586,076 active members*
3,783 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 3 of 7 12345
    1024 X 768 (a standard VGA resolution), is the max setting on my monitor and i am missing part of the screen still. ill try to post an screen shot of how things look.

i am able to complete the "setup,testing and calibration of the DTHC2 and DCP-01" according to the instructions.

one piece of important information i have not found in any of the supplied manuals is what are the correct pins for connecting the floating head touch off switch. i assume its the "home Z" but maybe its something else? i ran a quick test when i hooked up the floating head switch and i can see the light on the board stays on till i used my hand to push the floating head up and activate the switch. this may be covered some where in the instructions but after reading it over and over i didnt see anyplace that said "this is where you connect the switch for the floating torch head" so i took an guess.

maybe i have the system setup properly and its my lack of knowledge for sheetcam that is preventing me from being able to run the system. i am using the mp3000-DTHC post processes in sheetcam.

im going start setting up the DTHC2 all over again using info from the DTHCII-setup_install-full manual dated 4-11-11 maybe i missed something in my work yesterday.

thanks

1024 X 768 (a standard VGA resolution), is the max setting on my monitor and I am missing part of the screen still. ill try to post an screen shot of how things look.
    That must be a REALLY old monitor or a REALLY old video card. Most monitors made after 2005 do at least 1280 X 1024 and Windows and most video cards do that resolution and several in between. Even the cheap used Dell computers I have been buying (3 to 5 year old units) do the 1280 one. If you just have the generic Windows VGA driver for your PC it may limit the choices. If you get the driver for your video card it will have more choices once installed. The choices you see are not controlled by the monitor but by the video card. If you try to run a resolution the monitor cannot handle most will either just not display anything (which is why when you change resolutions Windows lets you test it first) or on later monitors will display an error on the screen.

Here is an excerpt from the DTHCII manual (starting at page 47): The clue that Z home is used, is in the fact that is the test procedure covered (and also the title) The manual has screen shots of the indicators.

SETTING UP YOUR Z AXIS FOR AUTOMATIC TOUCH-OFF.

Make sure your Z is calibrated. When you move it 1” by the DRO it actually moves exactly 1”.
    If it does not find the axis setup section in the manual for your control and run the axis setup
    and calibration. All axis MUST have the correct Steps per Unit setting in MACH.
    Check to make sure your Z HOME is working. Make sure MACH is out of RESET. Open
    MACH to the DIAGNOSTIC Tab and watch the upper right quadrant while you manually trip the
    Z switch on the Floating Torch Holder. It should light the Z Home LED (only).

Raise your Z above a piece of material. Run a Ref Z move on Z by clicking on the Ref Z
    button next to the Z DRO (readout). The Z should start to move down towards the
    material. If it moves in the wrong direction STOP the move and use the CONFIG
    HOMING/LIMITS in MACH to change the polarity of the Home Neg value. To change it
    click on the symbol (green check or red X) and it will change to the other value. Save it by
    clicking OK.

When the Torch Tip hits the metal the Z will continue to move down until it trips the
    switch. The Z should stop and reverse slightly.
    Use the Z Zero Button (next to the Z DRO) and reset the Z DRO to 0.000.

You may want to lower your Jog % in the Diagnostics Tab to 10% or less to slow down
    the manual jog rate. Carefully jog the Z up using the keyboard hotkey (default is Page
    Up Key) until you can slip a piece of paper under the torch tip.
    Perform the move again and confirm the value. Once you have several readings within
    .005 then write down the Z DRO reading
    The value you have is the Net Switch Offset and will be used in either MACH OR in
    SHEETCAM (post) but NOT BOTH.

