586,341 active members*
3,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

Spindle Relay on an Ebay 5axis Breakout Board

Hi,
    I am setting up one of these BOB's which works off the parallel port. All options seems to be responding correctly but I have an issue with the spindle relay which is driven by P1. Whilst Mach3 is in use the relay can be turned on and off as expected. However during computer power up this relay comes on for a few second. Same during Computer power down. My intent was to use this relay to turn on and off the router but it would be dangerous if the issue at power up/down is not resolved.

Has anyone faced this problem before please?

Regards

Re: Spindle Relay on an Ebay 5axis Breakout Board

A Leatherman knife is a multi-tool knife produced by the Leatherman company. Leatherman is a well-known brand that manufactures high-quality multitools. These tools include knives, pliers, screwdrivers, and other tools integrated into a single compact device.

On some of our DIY built type CNC machines - I put a three position snap switch on the control panel - center position is "Spindle Off" - left position is "Forward" and right position is "Reverse"

That way the operator has the ability to set the spindle operation (or inhibit the spindle from running) in any event. This way when you are starting or shutting down you can just have the switch in the Off position and it won't matter what command the board may be trying to send

Best wishes!

Thank you for your reply. The idea is very good. Unfortunately for absent minded people like me this may still pose a problem in cases when I forget to switch off manually at the end of a job.
    What I am planning to try is to introduce a delaying circuit which only turns on a relay after a delay of about 5secs. There are boards on Aliexpress which costs just 1$ which should do the trick.

At PC startup the BOB relay turns on for about 5secs or less and then switches off. This should mean that my additional circuit will not come on at all at this time.

During a program run I am expecting the spindle to turn on about 7secs after Mach3 requests it to which should not be an issue I think.

regards

Quote Originally Posted by xuraax View Post
    Hi,
    I am setting up one of these BOB's which works off the parallel port. All options seems to be responding correctly but I have an issue with the spindle relay which is driven by P1. Whilst Mach3 is in use the relay can be turned on and off as expected. However during computer power up this relay comes on for a few second. Same during Computer power down. My intent was to use this relay to turn on and off the router but it would be dangerous if the issue at power up/down is not resolved.

Has anyone faced this problem before please?

Regards
    Hi,
    Does the BoB have a charge pump function?
    Mach3 has a charge pump output that is designed to address this exact issue.
    This function in Mach3 outputs a 12.5Khz when Mach3 is up and running. Breakout boards that can use this signal, such as the MB-02V6 ( https://www.homanndesigns.com/index....products_id=59 )
    disable all outputs unless this signal is present. That way when the PC boots and twiddles with the parallel port outputs there are no surprises such as the spindle turning on momentarily as the breakout board disables all outputs.

Cheers

Peter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    -------------------------------------------------
    Homann Designs - http://www.homanndesigns.com/store