586,116 active members*
3,346 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > CNC Plasma, EDM / Waterjet Machines > CNC Plasma / Oxy Fuel Cutting Machines > Software and GCode Recommendations with Oxy-Fuel CNC

Software and GCode Recommendations with Oxy-Fuel CNC

Until I get the funds for a plasma system I'd like to hook up my oxy-fuel (oxy acetylene currently) torch to my CNC Gantry. The hardware is not so much of a concern as how to alter/configure GCode for use with oxy-fuel as well as any configuration changes that should be made to Mach3.

Currently the machine is set up for cutting wood and plastic with a router. What I really need to know is the tips and tricks in writing any GCode to allow sufficient time for the heating process to take place before cutting with oxy, and any changes to Mach3 that might work well.

I would appreciate any suggestions for electronics devices or additional software that would be useful. Cutting with a plasma torch seems more simple and straight-forward in terms of operation due to it's electronic nature with the ability to stop and start the plasma cutter electronically, monitor voltages, etc. For now I just want to cut some metal with the oxy-fuel torch. Thanks!!!
    He is more machine now than man.....

I reviewed the manual http://www.machsupport.com/docs/Mach...all_Config.pdf
    the only easy way would be to use coolant outputs one and two. both have delays.
    you may have to trick the spindle into thinking it's working but coolant output 1 (Mist) could be preheat and collant two (flood) could be cut oxygen. you would need to be mindfull of the power reqired to open a solinoid for this. Unless of course you have two coolant pumps already on your machine.

Thanks for the reply. I ordered a ModIO serial modbus from Homann Designs. I'm hoping that it will provide some additional IO that can be used with the system. I'll have to purchase some relays of suitable capacity to actuate some solenoids.

As far as GCode. I was thinking there was a "dwell" code. I'll have to go check my GCode list and verify. I wonder if that could be used for preheat.
    He is more machine now than man.....

Quote Originally Posted by cjjonesarmory View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered a ModIO serial modbus from Homann Designs. I'm hoping that it will provide some additional IO that can be used with the system. I'll have to purchase some relays of suitable capacity to actuate some solenoids.

As far as GCode. I was thinking there was a "dwell" code. I'll have to go check my GCode list and verify. I wonder if that could be used for preheat.
    couldn't you use the mist pump out for preheat and the flood pump for cutting? both have programmable dwells. or use one of the flood outputs for preheat and spindle down for cut oxygen and you are the same as two axis routing.

Marv