CandCNC
    Page 47

Note: in the steps listed the Z home is NOT on (active) UNTIL it is tripped. If it is on and goes off when tripped then that is wrong. The switch may be connected as Normally closed. Most switches have both NC and NO (normally open) contacts and common. Just switch contacts so it comes ON when you trip the switch. If you can't figure out how to make the switch work right. then reverse the setting in MACH in the Z Home Active Low column (Ports & Pins/Input Signals).

thanks for the tips, im in the shop now going back over everything and found an new issue when i started everything up for the day that i have to correct before im able to get back to setup.

the ark okay is light at all times in mach3. yesterday i was able to do the test detailed in the instructions with no issues. light would come on in mach3 only when i pressed the switch on the thc pwm and would turn off when i let go. now the light is on from the instance i have mach3 on and the system powered up. i can unhook the cat5 cable from the dthc2 on the bladerunner system and the arc okay still stays light. this has me stumped as i didn't have this issue when i went thru all the testing procedures.

Quote Originally Posted by tig-racer View Post
    thanks for the tips, im in the shop now going back over everything and found an new issue when i started everything up for the day that i have to correct before im able to get back to setup.

the ark okay is light at all times in mach3. yesterday i was able to do the test detailed in the instructions with no issues. light would come on in mach3 only when i pressed the switch on the thc pwm and would turn off when i let go. now the light is on from the instance i have mach3 on and the system powered up. i can unhook the cat5 cable from the dthc2 on the bladerunner system and the arc okay still stays light. this has me stumped as i didn't have this issue when i went thru all the testing procedures.
    That is covered in the manual and numerous time on the support forum but I will save you the trouble.....open the Cut Profile (button in the middle) for stored settings. Find the ARC OK Current setting. Change it to a value above zero. 40 would be fine. The ARC OK will go out.

thanks for the help on the ark okay light issue. i am at an loss as to why it would get set differently after i shut down the system yesterday. now i know for sure what to look at if it happens again.

not sure if you got the mach3 math for your table yet but you can use my calculator

DAA | ENTERPRISES

Quote Originally Posted by gurew View Post
    not sure if you got the mach3 math for your table yet but you can use my calculator

DAA | ENTERPRISES
    Cool! Bookmarked it if you don't mind. I will soon be down this path.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

after going back thru from the beginning i once again think the system is setup for an test run. new issue is an fault code on the plasma system. fresh out the box from hypertherm powermax 85 gives me an fault code "0-19" each time i try to start an cut. i am now dead in the water on getting this system up and running due to not having an clue where to start correcting this plasma fault code. the manual says this fault is caused by "power-board hardware protection. one or more power board hardware faults (or noise) detected.

odd thing is i can unhook the CandCnC CPC connection from the plasma unit and activate the torch with the supplied remote pendent via the CPC port and the torch fires fine. i wonder if there is something not getting along between the CandCnC CPC connection and the plasma unit.

i have tried resetting everything a few times and get this error each time i try to make an cut.

is there anyone who has first hand experience with the DTHC2 and an powermax 85 plasma unit connected thru the CPC port?

update: i spoke with jim colt from hypertherm about my issue and he helped me try running the system w/ out the CandCnC hooked up and all is fine with the powermax 85 system.

now to figure out what in the CandCnC bladerunner system would cause this issue.

side question, are there any videos out on the web that go over setting up the CandCnC bladerunner system? would be nice to see first hand how some of the stuff works as there seems to be a few steps here and there skipped in the manual.

removed the CandCNC CPC (part #MIC-01) cable from the system and took a good look at it, all seems fine but the pins that connect the CPC to the plasma unit. pins 3,4 and 5 stick thru the CPC plug quiet a bit more (about .25") than the others. maybe these pins are not making a good connection due to the excess presser applied to them when the plug is connected? i will try to take an photo of this but its not the largest thing on earth so it may not turn out too well.

jim colt suggested this fault is most likely caused by an short in the CPC cable. so i am doing my best to inspect the cable without voiding its warranty. im not removing any shielding or tampering with it in any way.

after going back thru from the beginning i once again think the system is setup for an test run. new issue is an fault code on the plasma system. fresh out the box from hypertherm powermax 85 gives me an fault code "0-19" each time i try to start an cut. i am now dead in the water on getting this system up and running due to not having an clue where to start correcting this plasma fault code. the manual says this fault is caused by "power-board hardware protection. one or more power board hardware faults (or noise) detected.
    Does the torch fire remotely from the TORCH ON Button on the screen? Will it fire the torch in the iar without throwing the error code?

