, maybe. I left the 110 volt filter ( big blue box top right in the cabinet. Haven't hooked to anything. Think I will take it out and check it out a little more. I don't like the connectors. If I use it I will put screw down terminals on it. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rothermel View Post
    On the contactors / overloads. I took the overloads off the contactors.
    I didn't know how to hook them up. Curious as what you guys did? Do I need to have them in there? Couldn't turn on the spindle with them inline. I to am making a map of the wiring. I have looked at things that I have done years
    ago, and don't have a clue. I really like everybody's input. Thanks, Dave
    Technically you do not need the O/L's as the VFD performs the overload protection, it does pay to have inline fuses ahead of the contactor, however.
    If you couldn't turn on the spindle with them in, are you sure they were not tripped? As they are essentially a direct connection from contactor to motor.
    measure input to output with a meter, should be zero ohms.
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

I opened up that blue box that I thought was a filter. It is a 120 to 120 volt isolation transformer with two capacitors on the out put. I am getting my 120 volts from the 220 to 120 volt transformer so i don't need another one. Will use it for something else. Dave

Smile

Got the encoders today. Thought they were a bolt on encoder. Not. Had to take the black servo plate off, make a step plug to line up the encoder to drill & tap the 4/40 holes to mount the encoder. Can't get the long screws that hold the back plate back on started. Tomorrow will take the servo motor off so I can get to it. Fingered 20 min. I would be moving the Y. That's what I thought. Going to have Surgery Oct. 7. Need to get things done because I can't lift anything for 3 weeks. My wife will be watching me closely. Want to be where I can do sit down things. Dave

Today I got the back plate bolted down with out taking the servo off. Don't know why it went so easy today. Got the encoder mounted and wired up.
    The Y servo moves ok. Next homed the X,Y, and Z. Every thing homed ok.
    I may move one of the geckos so i can run wires between them. Now to work more on the control Council. Dave

I have been reading about other retrofits. Some of the prices our outrageous.
    I paid $ 169.00 for a PMDX 126. $ 115.00 each for the three Geckos 320xs. One new encoder I think I paid $23.00 because I hooked the voltage backwards. I also bought the encoder 6 ft. cable for less then $ 10.00. That is all I spent so far. I will most likely have$ 50.00 in the control concel. I already had the computer and monitor. I have a big junk-box.The help I got here, Priceless. I still got to learn Machine 3 & Master-Cam. Will be a good winter project. still got a lot to do. won't get much more done till I get home from hospital a week from Saturday. Still will have more questions to ask later. Dave

Red face

Got noise on the X proximity switch. Going to run shielded wire all the way from the switch to the BOB. Right now I have shielded wire from the steal flex wire housing to the BOB. I can see the X light flicker real faintly. Going to do the Y wile I am at it. Z has new shielded wire all the way. Dave

Dave,

It looks like you are way past me now.

That's ok, you can tell me what I'm doing wrong once I get mine running.:banana:

JAckal:wave:
    Everything is bio-degradable, if you run over it enough times with the lawnmower.

Smile

Ha Jack What did you do with the spindel brake? i may operate mine manually for tool change till I find out what I want to do.
    Dave

Dave,

On mine, I am using the air brake solenoid.

It is 110 volt powered.

It has a 24 volt operated relay that is connected to a toggle switch on my main control panel ( monitor area).

When this switch is flipped, a red LED comes on and the brake is engaged.

When the switch is turned off, the LED goes out and the solenoid spits air like the brakes on an 18 wheeler.

How's your machine running?

Jack:wave:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Rothermel View Post
    Ha Jack What did you do with the spindel brake? i may operate mine manually for tool change till I find out what I want to do.
    Dave
    I've been finding 90% of the time the back gear is sufficient for this.

Dave,

Here are some pics of my control panel.

It is kinda dusty from use in the shop.

So far it has ran about 7 paying jobs.:banana:

The first pic shows my large cable ( Umbilical cord). This has all of the wires, shielded cables ,ribbon cables, etc.

There are extra cables & wires for future expansion, testing for broken wires, repairing shorts, etc.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hurco control cable.JPG 
Views:	54 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	150447

This pic shows my indicator lights. The PMDX 126 has external connections for LED's. ( Very simple, no resistors or anything special needed).

