586,119 active members*
3,666 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
Page 23 of 27 132122232425
    Yaknow what realy kills me, MDF, A cnc out of MDF??? WHY, WHY, WHY, this is quite possibly the worst material on the face of the planet to use, WHY you ask, MDF swells like theres no tommorow if you get it wet or even damp, so a few humid days and you now have a twizzler (whether you know it or not), as well as it has a tendency to crumble under pressure. Dont get me wrong wood will do the same thing (swell twist) but at least wood is porus so some water seal solves that problem and 2x4's are a lot cheaper and readily available.

I have over 4000 into my cnc and its still crap, needs to be adjusted every day, steel table (changes size every day), Steel Gantry (changes size every day), encoders (monitors the steps but dosent see the table changes so there almost useless), Slotted aluminum table top (warps because it dosent expand the same as the table), etc, ertc, etc...

point being that all the planning in the world and all the so called "good" equipment has problems as well, solution:
    Build a cheap cnc (under 1000 total and put it in a dedicated room with temp and humidity control (add 400 +-) this is the only way to achieve professional results without resorting to selling your house to buy a machine.

Thanks for the input

I agree that MDF is a poor material for low tollerance work. There a multitude of problems that come with using it. One problem that it doesnt present is cost. Even with its drawbacks there have been many references of getting down to 1/32" repeatable tollerance using MDF based designs. I havent built a CNC router yet but Id be darned happy with that kind of accuracy. I think the point here is can we put our heads together and come up with a plan that gives the most bang for the buck and comes within usable tollerances. Lets not forget that this is a CNC wood router were talking about, not a machine capable of doing low tollerance machining. Theres some really sharp minds and well experienced members in this site, hopefully the direction that this thread was started on can get revived. This is a darned worthy cause and a good challenge for the people in this group. Im not quite capable of doing this all on my own but I will help with CAD dwgs or Solidworks models and I have a decent design backround. Im willing to try, anybody else still care?

I think that part of the problem with this post losing steam is that it became unorganized.

Make a new thread and start over but with guidelines!

Check out http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39501

This is the bona fide hardware store build. The only components that are not found in a hardware store are the lovejoy couplers and the skate bearings. I'm sure the couplers can be fabricated out of some device in one of the aisles.

Yup, I'm using MDF. I love the stuff, but I'm not putting it out in the rain, it's inside my tiny climate controlled apartment (actually in the bathroom). Also, MDF has an incredibly high modulus of elasticity, even higher than hdpe, so I like it for the lack of flex, especially the 3/4" stuff. Disclaimer: I'm a hobbist.

So, check it out an tell me what you think. Is this the quienticential hardware store build? http://www.BuildYourCNC.com
    Employment motivation: fun and happiness, not money!
    Video build log: http://www.buildyourcnc.com

The best solution to using a router to make multiple copies of a pattern is to use a collar mounted to the router base and an appropriate bit. The pattern needs to be under sized to accommodate the collar. If you imagined drawing a boarder around the part that was equal to ½ the difference between the collar diameter ant the bit diameter, that would be the size of your pattern. Then you can make as many trips around the pattern as it takes to cut whatever thickness of material you have.

Steve

this is the first time I have posted have read a few articles and posts about cnc router homebuilt machines I am now retired ex toolmaker with tendancy to over engineer designs I would love to see some pics of some of the suggestions of draw sliders being used to guide I am also keen to build a machine for myself but forced retirement left me with little funds to play with plenty of time and enthusiasm you guys sound as if your having plenty of fun regards to all shiney

Hardware Store CNC

Hello All

I've had a quick read of this forum. I think it's a blast I enjoy doing exactly what you are trying to do build a CNC machine as inexpensively as possible. Attached are a few pictures of my $50 CDN mini mill and the Z-Axis I built with it. Hope this inspires you to go ahead and give it a whirl.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails mill photos 002.jpg   mill photos 001.jpg   mill photos 003.jpg   mill photos 005.jpg  

mill photos 006.jpg  

Rail Extension Kit for Screw Drive Garage Door Opener

Forgive me if I missed it, I just did a quick scan of the thread.
    I was wondering if anyone had ever tried using a screw drive from a garage door opener to drive an axis? I wonder how the acuracy compares to threaded rod or belt drive home systems.