All the system uses to fire the torch is a set of relay contacts in the THC Sensor PWM module. If the cable is good the Hypertherm sees the same thing as the switch in the remote pendant. There is a light on the front of the THC SENSOR PWM for the Torch signal. IF it is on the relay is energized and the contacts are closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Torchhead View Post
    Does the torch fire remotely from the TORCH ON Button on the screen? Will it fire the torch in the iar without throwing the error code?

All the system uses to fire the torch is a set of relay contacts in the THC Sensor PWM module. If the cable is good the Hypertherm sees the same thing as the switch in the remote pendant. There is a light on the front of the THC SENSOR PWM for the Torch signal. IF it is on the relay is energized and the contacts are closed.
    when i tried to test run the system the torch fires for 1sec then the error appears on the hypertherm readout and the plasma unit shuts down to protect its self.

the "torch on" light on the PWM does turn on and stay on after the plasma shuts its self down due to error.

i can see "torch on" is light in the DRO is also light on mach3.

when i removed the "MIC-01" cable from the plasma unit and used the hypertherm remote pendant to operate the torch i do not get the 0-19 error.

UPDATE: jim colt suggested the issues to be

"on the connections to pins 3 and 4....that your cable is inputing a stray voltage.....when it should be just closing a contact (effectively connecting pin 3 to pin 4) to fire the plasma. Our internal board has a circuit that senses this to protect from incorrect interface wiring"

anyone have an suggestion as to an way to check this properly? im not sure i can simply connect an volt meter in line some how on these pins and test run the system to see what is going on.

system recap.

electronics

CandCnc.com

- Dragon-Cut 620-5
    ---DRAGON CUT w/Rotary Wizard and TubeSlicer
    ---DTHC II Module
    ---DCP-01
    ---MIC-01

-Hypertherm powermax 85 with CPC and machine torch

linear motion

- Hiwin track

- K2 CnC Z-axis with floating head (10tpi lead screw)

gear rack

- moore gear "20DP-20PA" rack

- CnCrouter parts Rack and Pinion Drive for 3/8 shaft motors (22tooh pulley)

frame

-80/20

software

- autocad 2011

- sheet cam TNG

- mach3

- ink scape

settings i changed in mach3 after initial setup

motors tuning

Y and X axis are set to "1735" steps (using cncrouterparts.com 2.73:1 with 22 tooth pulley for 3/8" shaft motor pulley option) verified 1" move in mach3 = 1" of real movement

Z axis is set to "2000" steps (using K2cnc Z - axis screw/ball with 10 tpi pitch) verified 1" move in mach3 = 1" of real movement

hey tig-racer,

Has your computer been hooked to the internet? How fresh is the OS install? Any virus protection running? Sounds like you have some mog-wies running around inside your computer. Have you tried shutting everything down (including service packs) while mach3 is running? What kind of shape is your memory? Is the right kind of memory?

We run Apple computers in our office and one thing they do not like is cheap memory. They do like viruses though, you can open them up and play with them and send them back out on there merry way. LOL

Just a thought, I have only had a window laptop for two years and it has always been on my cutter.

WSS
    www.metaltechus.com

Quote Originally Posted by WSS View Post
    hey tig-racer,

Has your computer been hooked to the internet? How fresh is the OS install? Any virus protection running? Sounds like you have some mog-wies running around inside your computer. Have you tried shutting everything down (including service packs) while mach3 is running? What kind of shape is your memory? Is the right kind of memory?

We run Apple computers in our office and one thing they do not like is cheap memory. They do like viruses though, you can open them up and play with them and send them back out on there merry way. LOL

Just a thought, I have only had a window laptop for two years and it has always been on my cutter.