The brake switch is also shown. The LED comes on to tell you the brake is engaged.

The "OIL" light comes on every 15 minutes. It stays on for 22 seconds.
    The override button is to lube the machine after it has been sitting, or when you first power it up.

Press the CPU button and the computer comes on ( with blue light), as well as the power to B_o_B light.

After computer boots up, open E-stop switches. The E-stop light goes out & the charge pump light will come on.

Start jogging an axis or (home out the machine), and the step light flickers to show steps are being sent from the B_o_B.

Name:	Hurco panel 1.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	150448

The CPU button that turns on the computer from the control.

The blue light shows power to the CPU. Amber light shows the processor is operating/processing data. Another big E-stop switch.

Name:	Hurco panel 3.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	93.0 KB 
ID:	150449

The pendant. It has some buttons added for Hot-key functions. A few are already programmed.

Name:	Hurco pendant 1.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	72.8 KB 
ID:	150450

Well it doesn't look very good right now, but it is functional.

I have been doing some lettering & engraving. The black magic marker writing is just so that I don't forget what the stuff means.(chair)

Once all of the permanent options ( coolant, air blast, spray mist) are added, I'll engrave a panel for under the monitor with added switches and buttons, and a new panel for the pendant.

Maybe I can get a video going if it.

JAckal :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal66 View Post
    After my machine is running, an extra: Gecko320x, AMT 103 encoder, & a few other spare parts will be bought for emergencies.
    I just looked at the MAT 103 encoder. I may be missiing something, but it looks like it doesn't come witha bushing for 1/2". The Electrocraft motors on my KMB1 have 1/2" shaft out the back. Is there a seperate bushing you can order or something, or are the servos on your machine different?
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Bob,

I'm thinking the shaft on mine is 1/4"?????? I'll look and see.

It is turned down small on the end ( factory done) for the encoder.

Here is a pic of the encoder installed;

Click for larger view:

Name:	Hurco AMT 103 encoder mounted.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	151135

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal66 View Post
    Bob,

I'm thinking the shaft on mine is 1/4"?????? I'll look and see.

It is turned down small on the end ( factory done) for the encoder.

Here is a pic of the encoder installed;

Click for larger view:

Name:	Hurco AMT 103 encoder mounted.JPG 
Views:	45 
Size:	123.2 KB 
ID:	151135

Thank you. I am having a hard time finding an encoder for this application that isn't pretty spendy. I may have to consider making an adaptor and a spacer for mounting instead. Give me some more practice on the lathe. LOL.
    Bob La Londe
    http://www.YumaBassMan.com

Here are some more pics that I got from Dave Rothermel the other day.

This machine belongs to one of Dave's friends . They call it the "Kokomo Hurco mill".

Name:	Kokomo Hurco 1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	20.8 KB 
ID:	159502

Name:	Kokomo Hurco 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	159503

Name:	Kokomo Hurco 3.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	27.2 KB 
ID:	159504

Name:	Kokomo Hurco 4.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	25.2 KB 
ID:	159505

Name:	Kokomo Hurco 5.pg.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	21.7 KB 
ID:	159506

More in the next post.

Here's 2 more pics.

Looks pretty good.

Name:	Kokomo Hurco 6.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	159507

Name:	Kokomo Hurco 7.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	25.7 KB 
ID:	159508

JAckal

Hey just wondered how your two retrofits turned out? I just got the task of helping a friend retro a Hurco at their shop. I'm sure I will have a ton of questions. This will be quite the learning experience for me because I have dealt mostly with CNC routers.

adam

Going back to the power supply transformer set up for the servos, I am using gecko`s so need 80v max, my machine runs on 3 phase UK power, 3x 220v,
    so not sure if my transformers are the same as fitted to the US machines, I have two transformers in the servo supply

from what I can see / guess

first transformer is rated 500VA and labelled

115-12-0-415-400-380-220-0

it has 115v input and 415v output to larger transformer rated 1800VA labelled

60-0-415--400-380-220-0

so the 415 out of the small transformer, feeds the 415 into the larger one, giving me my 60vac, to the rectifier, is the U.S. Hurco the same, would it be possible for me to tap the 400V off the smaller transformer, instead of the 415, and feed that to the 415v on the larger transformer to lower my DC voltage to the servo`s, currently 86.5V

Page 6 of 7 4567