586,108 active members*
3,130 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking Machines > Benchtop Machines > Cheap Ballscrews for Everyone...

Cheap Ballscrews for Everyone...

Alot of people here wanting to convert an X2 or maybe an X3 machine look for ballscrews but do not want to spend lots of money. I get a catalog from Surplus Center and found a pair of ballscrews for $15. They do not specify the grade of the screws. They look cheap but I plan on buying a pair and loading them with oversized balls for my X2 since I have been using the lead screws for 2 years now and have acquired .02" of backlash on my X axis.

They have a thread length of 17" but, the only problem is that the screws are 1" dia 4 TPI. This is larger than the screws on my ZX-45. It would require a bit of modification but I am going to try it anyway.

Surplus Center - 1"-4 RECIRCULATING BALL LEAD SCREW (PAIR)

For a X2 you will struggle to get the screws under the saddles let alone the nuts - bit TOO big methinks! Cheap is only cheap if its useful!

It may be a struggle but I think it is possible, and for $15 for 2 screws I see no reason not to try.... If it doesn't work out I can always use them for something else.

They are a great find, keeping them in mind if an application comes up

I believe you will end up removing most of the table and saddle in the process of fitting those things on an X2. Try to make some cardboard models to get a feel of it's size and try to see if you can fit that anywhere.

How does that work, a ball screw with an acme thread?
    Al.
    CNC, Mechatronics Integration and Custom Machine Design

“Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere.”
    Albert E.

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Al.
    It works well in surplus

The Blight,

I have my stock screws from my ZX-45 that are 1" in dia. I can slide the screw in there without modification but I know I will have to cut a bit out for the nut. In the worst case I would have to replace the saddle and table of my X2 if this doesn't work out.... But I doubt I would even do that. I would probably just take the electronics off and convert my 7X10 lathe.

Al_The_Man,

I'm pretty sure they are using the ACME as a term to describe the thread, but we will find out next week since I just ordered 2 Pair of them. I will post up some better pics than what is on there site and let you guys know how the backlash and stuff is.

Threads are ballscrew.
    After shipping cost was $50 for 2 sets ( 4 screws)
    Figured at that cost it was something to play with.
    Nuts are 1.5 X 1.5 and 1.75 long , + .6" for the flange screw. Checking the roton website it looks to be the same dimensions as their 1" screw but screw is slightly less than 1" ( 0.975 ).
    Not having seen any other ballscrew so I can not tell the quality of it compared to others but it is not shiny and bright as the pictures in catalogs show.
    Cleaning off all the grease the nut rotates easily and giving it a spin it will run down the screw on its own.
    It does not show signs of wear. I can not test for backlash for an other month but it does not feel bad.
    The mounting flange is steel and is 2.36X 2.36 X.37
    Tested balls in one and they measured .155 which seems to be an odd size? Could be 5/32 = .15625 worn down or poor measuring ???

George

Quote Originally Posted by Al_The_Man View Post
    Al.
    maybe they use cubed spheres ::cheers:
    ● Distribuidor Syil en Argentina ● "www.syil.com.ar" ●

JUNK!! I bought a pair of these a couple weeks ago.... both screws were bent and the nuts were really loose. Maybe ill find a use for them somewhere other than my cnc. Good thing they were cheap!

This guy posted about this earlier this month.

http://www.cnczone.com/forums/genera...rews_nuts.html

eartaker, have you received the screws yet, and have you done any further thinking about fitting them to the X2?

I have received the screws but haven't done anything with them yet since I am still working on the ZX-45