586,121 active members*
3,758 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > WoodWorking Machines > DIY CNC Router Table Machines > Looking for someone to Collaborate with on Home CnC concepts (Ann Arbor)

Looking for someone to Collaborate with on Home CnC concepts (Ann Arbor)

(Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I'm asking every group I can)

I have a semi-working CnC machine /Reprap platform (never got the Extruder head attached, but I do have a working one) (Design is from the Make your own CnC Machine book (2'x4', Bearings on angle irons/Leadscrews) (How well it works is irrelevant, I just want the concept/software working)

Working in the sense that I can control all axes fine, and rudimentary G-Code, but nothing beyond that yet.
    (The machine can only handle G-code, and possibly .stl)
    Currently has a Small router attached for Styrofoam/PCB/Wood/Plastic? (Cheap manual speed control)

Problem is, I hate software... I have a feeling anyone who knows what they're doing could get me/mine working as I'd like within an hour or four, but if they could, why would they?
    I can only offer my time/machine time in return, trade for pneumatic parts? Or buy ya food or beers or something :)

In my experience all free CAM software is outdated and has little functionality... (Should be one program that can take PCBs, Flat images, most 3D formats, simulate, and export g-code)

Current Software suite:

CAMBAM, Lazycam, and Inventor for primary design/CAM
    edrawings to view DXF (Paraview sucks)
    struggling to get a working simulator for g code,
    struggling to get a DXF - STL converter (and 2d dxf to 3d dxf) (I can't use the python script :(
    about 4 different programs for Bumpmapping and turning images into 3D
    and Eagle schematic for PCB design, then a .drl-G-code converter, and Gerber to g-code converter

I have no qualms against piracy and massive dreams for this stuff, if you feel you can help me or I can help you, please feel free to email/msg me,
    Though due to the immovability of the machine I'd really like local help.

Thank you for your time and have a great day!
    -Johnny Graves

Not familiar with the softwares you are currently using. If you already have any software that you can generate a DXF with, I recommend VCarve Pro. I have no financial interests in it, just really like working with it. Very user friendly, and comes with many included posts to output your G-code. This software brought my router alive years ago, and I'm still using it today. You can even generate simple programs from scratch within it.

Jim

Look up HeeksCNC, it's free, opensource, and 100% LEGAL. It's also quite professional looking to the hobbist's eyes. Check out DanHeeks(the creator of HeeksCNC) on youtube to watch tutorials, i found it hard at first since i'm used to Vectric's demo software, but you'll get the hang of it.
    A machine is only as accurate as the tools used to build it. "CNC = Computer Numeric Control - or on some days - CNC = Can Not Control" Imagineering

You could so your design in SketchUp, which DOES have a skp to sxf and stl plugin, and is free. You can use FreeMill as well for stl files. Also there's a progran called phlatscript, which can generate toolpaths from SketchUp files, though it's only 2D I believe.

As for free software... well, you get what you pay for. You can get EMC2 for free, and that's a really good controller software. Cut2D is only $149, and will do pretty much all your 2D and 2-1/2D cutting no problem.

As for CamBam,check out what some people are making with it in their forum; some guy is making a WRISTWATCH, pretty insane...

edit: I don't advocate piracy; just the feeling of achievement in saving for, and purchasing software legally, is a reward in itself, and a life lesson in growing up. If you have all this pirated software, and your machine is only half-running, and you're looking for someone to help you set your machine up, that explains a lot...

Thanks, I tried pretty much all free and non-free software

I'd exclusively generate .stl given the choice, but I know I'll need to take other people's files at some point.

I was more looking for 1-1 local help if possible
    just seemed like the best place to ask.

Edit: None of my current software is pirated, I majored in NC so I have Inventor, I was just mentioning I was open to it if someone who could help was only used to X software and needed it on my machine

I had no idea were to start with CNC, so I went with a kit from
    Bluumax CNC, basically all had to do was bolt stuff together and
    do some wiring, a kit helps a lot, but it still took a few weekends
    to figure it all out and basic assembly.

I tried EMC2, had problems, spent days doing Google searches,
    wasted about a week, I then tried Mach3, and in about a day I
    had it up and running, so yea "you get what you pay for".

