586,036 active members*
3,695 visitors online*
Register for free
Login

more spindle problems

New to CNC -so of course I need help. (also posted on Mach3 forum).

Short history - I just bought a used Syil X4+ from Keith in Canada. I am using an old Dell Dimension 2400 and have installed a Rosewill parallel board (removed the on-board parallel and serial ports via the BIOS) and Mach3 (ver R3.043.022).
    What little I have tried seems to work except the spindle direction (and I think the dwell or delay). The spindle will only turn CCW. Changing the DirLowActive setting or checking/unchecking the reverse option do not make any difference. Keith has been helping me but we have not had any luck.
    I tested the parallel cable with an ohm meter, all pins have continuity from end to end. I took a look at the wiring in the back (pushed all plug-ins to make sure they are seated). Today I added the parallel port card.
    Keith said they tested everything before it was shipped and it ran OK. He has still to send the exact *.xml file that they used to test with, but I have been using the generic file that Keith usually provides with an X4+ (I have tried a few others I found, all with the same results).
    A couple of things I notice but don't understand. When I start the spindle a lot of times I get the message "PWM bumped to minimum setting" What does that mean? The green "led" around "CV MODE" is lit. Don't know what that means either.
    Just discovered that as I increase spindle speed with the green speed bar the spindle actually slows down before it speeds up, and it never gets up to the speed shown (about 1/2 according to the front panel display).
    With my limited knowledge in all areas covered by this forum I don't have much to reciprocate with other than my sincere thanks, but you will surely have that.
    Mike aka groundhog719

please sent me the board pic with series number at [email protected]
    Direction,Commitment,Follow through

Quote Originally Posted by groundhog719 View Post
    New to CNC -so of course I need help. (also posted on Mach3 forum).

Short history - I just bought a used Syil X4+ from Keith in Canada. I am using an old Dell Dimension 2400 and have installed a Rosewill parallel board (removed the on-board parallel and serial ports via the BIOS) and Mach3 (ver R3.043.022).
    What little I have tried seems to work except the spindle direction (and I think the dwell or delay). The spindle will only turn CCW. Changing the DirLowActive setting or checking/unchecking the reverse option do not make any difference. Keith has been helping me but we have not had any luck.
    I tested the parallel cable with an ohm meter, all pins have continuity from end to end. I took a look at the wiring in the back (pushed all plug-ins to make sure they are seated). Today I added the parallel port card.
    Keith said they tested everything before it was shipped and it ran OK. He has still to send the exact *.xml file that they used to test with, but I have been using the generic file that Keith usually provides with an X4+ (I have tried a few others I found, all with the same results).
    A couple of things I notice but don't understand. When I start the spindle a lot of times I get the message "PWM bumped to minimum setting" What does that mean? The green "led" around "CV MODE" is lit. Don't know what that means either.
    Just discovered that as I increase spindle speed with the green speed bar the spindle actually slows down before it speeds up, and it never gets up to the speed shown (about 1/2 according to the front panel display).
    With my limited knowledge in all areas covered by this forum I don't have much to reciprocate with other than my sincere thanks, but you will surely have that.
    Mike aka groundhog719
    If you bought a used machine from the Canadian dealer, that probably means he sold it to someone else and for some reason it came back to him. Reading all these posts, it's likely it was returned because the original owner couldn't get it to work either. Dealing with those Chinese electronics will be a long and torturous path.

Solved??

Problem solved - I guess.

After trying many things suggested by a few people way more knowledgeable than me I gave up. Took a break and when I came back it was working. I think I (we) had it down to the computer not changing pin #1 to low. I don't have any idea why it works now and didn't before I left it for a few hours.

I hate it when things "fix" themselves, but at least it is working - for now!

Thanks all for the help.

Again!

The problem came back. Spindle would only turn in CCW direction.

Had enough and started tearing stuff apart. Found a broken wire on pin #1, mill end of the parallel cable. Re-soldered it and all is working (again).

groundhog719

And while you have it apart, give EVERY crimped wire a tug.
    You will find some. !!!:idea:
    Typically, an inadequate tool(s) has been used to crimp wires.:stickpoke
    especially check the stepper motor wires, as an intermittent wire can damage - read that as kill - a driver.:boxing:
    Once ALL crimps have been fixed, things can become quite sane.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.

And while you have it apart, give EVERY crimped wire a tug.
    I've been doing that the last 2 days! Driving me crazy. I kept finding a connection that was questionable and get all excited thinking I found the problem. No such luck.

You are right though. I found quite a few terminations that were not as good as I thought they should be.

I'm still having a hard time trying to understand how pin #1 could have tested high all the time if the wire was broken. Must have been jumping to a close by pin??

Anyway, I'm happy until it doesn't work again.

groundhog719

All connections should be crimped, because if you solder them vibration will eventually fatigue the wire where the solder stops.
    If you must solder, double support with heatshrink, and absolutely tie and restrain the offending cable from vibrating.
    Given time the wire will usually break.
    Have ever seen soldered wires in a car? -- Only by the backyard mechanic.
    Vibration + solder = broken connection.
    Super X3. 3600rpm. Sheridan 6"x24" Lathe + more. Three ways to fix things: The right way, the other way, and maybe your way, which is possibly a faster wrong way.