586,103 active members*
3,383 visitors online*
Register for free
Login
IndustryArena Forum > MetalWorking > MetalWork Discussion > 62" + vernier calipers?

62" + vernier calipers?

Hi, we are needing to purchase a vernier caliper that measures at least 62". Anyone have some ideas for me. What would be a good brand to try and where to get them? I know Starret and Mitituyo are good brands, but we are wondering if there would be a good China built vernier. Let me know if you have some thoughts. Thanks

I heard the chinese company called Wecantmeasure**** have some pretty cheap ones. But a stanley Tape measure would be just as accurate

I think I would definately go with starrett or Mitituyo If you buy a chinesse or other JUNK brand,you will get what you pay for JUNK.
    Its going to be hard enough to calibrate those calipers/vernier and this is just a guess but I am betting you will take them out of the box and use them as is with out checking them, so get a decent one.

The only reason I mention this is cause your looking for a cheaper way out, however what lots of people fail to realize is that cheap isnt good especially in something your going to use to measure parts with that are that long, theres alot of factors in that length that will throw you measurements off big time.
    if the cost is a problem, get a set of gage blocks stack them up and a big chunk of alum bar, throw a 1" dial gage on it ( kinda like a muller bar set-up).

if you dont have Gage blocks long enough, youd better buy a good quality set of calipers/verniers and have them verified.