I was searching the sears.com web site looking for a part and saw this item -

Craftsman 8 ft. Rail Extension Kit for Craftsman Screw Drive Garage Door Openers $19.99

Very Interesting

Very interesting cnc build. Your Z axis is pretty neat.

I'll have to get back into CNC this fall when things start cooling off!

Mike...

Quote Originally Posted by TCSpooner View Post
    Hello All

I've had a quick read of this forum. I think it's a blast I enjoy doing exactly what you are trying to do build a CNC machine as inexpensively as possible. Attached are a few pictures of my $50 CDN mini mill and the Z-Axis I built with it. Hope this inspires you to go ahead and give it a whirl.

Hey Mike, welcome back! Your thread is still alive.

Steve

Thanks,

I'll have a lot of catching up to do...

If you're wondering what I've been up to, sneak a peek at my forum. (It's in my Profile) It's only too bad that my CNC machine isn't big enough to cut the sides for it.

Mike...

Quote Originally Posted by spalm View Post
    Hey Mike, welcome back! Your thread is still alive.

Steve

Smile

Thanks for the compliment Mike. I wanted people to see that drawer slides are a viable way of providing linear motion inexpensively. In order to over come some of the flex problems with drawer slides I mounted them at 30deg so that the angle between the drawer slides is 150deg this makes the Z-Axis on the "frankin mill" the most ridgid of the the axies. "don't know how to spell the plural of axis" I understand the black pipe method is very effective but setting up the bearings seems very labour intensive. With that in mind I tried drawer slides and am quite happy with them.

Good to have you back Mike. That's some obsession you have there, over 9000 posts, wow.

Do we see a monster cnc in the works, one that can cut 12'x7' maybe?

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by CNCadmin View Post
    OK start the ball rolling on a hardware store design CNC router.
    Hi;
    I am looking at the possibility of building a CNC router table to do Ice carvings. The single block measures about 11"x22"x42" and weighs about 300 pounds. Do you have any ideas?

[email protected]

Question Canadian stepper supplier

Hi all,
    I'm building my own hardware store CNC router with drawer rails, just for experimenting and learning. However I find difficult to find a good place to purchase stepper motor in Montreal (or whole Canada!). Most suppliers are in the USA, and I really don't like ending to deal with the customs. Any hints where I could get my stuff?

Thank you in advance!
    Harlock

Quote Originally Posted by harlock View Post
    Hi all,
    I'm building my own hardware store CNC router with drawer rails, just for experimenting and learning. However I find difficult to find a good place to purchase stepper motor in Montreal (or whole Canada!). Most suppliers are in the USA, and I really don't like ending to deal with the customs. Any hints where I could get my stuff?

Thank you in advance!
    Harlock
    What about EBay?
    Please check out my CNC blog
    http://cncinside.com

Hi all
    Another possible for the drive shafts is the acme threaded rod from
    a car jack, up to two feet long and you get a nut thrown in. some of these
    have had little if any use and are in new condition. keep up the good work

Got Plans, Pictures etc....?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by studysession View Post
    What about EBay?
    I looked through Ebay and most of the sellers are from the USA. Now with the Canadian-USA exchange rates, things would have been interesting, but I just hate dealing with customs taxes. Bummers.

I've found a pretty good deal here in Montreal. I ended up purchasing 5 servo with integrated microstepping drivers. The supplier had them as leftover from a customer who was supposed to purchase them years ago. Now they're discontinued, but they're perfect for me. They're supposed to put 239 in-oz.

I don't have pictures yet. All I have built for now is the X table out of drawer slides and anti-backlash nut.

p.s.: DON'T use birch plywood. I though it would have made a nice rigid frame, but now it's all bent and chips like hell when drilling through. I bet MDF would have made a better job.

Page 23 of 27 132122232425