586,111 active members*
3,271 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > are stepper motor kits on ebay any good

are stepper motor kits on ebay any good

was looking at a stepper motor kit on ebay with 3 motors and boards, i want to build a router about 24x24 inch travel. how big of motors do you think will work. i would love to be able to machine some very light aluminum also

thanks
    phil

Did you ever get that stepper motor kit off of Ebay from longs-motors? I see stepper systems being shipped out of China at what seem like good prices, but am curious about quality, instructions/documentation and ease of use. I'd like to start building some stepper motor systems, but don't know where to start.

Thanks,
    Matt

Well I think this is a difficult question to answer as there is such a wide verity of drivers/motors available on eBay.
    You can purchase a Gecko 540 with motors on eBay which for home/hobby use is probably a very good choice. If you have a specific combo you want an opinion on ask about it, someone with far more experience than me will give you a hand.

longs motor ebay

Quote Originally Posted by budavita View Post
    Did you ever get that stepper motor kit off of Ebay from longs-motors? I see stepper systems being shipped out of China at what seem like good prices, but am curious about quality, instructions/documentation and ease of use. I'd like to start building some stepper motor systems, but don't know where to start.

Thanks,
    Matt
    yes friends,
    i have 3 stepper drivers from longs-motors 4.2A 45 volts bipolar and they are better than USA made probotix stepper drivers. With in built thermal and short circuit protection.
    Geckos are good as well. won't need any shipping to you. Geckos deliver more rpm and torque i have heard.
    It is better to die for something than to live for nothing.

Longsmotors kit

I ordered a kit from Longsmotors but it has poor documentation. Below is a link of my current wiring diagram which is not working. I'm getting a red LED on the stepper motor driver. Green LED on the breakout board. No success with Mach3.. any suggestions on the wiring?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

@eirigoyen

You generally want to start your own thread if you have specific issues or questions.

Also please use this sites image (document) upload service. I get strange popups on that imageshack site.

Quote Originally Posted by eirigoyen View Post
    I ordered a kit from Longsmotors but it has poor documentation. Below is a link of my current wiring diagram which is not working. I'm getting a red LED on the stepper motor driver. Green LED on the breakout board. No success with Mach3.. any suggestions on the wiring?

ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting
    I haven't found any documentation on your driver, however I would be surprised if it would be happy with +24 volts on the Enable + input. Normally such inputs are designed for +5 volts (but without documentation, there's no way to know for certain).

Do you have access to an oscilloscope (or a friend who has one)? You need to check to see whether you are receiving step pulses from Mach3 out of the breakout board.

Also, you do not appear to have a ground connection between your breakout board and your driver. I would connect the Puls- and the Dir- and the Enbl- to the ground terminal from your breakout board instead of to the V- terminal of your 24 volt power supply.