WSS
    the computer running the cnc is brand new HP desktop pc with XP professional loaded, its not hooked to an network. its an dedicated pc for the cnc system. everything is up to date as of Sunday after noon. i connect it to the net work once an week to check for updates other wise its only for the CNC.

the problem i am having is between the blade runner and plasma unit. the error only effects the plasma unit and is displayed on the readout of the plasma unit if i use the "MIC-01" cable supplied to me from CandCnC.

i am once again at an standstill with getting this system running. i dont want to start taking things apart and poking around until i have heard back from jim colt and tom from CandCnC.

system is still not working. did try testing the mic-01 cable per toms suggestion. didnt find anything noticeably wrong with it.

tried again to test run the system and got the same error.

not sure where to go from here with testing the system to find what is causing this error.

Tig-racer,

Great thread for me. Thank you!

I've got a 4 1/2" travel K2 gantry. I'm going to be using, I hope, a PM45. Got a PM30 now (great cutter for the home shop). K2 gantry

Sorry about all the problems, I hope I'm learning from your challengers.

Like you said, "Need to make room to start the build."
    Shop consolidation link:
    Making room

My very short build start(much more to come): Decision making ... and start

http://www.enichesoftware.com/

Vern

system is still not working. did try testing the mic-01 cable per toms suggestion. didnt find anything noticeably wrong with it.

tried again to test run the system and got the same error.

not sure where to go from here with testing the system to find what is causing this error.
    You need to either post on one list or the other and quit bouncing back and forth, On the support forum I gave you a series of things to test that should have yielded results I could use to help you narrow it down. It included a test right at the THC Sensor PWM Start line. if you posted the detailed results on the CandCNCSupport Forum I am still woorking through post over there. I was out on a buying trip yesterday and will pay the price for the next 24 hrs getting caught back up.

i finally had some time to get back to testing my system in hopes to get past this (0-19) code.

i got an 22" monitor so i could see all of the mach3 screen.

now when i get the "0-19" code i can see that mach3 says ......

"drive 3 faulted.
    external Estop requested"

i also noticed that on the control unit the "drive fault" led is blinking (red led blinking) and the control unit set its self into "off" mode.

before i was resetting the control panel not paying any attention to it as i did so. i just rest it in hopes magically things would be better after restarting everything.

not sure what is causing this "driver 3 faulted" to happen. i am sitting at the keyboard hands at my side simply watching the system run the first few lines of the G-code.

sorry if me posting about my system on multiple sites is causing issues for anyone, im just trying to gain the best chance for advice as possible.

Drive faults on our system are caused by motors being overloaded or from the motor tuning being too aggressive. There is a load bar on the screen and provided you have the power parameters displaying you can see the load AMPs (Total for all drives) and even the internal case temp. The system is trying to tell you that the Z (3rd axis) is faulting. When it sees ANY fault the ESPII supply shuts does and tells you why. (both from the front panel idiot lights and via the FAULT test scroll bar on the screen.

If this is a stepper system then the only thing that causes an individual drive fault is an overload (peak drive current exceeds 11.5 A). The circuit is fast enough that it will react faster than the readouts on the screen. The thing to watch is the load bar as it it running and see waht the baseline looks like.

The Z works with different dynamics while it is cutting with the DTHC (THC logic in MACH enabled). The acceleration is increased to full (no acceleration curve) and the velocity is rolled back to compensate. The dynamics of a motor are such that velocity and acceleration play against each other. At some point you have to sacrifice one to get more of the other. Because the Z is making small tiny rapid movements under THC we make the acceleration very high so there is no delay in the smaller motions.

Anyway......the Z faulting will be from either a mechanical binding, or the motor tuning is too high for the speed and torque required.

Driver 3 is the Z drive. If it faults you have to assume the Z has been overload (if just for a fraction of a second) and it has shut down to protect the drive and to keep the machine from continuing to move with one dead axis (that is REALLY ugly).

For a servo system (our Plazpak 3, 4 or 5 ) the fault signal comes from the driver itself. Usually it means you have tried to move the motor faster than it can physically move (following error). The drive will fault from overcurrent but that is rare. Once again the motor tuning (and in the case of the Z faulting DURING a cut) the THC RATE setting in MACH3 are the things to check.

great info. Thanks Tom

Page 3 of 7 12345