I tried a bunch of cad programs, honestly most confused me, and I was
    unable to use them, but I found two that were pretty simple, DeltaCAD,
    and Cadstd, I ended up buying DeltaCAD.

Software I use,

CNC Control Software:

Mach3 - Simple, Easy and well documented, uses G-code
    to move your CNC.

Cad:

DeltaCAD - Simple and fairly easy to use.

Cam:

Cut2D - I use this every time I use my CNC router, takes your 2d
    vector or cad file and turns it into G-code, and is very simple to use.

CamBam - I sometimes use the free version to help convert files.

Drawing/ Image Editing:

Gimp - Raster Image Editing and Free.

Paint.NET - Raster Drawing, Image Editing and Free.

Inkscape - Vector drawing software and Free.

IrfanView - Image Viewer, Image converter, like a Swiss army
    knife for images.

CorelDRAW - Vector drawing, Costs Money, but good, almost
    like a Cad program in some ways, BTW most cheap copies
    of this software on eBay are pirated

Microsoft Paint - Raster drawing, I find it sometimes easier
    and quicker to start with this and then move to other software
    to finish on.

WinTopo - Raster to Vector Converter, Free and Paid versions,
    I sometimes use the free version to convert something I made
    up in Microsoft Paint or Paint.NET and then clean it up in something
    like Inkscape, CorelDRAW or even DeltaCAD

As far as software, for 2d stuff, Mach3 and Cut2D may be all you
    need, the rest could be freeware, but I would add a commercial
    CAD program, could be a cheap one like DeltaCAD, or a free
    commercial CAD software like "Solid Edge 2D Free".

I'd exclusively generate .stl given the choice, but I know I'll need to take other people's files at some point.
    Depends on what you'll be doing, but .stl is usually one of the less desirable options. In most cases simple 2D .dxf files are the easiest to work with, give you more control, and result in faster cut times.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

Bottom line: you will have to learn software if you are going to work with cnc. You will also need to learn how to write g-code, even if your software can produce it because you will need to make manual changes.

Like previously mentioned, you get what you pay for. If you want free, check out:
    cnc4free.org homepage
    He has great links to a ton of free and trial stuff, and some excellent tutorials. The learning curve is tougher on free and open source stuff, but it can be done. You just have to do it - there's no shortcut.

If you want easy and more "plug-n-play" then you are going to have to pay for it. Learning curve is much shorter. IMHO a great starter combo would be Mach3 with Vectric's Cut2D. Add your favorite graphics software and you can do quite a bit of damage to innocent blocks of material. Minimal learning curve with tremendous support, including very active forums like this one.

One program will not do everything~
    My current list of programs I use regularly:
    Solidworks
    Mastercam
    VCarvePro
    PhotoVCarve
    Adobe Photoshop
    Adobe Illustrator
    Micrografx PhotoShop
    Micrografx Windows Draw
    PaintShopPro
    Meshlab
    CrazyBump
    Inkscape
    Mach3
    VectorArt 3D Machinist

There's more that I only use occasionally, and already more I need to buy for capabilities not found in the above list.
    Dig in and start learning

Quote Originally Posted by Jack777 View Post
    Thanks, I tried pretty much all free and non-free software

Edit: None of my current software is pirated, I majored in NC so I have Inventor, I was just mentioning I was open to it if someone who could help was only used to X software and needed it on my machine
    Aaah ok. By the way your first post was worded you seemed to be asking for pirated software.

I still suggest you buy software; at least Mach3 and possilbly Cut2D to start. The benefit is that you now get tech support and eligible for upgrade discounts. Cut2D has a pretty good simulator as well. For 3D Cut3D and MeshCam are great. These three are probably the simplest ones you can use; I was up and running in about a half hour with Cut2D...

Quote Originally Posted by Jack777 View Post

It might help if you gave your location. USA is a large area to cover

He said Ann Arbor. I'm assuming that puts him about 90 minutes from me. Or 30-40 minutes from Detroit.
    Gerry

UCCNC 2017 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2017.html

Mach3 2010 Screenset
    http://www.thecncwoodworker.com/2010.html

JointCAM - CNC Dovetails & Box Joints
    http://www.g-forcecnc.com/jointcam.html

(Note: The opinions expressed in this post are my own and are not necessarily those of CNCzone and its management)

WCCnet.edu